What are the 'common law' wife rules in Thailand

Chainsaw

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

AFAIK there is no such thing.  You are married by district office registration only.

I think Thai law , like UK law , does recognize a common law wife/husband if people have lived together for a number of years. As such both parties have rights to any assets shared during relationship.

The exact rules for this I do not know but a lawyer would provide details and they are probably available online , mostly in Thai.

To say why this is probably so is the fact that in the past many Thai couples only had the village marriage ceremony and did not bother with registering it at the Amper.

Naturally enough this often caused issues and the common law wife legislation addresses these.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

I think Thai law , like UK law , does recognize a common law wife/husband if people have lived together for a number of years. As such both parties have rights to any assets shared during relationship.

The exact rules for this I do not know but a lawyer would provide details and they are probably available online , mostly in Thai.

I would disagree.

I do know that sin somros applies to MARITAL assets.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Interesting :

In conclusion, civil partners, who live together, have no legal status under Thai law.

Then follows :

Thai family law provides for the division of shared property acquired during legally marriage,

The OP's question :

30 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

If a Chinese woman and English man are together for 10+ plus years and own joint property. What are the woman's rights if they split up?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

"legal marriage" - there was none.  But if they jointly own property (in both names) that would have nothing to do with marriage and continue regardless of their status.

Yes, that is what I understood from the link.

So the answer the OP's question is it looks like the Chinese woman in question will be legally entitled to her share ( assuming

the joint ownership was registered with both names )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chainsaw said:

If a Chinese woman and English man are together for 10+ plus years and own joint property. What are the woman's rights if they split up?

What a horrible post. 

Make an effort when asking a complicated question. 

1. Chinese woman, so she's not Thai?

2. Are you married, if so what country were you married?

3. Joint property, so both names are on the title? 

So many more questions I would like to ask but I'm not bothered to make an effort. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Reference to replies ... why I assumed condo owned.  

Anything else, again assuming, then marriage would be irrelevant, IF:

... both names registered on assets

... both names on 'fake or non fake company' for non condo assets

which would simply abide by company bylaws.  

Although if a Thai involved, neither might end up with anything.

The usual limited info provided in OP to form any advice.  If not an amicable split, then at least the lawyers will be very happy.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Huh?

Yo Sparky - never had kids? 

The implication that 75% - 25% in favor of woman is not that unusual - - that was about my scorecard in USA. 

And is it true that you have never been here? If so, good luck on your first trip.. smile first, smile often and things should go well... learning some words helps too. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I do not think so Denmim--- of course in a country where every different location seems have a different understanding of whats black and white,

Anything is possible, but in general NO ---

28 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yo Sparky - never had kids? 

The implication that 75% - 25% in favor of woman is not that unusual - - that was about my scorecard in USA. 

And is it true that you have never been here? If so, good luck on your first trip.. smile first, smile often and things should go well... learning some words helps too. 

75% man

Read above

Been there 14 times

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

The concept of common law marriage does not exist in Thailand.

Moving on to the property, if both parties names are registered on the title deed then any profit from the sale should be divided equally between both parties.

You are 100% correct.

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, I saw 75% man - not realistic...

someone else mentioned you had not been here... 14x - then why all the questions abt where to go? Speaky any Thai yet? 

Yes some troll who lives in Pattaya said that.

I speak better Thai than most farangs who live there.

I never been top isaan only lower isaan.

I used to go beaches a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What a horrible post. 

Make an effort when asking a complicated question. 

1. Chinese woman, so she's not Thai?

2. Are you married, if so what country were you married?

3. Joint property, so both names are on the title? 

So many more questions I would like to ask but I'm not bothered to make an effort. 

What a horrible 'answer'

1. Chinese woman, so she's not Thai? - Brilliant deduction Sherlock.

2. Are you married, if so what country were you married? Who said it was about me?

Can't be bothered explaining any more as I doubt you would understand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I speak better Thai than most farangs who live there.

That's terrific - it will increase your enjoyment exponentially... 

One CR L poster was so excited that he asked for something in a store and people understood him... and since he was normally such a braggart, I actually thought, ok, good this loudmouth is progressing. That's good. Then 2 weeks later he was boasting about how good his Thai was, as if he was fluent.