Why do you think 95% of Thai's still wearing a mask while riding a scooter

ESLTeacher1989

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No apology, I refuse to be accused of being the grammar police and showing you how you were incorrect like I had posted but then deleted, Basically your ilk are not worth my time and effort sir...so to the bin you go.

That's what i thought you'd say.

You amuse me.

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

More stupid than that, often they aren't wearing a helmet

I would like to see the study of responsible motorbike users who do and don't wear helmets and which ones have accidents at a higher rate.

Sure, if you go off the bike it's good to have the helmet but I am totally unconvinced that having a helmet is "safer" so far as avoiding such accidents.

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thais have been wearing masks for decades against pollution as have the Japanese, Chinese and other Asians. Its a smart idea.

Statements such as this is why this thread has degenerated into an argument about how many Thai’s were actually wearing masks before Covid-19... when people make sweeping generalisations such as ’no one wore masks....’ or something similar... 

A minority of Thai’s have been wearing masks for decades against pollution, we would see some pedestrians or motorcyclists around wearing a mask... but certainly not the majority, not even close.

The reason the majority people are now still wearing masks in Thailand is simply because of social conformity. 

There may be some who continue to choose to do so because of air-polution, but the vast majority continue to wear a mask simply because its ’still the done thing’.

In other countries such as Japan, most wear masks for hygiene reasons out of social responsibility, i.e. whoever anyone has a cold, even minor, they’d wear a mask. Additionally, it was never uncommon to see Japanese wearing masks on flights as a form of protection. 

Tokyo is an incredibly clean city, air pollution is very low - this is not the reason some wear masks.

In China, Yes, Air-polution is a significant reason people would wear masks. 

52 minutes ago, CNX GUY said:

I would like to see the study of responsible motorbike users who do and don't wear helmets and which ones have accidents at a higher rate.

Sure, if you go off the bike it's good to have the helmet but I am totally unconvinced that having a helmet is "safer" so far as avoiding such accidents.

It would make for an interesting study as the choice to wear a helmet for safety reasons implies an understanding of risk, someone with a better understanding of risk may ride more safety. 

Thus: In countries like Thailand where helmet wearing is more of a choice than it is enforced It is possible that there is a correlation between helmet wearing and accident rate. 

Thus, in many cases, particularly self caused accidents, whether someone is in an accident perhaps has more to do with mindset than the actual wearing of helmet. 

Then there could be the opposite effect whereby if someone is wearing a helmet or even all the gear, they may ride more assertively and perhaps this places them at greater risk of an accident. 

Then there is the type of motorcycle one is riding, a large more expensive bike is more noticeable by other traffic and is often ridden by more experienced riders where as any newbie gets on a scooter. 

Once the surface of this subject is scratched the relationship becomes multifaceted.....  But, as far as helmet wearing goes...  its clear that someone who doesn’t wear a helmet believes an accident won’t happen to them... 

31 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Hopefully The British  both in Asia and back home will learn about the benefits  of masks. I remember when I lives in Saudi, Kuwait,  and Libya also having  to wear  masks.

Why singling out the British ???.....  I think when generalising the is a trend of many counties where many of their nationals seem to have  ‘anti-mask’ opinions.... some seem to have more people who see themselves as protesting free-thinkings who are not taken in by mainstream media and question everything... unfortunately that means they question the science too !!! 

Unfortunately, some of the masks rules also went and still go too far... on the beach for example, and whenever outside also while riding a motorcycles etc... in a car with the same family members... its just ridiculous...

Conversely, wearing masks on a flight or on the BTS or in a Taxi is a perfectly reasonable requirement at the moment... 

Edited by richard_smith237

I believe mask wearing is an excellent idea my real issue is why more people don't wear masks more often  as the Thais,  Japanese,  Chinese etc do. Hopefully Westerners will learn. I noticed  recently in a recent  trip  to a major  issan city there  was  99.9% mask compliance which I was  pleased  to see. Its only in Thai  cities polluted by Farranagance and fantasies  of western superiority that poor hygiene seems to be returning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:39 AM, pgrahmm said:

So they don't have to spit bugs out at the end of their ride....

