Why do you think 95% of Thai's still wearing a mask while riding a scooter

ESLTeacher1989

1 hour ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

It's scientifically proven the chance of transmission of COVID is around 1% or less outside, If you outside on a scooter the chance of transmission would be extremely close to zero like 0.00000001% unless you have a passenger.

-Indoors, do Masks make a difference, probably not....... but better safe than sorry

Its scientifically proven that if you don't wear a mask while riding a motorcycle then your lungs will be filled with dust and diesel smoke.

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The point is it was worn before Covid and not near Zero as the poster stated and even tried to point out a picture to prove his point.  TR 1 - PJ71 0

Can you not read? the amount of people wearing masks now is much much more than it was before Covid and it's not for pollution.

Personally i will have a mask with me but not worn. If asked to wear one i'll put it on, i'm seldom asked to put one on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

if you don't wear a mask while riding a motorcycle then your lungs will be filled with dust and diesel smoke

If you're in an urban jungle, perhaps.

If you're living remotely, no chance for what you desribe.

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

In Thailand there is terrible air pollution - everywhere where there are people.. And dust.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Can you not read? the amount of people wearing masks now is much much more than it was before Covid and it's not for pollution.

Personally i will have a mask with me but not worn. If asked to wear one i'll put it on, i'm seldom asked to put one on.

Your legs have been swept from under you.  Change the playing field much.

6 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

BKK is a very Polluted city, but if you live out in the provinces where the airs clean, well except Chiang Mai, you are free to believe that no one wore a mask before Covid on a bike......your goal posts keep moving all around.  Covid is after the fact of air pollution, and while some may still believe its all about Covid you and those folks are far from correct.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Have you ever thought about wearing it because the air quality while riding a motorbike in traffic here is horrendous, or you just want to believe it is from Covid....try again my friend.....

Fair enough, but it doesn't explain why they follow suit in the countryside, when they never used to before.

Just now, mancub said:

Fair enough, but it doesn't explain why they follow suit in the countryside, when they never used to before.

Easy, people have noticed that respiratory diseases are reduced when they wear masks in polluted air. Doctors say so as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your legs have been swept from under you.  Change the playing field much.

BKK is a very Polluted city, but if you live out in the provinces where the airs clean, well except Chiang Mai, you are free to believe that no one wore a mask before Covid on a bike......your goal posts keep moving all around.  Covid is after the fact of air pollution, and while some may still believe its all about Covid you and those folks are far from correct.

You and your boyfriend should get a room.

Correct, i rarely saw anyone on a motorbike wear a mask pre covid.

My observations of masks are correct.

• Haha 1

Just now, PJ71 said:

On what planet could wearing a mask not lead to reduced respiratory diseases? I guess conservatives really do have a phobia about learning and change because that's exactly what's going on here..

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Easy, people have noticed that respiratory diseases are reduced when they wear masks in polluted air. Doctors say so as well.

Countryside, you know, rice paddies and tractors etc. Not your city centre rush-hour pollution traffic.

Yet they've still not noticed that head injuries are reduced when wearing a crash helmet .

Doctors attest to that also !????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

People only see what they want to see and if it was not a concern or a new agenda for the anti mask wearers then people would not be posting such fake nonsense that masks were not worn before covid by motorbike riders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mancub said:

Countryside, you know, rice paddies and tractors etc. Not your city centre rush-hour pollution traffic.

Yet they've still not noticed that head injuries are reduced when wearing a crash helmet .

Sure they do, and they are right on both counts. I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that because they don't wear helmets then they shouldn't bother wearing masks either?

2 minutes ago, mancub said:

Prior to covid the same people never wore helmets and it has never been something enforced here in Thailand yet you folks want to compare a mask to a helmet, Amazing agendas...

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Prior to covid the same people never wore helmets and it has never been something enforced here in Thailand yet you folks want to compare a mask to a helmet, Amazing agendas...

Not really. since you seem willing to attribute the same folk who are oblivious to the risk of not wearing a helmet with sufficient intelligence to perceive the risk of respiratory disease from not wearing a mask in the open.

Edited by mancub
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really want to believe that....Many wear a mask while on a motorbike because of the exhaust from the cars, busses, trucks, and the bad air quality itself.  Sure they should be wearing a helmet but many never have.  Have you ever ridden a motorbike through the traffic here in Bangkok and choked on the exhaust.  Sure you still may choke but the mask itself takes the brunt by collecting the black soot.  I know I wear one when I ride my Motorbike, and when I get home or to my destination have to wash my face to get the soot off of it that the mask did not stop.....you guys are just incredible to believe what you do......

Do you really believe that wearing a mask on a motorbike will protect you from exhaust fumes? It makes absolutely no difference. The fumes will come in through the gaps around the mask, you will never get a perfect seal and if you did you wouldn't be able to breath properly. Waste of time.

Just now, OnTheLash said:

Do you really believe that wearing a mask on a motorbike will protect you from exhaust fumes? It makes absolutely no difference. The fumes will come in through the gaps around the mask, you will never get a perfect seal and if you did you wouldn't be able to breath properly. Waste of time.

Any little bit helps.  I have come home as I said and my face was filthy on the outside of where the mask was, but the mask area was clean......that means that my nose was also clean of the soot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Any little bit helps.  I have come home as I said and my face was filthy on the outside of where the mask was, but the mask area was clean......that means that my nose was also clean of the soot.

I understand that in Bangkok you need a mask when riding bike.

I recall many years ago, I had an appointment at a company in Bangkok, and I decided to travel by big bike from Pattaya.

I wore a Buff, which I had brought with me from Europe, and I was lucky that just before entering Bangkok I filled up the tank and went into the toilet.

My face above the Buff looked like black Pete

• Thanks 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

At a guess, what percentage of motorcyclists wore masks in Bangkok’s traffic pre-covid ?

I’d guess that it was less than 10%... and post covid its now about 90% who wear masks. 

The pre-covid images of Bangkok’s streets don’t highlight a great deal of mask wearing, not much in fact. 

Yet they were worn, not like some folks here want to believe no one wore them.....were they worn before yes? or no?. The numbers are irrelevant.  Yes more are wearing them now and maybe they see it helps in removing soot and bad air.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... but its also the juxtaposition of mask wearing for health vs no helmet highlighting a complete disregard for safety which stands out to many of us... 

Not wearing a helmet is one thing and stupid enough, but then showing consciousness towards ones health & Safety by wearing a mask and then still not wearing a helmet is somewhat dumfounding.... 

Why dumfounding, helmets were not worn before, it's not enforced, and just maybe folks understand they are not choking on fumes while wearing them....

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Maybe they didn't wear masks pre-COVID, but since being forced to wear them, they found other benefits (like cleaner faces and better breathing) while being forced to wear them and took the decision to continue even after the requirement was dropped.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1