Army Receives New Armored Vehicles From U.S.

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I hope that people will forgive the length of this post as I am trying to debunk the post I have answered.

You are correct at this point. However the reason that there was no effective government was that it had resigned to prepare for the upcoming election, so a caretaker government was in charge, Yingluck was still the defacto PM until she was removed.

She was replaced by Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan who in turn was

deposed on 22 May 2014 by a military coup lead by the current PM ably assisted by Suthep Thaugsuban

The first Thaksin government won the peaceful 2001 election from the Democrats under Chuan Leekpai. The second Thaksin government was deposed in September 2006 by Sonthi Boonyaratglin in yet another military coup.

He was replaced in October 2006 by yet another army general, Surayud Chulanont who was in power for just over a year. Then there was another election in which Samak Sundaravej became PM until he was forced to quit over a cooking scandal. He was followed by Somchai Wongsawat who was disenfranchised after 77 days, Chavarat Charnvirakul both Independents.

Then there was yet another peaceful election won by the Democrats under Abhisit Vejjajiva who lasted 2 years and 231 days and who then held yet another peaceful election which Yingluck Shinawatra won.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-25116427

There were street protests, some violent led by Suthep Thaugsuban, a former Thai deputy prime minister, who had resigned from the opposition Democrat Party to lead protests aimed at dislodging Thailand's government. He was a deputy PM to 

The man described in a leaked US cable as a "backroom deal-maker" served as deputy to former PM Abhisit Vejjajiva from 2008-2011.

It was their administration that authorised a crackdown on anti-government street protests by supporters of ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra in Bangkok in 2010.

More than 90 people, mostly civilian protesters, died over the course of the two-month action. Both Mr Suthep and Mr Abhisit face what they call politically-motivated murder charges over the deaths.

I was referring to the situation in 2014 . 

Reds in power and Yellows on the streets bringing Thailand to a standstill and Yinluck nowhere to be seen .

Had the Yellows toppled the Government and taken control, the Reds would have been out on the streets protesting and bringing the Country to a standstill .

The Army marched in and threw them both out .

Whether it be Res or Yellows in Government , the others would be protesting on the streets and bringing Thailand to a standstill .

I recall when Prayrut forst took control , he asked about handing power over to the Government and he replied "What Government , they wasnt in control before I took over" or words to that effect

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I also remember Prayuth promising happiness and reconciliation to the Thai people, and end to corruption and a complete reform of the military, police and civil service.

That was over 8 years ago. Have you seen any signs of that happening yet?

Yes, the Army has clamped down on police corruption , although it hasn't been stamped out, its not as widespread as before . Licensing laws are one example of this , as is land encroachment and street sellers and numerous other new regulations like Visas and thing  .

Although there hasnt been a complete reform, there have been noticeable changes 

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I suppose that you are unaware  of World War 2 and the fights with Japan and the U.K and also the troubles in the South at the moment ?

Actually there was only 1 fight with the Japanese @ Prachuap , lasted a couple of hours.

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nobody suggests  Thailand was never invaded. The claim is that Thailand  was not colonised (by European powers.)

The British and French considered Thailand most useful as a buffer zone , hardly something to boast about.

• Like 2

Well a country that is ran by a military kind of government needs their military toys, don't they.

Makes one wonder if the country will ever become a democratic country in the true sense.

Then I watch the news of the USA and see the present and possible future presidents and

have to wonder about that as well. It looks like these new vehicles are good for the flooded areas of

Thailand in the rainy season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

The British and French considered Thailand most useful as a buffer zone , hardly something to boast about.

A good read as to why Thailand was never colonized by a western country. The last paragraph sums it up.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/threats-to-national-independence 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A good read as to why Thailand was never colonized by a western country. The last paragraph sums it up.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/threats-to-national-independence 

Thanks , very interesting.

Amusing that the French efforts to navigate the Mekong were finally thwarted by the huge waterfall at the base of the 4,000 islands on what is now the Cambodian border with Southern Laos.

Spent some time there a few years back , beautiful part of the world , sadly the Chinese will soon utterly ruin it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

They have'nt got the stomach for conflict, thats why they stay neutral.

20 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Would certainly seem to be the case

Read the posted link  https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/threats-to-national-independence 

France & Britain just couldn't be bothered to go to war over Thailand.

• Like 1