Or...

Maybe they got comfortable over the last 2 years against fumes or as an easy face shield....

It's become a life "norm"......

In 2017 I got a serious sinus, ear, then lung infection from riding my scooter and going through water that splashed up into my face.  Took two months to recover.  I'll always wear a cover of some type now unless roads are totally dry.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:38 PM, Kwasaki said:

Covid is still about especially in Bkk and the only people that cop it and get covid in our village is stupid people coming from Bkk and not wearing a mask. 

Edited by Hellfire

On 8/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Wearing facemarks, vs not wearing a helmet is one which baffles me. 

Answer is simple, you are almost 6 times more likely to die from flu, pneumonia, and other respiratory disease than a motorcycle accident. 

Flu's are contagious and accidents are not

Over 31,000 people die each year from flu and pneumonia, 5500 from motorcycle accidents.  

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-influenza-pneumonia

Edited by Skallywag

On 8/7/2022 at 11:25 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Don't you think its dumfounding that a person may choose to wear a mask for health benefits to avoid sucking in fumes yet complete ignore the far greater safety risk and not wear a helmet ?...  the logic seems quite upside down to most people commenting.

My own personal fave is observing people alone in cars, wearing masks but not seat belts. ????

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:
On 8/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Wearing facemarks, vs not wearing a helmet is one which baffles me. 

Answer is simple, you are almost 6 times more likely to die from flu, pneumonia, and other respiratory disease than a motorcycle accident. 

Over 31,000 people die each year from flu and pneumonia, 5500 from motorcycle accidents.  

Edited 3 hours ago by Skallywag

A utterly flawed comparison to the point of being quite silly... 

...  Not one person in Thailand evaluates the risk of not wearing a facemask vs the risk of not wearing a helmet on the basis of a World Wide statistic that they are 6x more likely to die from a respiratory illness. 

Additionally - your '6x more likely figure’ includes aggregate whole population numbers world wide and as such the comparison is fundamentally flawed... not even an apples vs oranges comparison but rather and apples vs eggs !!!....   

IF you want to provide less flawed and distorted statistic you would perhaps consider a direct comparison: 

- Risk of Motorcyclists in Thailand dying from a respiratory illness vs risk of a motorcyclist not wearing a helmet dying in an accident....

I think then when you achieve an accurate stat for that comparison you’ll find that motorcyclists who do not wear helmets in Thailand are at a far higher risk of dying than those who do not wear face-masks. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:38 PM, Kwasaki said:

Covid is still about especially in Bkk and the only people that cop it and get covid in our village is stupid people coming from Bkk and not wearing a mask. 

Unless freedom of movement is stopped there is always a risk of transmission anywhere, as there is transmission of any respiratory disease.

Your comment simply reads that you have a chip in your shoulder about those from Bangkok for some reason.

Can someone from your village tranmit the virus to those in another village?....  y’know the only people who cop it and get covid in other smaller villages is from stupid people coming from your village not wearing a mask ??? or is it only blamed on Bangkok ?

I think you get my point there - mask wearing may help, but is not the sole prevention method. 

Vaccines and antibodies are a major factor and how many people in your village who 'copped it’ were vaccinated ??

On 8/7/2022 at 2:12 PM, userabcd said:

I think if the front guy has covid and breathes into the air all the downstream behind  riders can catch covid, so it is everyone's interest on motorcycles to be wearing masks.

Perhaps flatulance is also an issue....  mask wearing clearly protects riders behind from breathing the flatulate left downstream from riders up ahead..... 

I think that adequately covers the issue of ‘dilution’ in open air with regards to Covid-19.... 

