Why do you think 95% of Thai's still wearing a mask while riding a scooter

ESLTeacher1989

5 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Maybe they didn't wear masks pre-COVID, but since being forced to wear them, they found other benefits (like cleaner faces and better breathing) while being forced to wear them and took the decision to continue even after the requirement was dropped.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind though.

like cleaner faces and better breathing

unless the face mask fits airtight and has a quality filter it's going to make negligible difference to the quality of the air breathed

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

like cleaner faces and better breathing

unless the face mask fits airtight and has a quality filter it's going to make negligible difference to the quality of the air breathed

If it stopped only 10% of diesel particulates that would otherwise be inhaled then it's already doing a good job. Wouldn't need to be airtight for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Dream a little dream my friend.  Asian countries have worn masks prior to covid because of bad air, a shutter stock photo from 2010, you better try again.  Not everyone did but many were and still will.....

Saigon motorbike traffic | Southeast asia, Saigon, CambodiaBangkok, Thailand: Motorcyclists At Traffic Light Editorial Stock Image ...

So basically noone is wearing a mask in the photos.  your point? Strange post but expected.  I think it can be assumed that a tiny minototy of Thas wore masks proir to covid.   

Edited by atpeace
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why dumfounding, helmets were not worn before, it's not enforced, and just maybe folks understand they are not choking on fumes while wearing them....

Don't you think its dumfounding that a person may choose to wear a mask for health benefits to avoid sucking in fumes yet complete ignore the far greater safety risk and not wear a helmet ?...  the logic seems quite upside down to most people commenting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Dream a little dream my friend.  Asian countries have worn masks prior to covid because of bad air, a shutter stock photo from 2010, you better try again.  Not everyone did but many were and still will.....

Saigon motorbike traffic | Southeast asia, Saigon, CambodiaBangkok, Thailand: Motorcyclists At Traffic Light Editorial Stock Image ...

I think you’re quite right Ryan...  masks were clearly worn by some motorcyclists before Covid-19. 

Those who are suggesting ‘no one wore masks’ are perhaps using more of a colloquialism of language rather than making a definitive statement and meant make wearing was far less common... 

The reality is... perhaps about 10% of motorcyclists work masks which is a vast difference to those wearing masks now. 

Now, what really surprises me from those photos is the extent of ‘helmet wearing’ !!! - there must have been a well publicised recent crack-down !!!

• Thanks 2

At least for me, maybe the only Covid-related reason for wearing a mask on a motorbike was when the bikers jam up close at an intersection for sometimes 2 minutes waiting for the light to change (or not waiting). In the early days of Covid, especially when I was riding near a known Covid hotspot, I was sure to wear my mask when maybe 3 or 4 riders were inches away from me for up to 2 minutes.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

99% are still wearing masks in small towns, while on motorbikes. The air quality does not factor into that at all. Neither does covid prevention. Not while on a motorbike. 

Wow! 

That must've been quite the extensive and personal research to have been throughout every single township and village in every Amphoe and Province to come to this astounding conclusion....????????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don't you think its dumfounding that a person may choose to wear a mask for health benefits to avoid sucking in fumes yet complete ignore the far greater safety risk and not wear a helmet ?...  the logic seems quite upside down to most people commenting.

Not at all dumbfounding. This is Thailand.  People here do what they want. You have to remember that many believe there is nothing you can do to change your fate. Yet they are concerned about breathing in bad air. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think you’re quite right Ryan...  masks were clearly worn by some motorcyclists before Covid-19. 

Those who are suggesting ‘no one wore masks’ are perhaps using more of a colloquialism of language rather than making a definitive statement and meant make wearing was far less common... 

The reality is... perhaps about 10% of motorcyclists work masks which is a vast difference to those wearing masks now. 

Now, what really surprises me from those photos is the extent of ‘helmet wearing’ !!! - there must have been a well publicised recent crack-down !!!

In Bangkok I would say the majority on the main roads wear helmets.  It's rare for me to see folks in the city not wearing them, but outside the city I see many sans helmet.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Do the tourists from Europe, Middle East and India who refuse to wear a mask anywhere base their decision on a diligent review of the risks?

The overall aim of mask wearing is to protect other people from ourselves.

