Why do you think 95% of Thai's still wearing a mask while riding a scooter

ESLTeacher1989

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Reread my post, it was corrected as my fat fingers hit a few wrong keys, and I failed to reread it before submitting it. Criticize  much...

You are allowed to make typos the grammar police are still here. ????????????

• Haha 2

I didn't use to wear one riding either, then as I started going in and out of businesses it turned into a matter of convenience. Helmet off, mask on, shop, mask off, helmet on, just easier to leave it on if multiple stops are anticipated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

sorry dad.

You just can not help yourself....why are you such a trolling individual who also likes to bash the Thai people. Do you even live in Thailand?  I wonder what your Thai family, if you have one, thinks of your attitude. Or maybe it's all keyboard bravado and your subservient in real life.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

Why are so many expats fixated on masks?  Some will wear them, some won't, doesn't affect me one way or another, time for some to find a hobby.

Yep.

And these trivial obsessions/reasoning don't appear to be too intelligent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb to suggest that you're not terribly familiar with the Thai society, yes?

Why would you suggest that? most people that have lived outwith the tourist areas for extended periods are well aware of Thai society and how it operates.

You're welcome to test me if you wish or are you one of these people that are forever defending the way Thai's go about their lives thinking everything is rosey? If only you knew what they actually thought of you - lol.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can not help yourself....why are you such a trolling individual who also likes to bash the Thai people. Do you even live in Thailand?  I wonder what your Thai family, if you have one, thinks of your attitude. Or maybe it's all keyboard bravado and your subservient in real life.

Again, i'm not bashing them, they can do what they want.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

Have you lived anywhere in Thailand to actually witness normal Thai lives? it would be an eye opener for you i'm sure.

5 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Wrong again, people here do what their told.

Lol. New to Thailand?  Thai do whatever they want and let you think they did whatever you want to think they did.

"Did you do it?"  Yes.

"But it's not done."  No time yet.

"You just said it was done." Correct.

"So, which is it?"  Already told you (bawk laeo).

No Thai was ever afraid of wearing or not wearing a mask. Unlike some who seem terrified of masks.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb to suggest that you're not terribly familiar with the Thai society, yes?

You went out on a limb alright... 

....  The ‘you obviously don’t live here’ type of response from the same un-orignal ‘if you don’t like it...’ response.... 

There is nothing in any of TR’s comments which highlight a lack of familiarity with living in Thailand... your comment is just an unintelligent attempt at ‘point scoring’.... 

Debate the debate instead of attacking the person to attempt to score a point... 

2 minutes ago, rabas said:
5 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Wrong again, people here do what their told.

Lol. New to Thailand?  Thai do whatever they want and let you think they did whatever you want to think they did.

"Did you do it?"  Yes.

"But it's not done."  No time yet.

"You just said it was done." Correct.

"So, which is it?"  Already told you (bawk laeo).

No Thai was ever afraid of wearing or not wearing a mask. Unlike some who seem terrified of masks.

This is part of the enigma.... 

I think it can be agreed without the pathetic tit for tat when using ‘all or no-one’....   few wore masks before Covid, many do after Covid.... 

Why  ???....  Are they doing what they are told ??? IF so, why don’t they all do what they are told and wear a helmet ???

It seems each issue is dealt with differently here...

Mask wearing, everyone does, so everyone does - its almost a self-perpetuating level of conformity. 

As far as helmet wearing.. .many don’t because many don’t... thats also self perpetuating conformity. 

In main built up areas more people wear helmets (i.e. Silom, Sukhumvit etc) but outside those areas helmet wear drops way off... but mask wearing doesn’t.... 

An enigma indeed... 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Wearing a mask on a scooter in Bangkok is a good thing.

Cuts down on the amount of air pollution you have to swallow,

Sorry but the pollution molecules that count are orders of magnitude smaller than the weave of the mask.  BS-Chemistry, Medical Technology, and Chemical Engineering.

It just took them a couple of decades to realize it works to keep the bugs out of your teeth.

Edited by DrPhibes

12 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Sorry but the pollution molecules that count are orders of magnitude smaller than the weave of the mask.  BS-Chemistry, Medical Technology, and Chemical Engineering.

It just took them a couple of decades to realize it works to keep the bugs out of your teeth.

asleep in class?

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/surgical-masks-surprisingly-effective-pm2-5/

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a34284778/do-face-masks-protect-you-against-air-pollution/

That said, facial is is crucial but that's not an issue with the mask itself.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Hello, Polluting molecules, not particulates.  BTW, when is the last time you someone riding a bike with a N95 mask on?

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Particulates are why they are wearing them.

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Particulates are why they are wearing them.

Ya, like they are the only form of air pollution.  I went running in Shanghai in Jan of 1987 (working an aerospace project with Douglas Aircraft and the Chinese Gov.) and damn near blew my lungs out from the sulfur dioxide in the air from coal burning.  I could taste the sulfuric acid in my mouth.  BTW:

Particles less than 10 micrometers in diameter can get deep into your lungs and some may even get into your bloodstream. Of these, particles less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, also known as fine particles or PM2.5, pose the greatest risk to health.  These masks are rated on 2.5 minimum diameter. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

Ya, like they are the only form of air pollution.  I went running in Shanghai in Jan of 1987 (working an aerospace project with Douglas Aircraft and the Chinese Gov.) and damn near blew my lungs out from the sulfur dioxide in the air from coal burning.  I could taste the sulfuric acid in my mouth.  BTW:

Particles less than 10 micrometers in diameter can get deep into your lungs and some may even get into your bloodstream. Of these, particles less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, also known as fine particles or PM2.5, pose the greatest risk to health.  These masks are rated on 2.5 minimum diameter. 

That isn't the issue. Most people just want to do what they can to keep the dust and larger particulates out of their lungs. There's little they can do at a practical level to protect themselves against actual chemical pollution. Just apart from the climate change aspect, it's a huge reason to stop burning fossil fuels for energy production.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Few is a lot more than none like you keep on Insisting.  Your goal posts keep moving....

Show my quote where i said 'none' pls.

Again, you're putting words in my mouth.

Edited by PJ71

21 hours ago, userabcd said:

I think if the front guy has covid and breathes into the air all the downstream behind  riders can catch covid, so it is everyone's interest on motorcycles to be wearing masks.

when i see someone breathing out covid on a motorcycle i just duck my head if i am riding behind them.    never try to catch one......  you can lose your balance and fall off your bike