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

While that statistic may be correct, how many people acquire those diseases while riding a scooter? IMO they are far more likely to be infected in crowded indoor environments.

It's fairly obvious probability, statistics, and risk are not taught in Thai schools. The chances of being killed while riding without a helmet are much higher than being infected by COVID while on two wheels.

While accidents are not contagious, I'd say stupidity is. I see it every day in Thai traffic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Answer is simple, you are almost 6 times more likely to die from flu, pneumonia, and other respiratory disease than a motorcycle accident

Few people croak from pneunomia whilst riding a motorcycle........which is what the discussion is actually about.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unless freedom of movement is stopped there is always a risk of transmission anywhere, as there is transmission of any respiratory disease.

Your comment simply reads that you have a chip in your shoulder about those from Bangkok for some reason.

Can someone from your village tranmit the virus to those in another village?....  y’know the only people who cop it and get covid in other smaller villages is from stupid people coming from your village not wearing a mask ??? or is it only blamed on Bangkok ?

I think you get my point there - mask wearing may help, but is not the sole prevention method. 

Vaccines and antibodies are a major factor and how many people in your village who 'copped it’ were vaccinated ??

Yeah I do hate the place but just stated Bkk still has many cases of covid and the cases we get in the village are brought from people from Bkk so the hospital nurse said.  No chips. 

On 8/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, ESLTeacher1989 said:

It's scientifically proven the chance of transmission of COVID is around 1% or less outside

Most Thais don't follow things like science or use common sense or critical thinking.  Many still believe in ghost, spirits, fate, luck, etc..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I do hate the place but just stated Bkk still has many cases of covid and the cases we get in the village are brought from people from Bkk so the hospital nurse said.  No chips. 

I think there is a higher risk of contracting covid or any illness in any built up area.... 

Is there even a true handle on how much covid there is out there and where it is ???

So many people now contract Covid-19 and treat it as a cold (we did and just stayed away from everyone). 

I don’t think blaming people for travelling is fair. Perhaps people could take an ATK when they arrive where they at their destination, just to be sure. We did recently (when travelling in from the UK) and given the queue at security and general airport chaos, and transit chaos and queue numbers I’m amazed we didn’t catch covid !!! (again).

But, really, where do we draw the line now ????......   Of course, risk doesn’t disappear, but Covid is not the risk it once was. Is it not time to move on ?

I’m sure there are people who fall gravely ill from covid, but there are also people who are falling gravely ill from influenza, food poisoning and many other factors.... 

In perspective, is Covid-19 still a magnitude of severity greater than other illnesses ???

On 8/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, ThailandRyan said:

You really want to believe that....Many wear a mask while on a motorbike because of the exhaust from the cars, busses, trucks, and the bad air quality itself.  Sure they should be wearing a helmet but many never have.  Have you ever ridden a motorbike through the traffic here in Bangkok and choked on the exhaust.  Sure you still may choke but the mask itself takes the brunt by collecting the black soot.  I know I wear one when I ride my Motorbike, and when I get home or to my destination have to wash my face to get the soot off of it that the mask did not stop.....you guys are just incredible to believe what you do......

Well I just doubt very much that these people here know anything about health, about dangers of fumes, about dangers of arc welding (no eye protection). I also see many car drivers here wearing masks. They believe that the fumes will get in the car, but not inside the mask. Hummm.

Protecting their lungs from air pollution while smoking cigarettes all day, protecting their brain while driving without a helmet, just appears to me that whatever they are doing, does not come from 'thinking'.

Looking for an example for the 'absence of free will', well, here it is....

Edited by Andre0720
Missing word

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

you hate Bangkok? seriously? that's like hating life itself ????????????

I wear a mask outside sometimes and do always inside offices etc. The simple reason is its just easier to keep it on rather than taking it on and off the whole time. In Thailand going inside many places still request people wear masks. For most people you see knocking around are probably working and its just far easier keep the damn thing on rather than in and out the pocket.

• Like 2