And there are selfish cultures and communiy cultures.

Which culture do you prefer?  And as the OP is in Thailand, I think we know the answer to that one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Wow! 

That must've been quite the extensive and personal research to have been throughout every single township and village in every Amphoe and Province to come to this astounding conclusion....????????

Yes, years and years of work devoted to such a task. Unyielding and unflinching commitment. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, years and years of work devoted to such a task. Unyielding and unflinching commitment. 

Bill Gates warned in 2015 TED talk that the world was not ready for a another (following Ebola) global pandemic.

Very unusual and atypical of your wife to allow such devotion and unflinching commitment to the research of how every nook and cranny in Thailand would react to the impending future pandemic.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Why are so many expats fixated on masks?

Many are fixated as it's considered a choice now and many would argue nnot necessary.

Certain airlines don't evenn require them to get on their planes anymore and there's hardly a more confined enviroment for an extended period of time.

Why do you think 95% of Thai's still wearing a mask while riding a scooter

Because subconsciously humans/animals mimic others in life. There is a saying that points this out but I can't  state it cuz it's seen as being racist by some.

This idiom means that children will learn their behaviour by copying what they see happening around them.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

39 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Wrong again, people here do what their told.

You are truly off kilter my friend, and a person who has to bash anyone not like themselves.  Kudo's on living your perfect life with doing only what you want, and not believing in rules, laws or for your own personal protection.  Criticizing others not tied to your belief system or in how you view things like mask wraring means that when Karma comes it will be a true pox upon you.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I don't think it's fixation on masks per se. It's more (for me, anyway) idle curiosity as to why wearing of masks outside in Thailand remains so prevalent amongst locals. 

Having lived in BKK since the late 1980s I can, however, attest with confidence that it is nonsense to try and say that general mask-wearing was popular / prevalent pre-Covid. That is simply not true.  

It is also complete rubbish to suggest that many people now wear masks outside because they are more attuned to issues linked to air pollution. A properly fitted N95 or better mask will be beneficial in protecting against the most dangerous fine particulates. Anything else - surgical mask, bandana etc - may offer some protection against coarse particulates, but is of little to no benefit protecting against the really fine stuff that gets deep into lung tissue.

The 'average' Thai in Bangkok or wherever wears a mask as much because of pressure to comply with social norms as for any other reason. They've been told by their elders and betters that they need to wear them, so they do. 

Go on believing yourself and I agree to disagree with your sentiment. It rivals those who used to say covid was minimal and they knew no one who had had it or died from it. Views are what they are, personal views. If you don't see it, or didn't see it, then it never occurred, much like Alex Jones and his view on Sandy Hook....classic denial.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really want to believe that....Many wear a mask while on a motorbike because of the exhaust from the cars, busses, trucks, and the bad air quality itself.  Sure they should be wearing a helmet but many never have.  Have you ever ridden a motorbike through the traffic here in Bangkok and choked on the exhaust.  Sure you still may choke but the mask itself takes the brunt by collecting the black soot.  I know I wear one when I ride my Motorbike, and when I get home or to my destination have to wash my face to get the soot off of it that the mask did not stop.....you guys are just incredible to believe what you do......

so why did they NOT wear a mask before covid came along ???????

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are truly off kilter my friend, and a person who has to bash anyone not like themselves.  Kudo's on living your perfect life with doing only what you want, and not believing in rules, laws or for your own personal protection.  Criticizing others not tied to your belief system or in how you view things like mask wraring means that when Karma comes it will be a true pox upon you.

Behave yourself.

Do you notice how many other posters think you're talking tosh?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I know I wear one when I ride my Motorbike, and when I get home or to my destination have to wash my face to get the soot off of it that the mask did not stop.

Assume you wear it correctly, not like some of my local population, on or under the chin not covering nose or mouth, of course I notice as they are mostly not wearing helmets either.

6 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

so why did they NOT wear a mask before covid came along ???????

You still want to believe that no one wore one, your just blind.  Tata for now

Edited by ThailandRyan

17 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

write proper english........

Reread my post, it was corrected as my fat fingers hit a few wrong keys, and I failed to reread it before submitting it. Criticize  much...