Death of a Friend

brianthainess

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

Is there a contact address on this sire for the Embassy. I have a vague memory of seeing it a while ago.

Google provides this:

Located in: AIA Sathon Tower

AddressAIA Sathorn Tower, Floor 12 A 11/1 S Sathon Rd, Sathon, Bangkok 10120

Hours
Open 24 hours

Edited by lopburi3
Add what to do website
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

I will dig a bit deeper into the bowels of my pc and hard drives to see what I can turn up with.

I have been digging deeper into some old recovered files and found an XLS file that I started back in 2013 and I have now started updating.

You need to contact the Embassy by phone not email. Even after hours there will be  a Duty Officer you can speak to. Tell them it is to report death of a UK citizen.

Their involvement is not just for "paperwork purposes".  It is primarily to insure next of kin are notified and the body released only to (or in accordance with the instructions of) next of kin. If he has a Thai wife (legally married ) then that step  will  be quick. She will have to show marriage certificate.

Secondarily they can issue a document in English confirming he died abroad based on his Thai death certificate. This may be necessary to get any assets in the UK released and also for his wife to claim any death benefits or survivor pension she might be entitled to.

Again, Amar can do all this gor you ou at very reasonable cost. They have contacts with all the Embassies and know each Embassy's procedures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You need to contact the Embassy by phone not email. Even after hours there will be  a Duty Officer you can speak to. Tell them it is to report death of a UK citizen.

Their involvement is not just for "paperwork purposes".  It is primarily to insure next of kin are notified and the body released only to (or in accordance with the instructions of) next of kin. If he has a Thai wife (legally married ) then that step  will  be quick. She will have to show marriage certificate.

Secondarily they can issue a document in English confirming he died abroad based on his Thai death certificate. This may be necessary to get any assets in the UK released and also for his wife to claim any death benefits or survivor pension she might be entitled to.

Again, Amar can do all this gor you ou at very reasonable cost. They have contacts with all the Embassies and know each Embassy's procedures.

Just to confirm - the Thai death certificate issued by the local amphur is sufficient for UK Probate etc purpose. A translation will be required.

This document is an unnecessary expense in most cases:-

"If you wish, you can register the death with the Overseas Registration Unit. You can buy a UK-style death certificate, known as a Consular Death Registration certificate. A record will be sent to the General Register Office within 12 months".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-do-after-a-british-person-dies-in-thailand

I said I would update after all is done and dusted, but i'd like to pass on what the OZ embassy have told me, They phoned me yesterday, I spoke with a nice guy for about 20min, about the 'law' of all being sent to Bkk for autopsy, IMO its one of those made up laws by the RTP. I was told all those that die in Pattaya with a big 'falang' population are sent to Bkk, and it seem here on KC they are using the same premise. I now have the letter of attorney PDF which I'll print off today, take to the cop shop, then to Amphur office for death certificate, I will then have to travel to BKK to the police forensic place, luckily it's not to far from most embassies, this is where it becomes annoying and confusing, they will need the original LO Attorney, which they MAY have if not then I have to go to the embassy to collect it and back to the cops again, I also have to make arrangements for his remains to be brought back to KC myself ?? hopefully the local cops can enlighten me on how i'm supposed to do that.  Wish me luck   

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:18 PM, hotandsticky said:

Without that next of kin (to rely on) the Will is important if you want to have your wishes carried out. 

Mine just says that I wish to be cremated in the country in which I die. I had already discussed that with my daughters who had no desire for ashes etc to be repatriated.

OP - thanks for your comments

• Like 1