Are You Afraid of Dying or Death?

connda

Are You Afraid Of Dying Or Death?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going to go where Gamma Globulin likes to go.  But I'm going to be concise with the questions.
There are no good or bad answers; there are no right or wrong answers.  There is only how you feel and I personally will respect your feelings.

This is just how you feel toward death and dying. 
Please respect others views, but do expound what you feel about your own mortality and why? 

I'm asking this because the farang community is a mix of people:  Buddhists, Christians, Atheists, and others.  Liberals, Conservatives, Independents, and others.   Multi-ethnic and others.

I personally would like to know your views on your own mortality without any judgement.  Just your views which I will respect and I ask other to respect as well.  But I believe there is a benefit to acknowledging other views on death and dying in this English speaking Thai forum.

What say you?  :thumbsup:

This is a multiple choice poll, so pick more than one choice, but please explain and expound your choices. 

Love ya'll!  Peace.

Edited by connda

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

poll doesn't make sense

I'll make it simpler: 
Are you afraid of dying?
If so - why?
If not - why? 

If the concept of asking that question doesn't make sense to you?
That's Ok.  No problem.

1 hour ago, connda said:

I'm going to go where Gamma Globulin likes to go.  But I'm going to be concise with the questions.

Sort of like traveling both north and south at the same time?

I am afraid of living too long, in pain or discomfort for myself and others. I don't see my aches and pains getting better in the future. It is all too easy to imagine falling. And it hurting. 

I am not really afraid of dying... 

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm in favour of choosing an end date, up to you, no need for a slow painful death

I keep thinking about this - it would make estate planning so much easier. 

Maude chose 80 but Harold tried to screw it up for her... Maude won. 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

9 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I keep thinking about this - it would make estate planning so much easier. 

Maude chose 80 but Harold tried to screw it up for her... Maude won. 

i think this is fine, get everything in order, when you're ready to go go, just pick a civilised method, exit bag, BBQ charcoal, Cambodia overdose.

Alternatively wait, my Dad now in the middle of a Parkinsons hell, awful end of life

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

I'll make it simpler: 
Are you afraid of dying?
If so - why?
If not - why? 

If the concept of asking that question doesn't make sense to you?
That's Ok.  No problem.

Still to many options.

Don't need a poll, don''t want the world to know that, yes I am going to die.

Edited by KannikaP

I have had a great life,so i cant complain,i feel sorry for my wife  and family as i know they will be heartbroken,its only the way i die that i am afraid of,just hope its quick.

To be honest if i had no family if i was very ill i would just take an overdose.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

I have had a great life,so i cant complain,i feel sorry for my wife  and family as i know they will be heartbroken,its only the way i die that i am afraid of,just hope its quick.

To be honest if i had no family if i was very ill i would just take an overdose.

Totally agree, and my GF agrees with the overdose (Single Malt) version if she saw me suffering as she saw my ex-wife with the big C.  She's got my PIN anyway!   555

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not afraid of death. I am afraid of dying slowly in constant pain. As I have seen several friends do.

I support voluntary euthanasia, and religious organizations opposing it can go <deleted> themselves.

Religious Organisations per se can go 444k themselves.  555

• Like 2

i'm still drinking now ...   all my family is dead ...  my relatives are all dead and gone ... i think about this every hour ...

i'm always teary eyed now every night...   it's sad I didn't see them for the last 25 years ...

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve come close to death... to the point of being convinced I was dying, very quickly. 

I had a Pulmonary Embolism...  I’d climbed some stairs...  I felt dizzy but remained conscious, I had tunnel vision for a second or two before my vision went totally dark, I went momentarily deaf before my ears popped...   

At that time, for those 6 or 7 seconds I was convinced that was it...  my dying thoughts... “ok, thats it, I can’t control this, I hope my Wife will be ok... I’ve been one of the lucky ones, good life, I’m dying... thats ok, its been a good life I’ve been lucky”...    then things came back...  I was medivacced to Singapore....

So... I wasn’t afraid of dying and I’m not afraid of dying in the future. 

I am afraid of dying too soon and leaving my Wife and Son broken hearted...   I’m afraid for them.

It doesn’t mean I live a completely risk free life, I still ride a motorcycle etc.... 

But I won’t welcome death, I just hope its at the right time and dignified... not too soon and through a horrible illness etc.. .

I am afraid of dying too soon and leaving my Wife and Son broken hearted...   I’m afraid for them

Couldn't have said it better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

i'm still drinking now ...   all my family is dead ...  my relatives are all dead and gone ... i think about this every hour ...

i'm always teary eyed now every night...   it's sad I didn't see them for the last 25 years ...

You can only do what you can do. Can't change the past. Families do drift apart for various reasons. If either them or you had really wanted to make contact then they (or you) would have done so at the time. Think of what you have and who you know now and make the best of it from today onwards.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve come close to death... to the point of being convinced I was dying, very quickly. 

I had a Pulmonary Embolism...  I’d climbed some stairs...  I felt dizzy but remained conscious, I had tunnel vision for a second or two before my vision went totally dark, I went momentarily deaf before my ears popped...   

At that time, for those 6 or 7 seconds I was convinced that was it...  my dying thoughts... “ok, thats it, I can’t control this, I hope my Wife will be ok... I’ve been one of the lucky ones, good life, I’m dying... thats ok, its been a good life I’ve been lucky”...    then things came back...  I was medivacced to Singapore....

So... I wasn’t afraid of dying and I’m not afraid of dying in the future. 

I am afraid of dying too soon and leaving my Wife and Son broken hearted...   I’m afraid for them.

It doesn’t mean I live a completely risk free life, I still ride a motorcycle etc.... 

But I won’t welcome death, I just hope its at the right time and dignified... not too soon and through a horrible illness etc.. .

Thought provoking, many thanks for your story. I feel similar prior to fainting. You have lost control of your body and don't know where and when it will go from there. I don't drive or ride a moto any longer because I don't know when it will happen again. Most disturbing for people around you because they always fear the worst.  

I'm afraid of 2 things.

Getting old. I see my dad who turns 96 next week, and is in good health except that he walks with a frame, but he sits alone in an elderly home. I surely don't want to sit there waiting until the grim reaper has time to pass by.

Second. I'm single and live in a remote location, my nearest neighbour is 500 meters. I have always kept to myself, which means, I have friends, but I'm not the kind who calls or visit people every day. So I'm kinda afraid to die and lay there decomposing for a week or more, before someone notices something might be wrong.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:45 PM, StreetCowboy said:

I am afraid of double negatives.

I am also slightly concerned about protracted illness, extreme old age and dementia.

SC

As I KNOW you know....

Double negatives, triple negatives, and even quadruple negatives are the spice of life for any serious writer of English.

You say you are a writer?

And yet, you fear just a simple double negative???

Where would we be without them, anyway?

Double negatives is what makes English ENGLISH!

Double negatives, for that matter, is what makes Chinese CHINESE!

I once enjoyed a two-semester course in Formal Logic.

We learned about how to negate a negative, five times, in just one symbolic utterance.

Sometimes, just for fun, after class, we would say things like this:

"Every anarchist is a believer in free love. Some members of the government party are anarchists. ∴ Some members of the government party are believers in free love."

Can you give me a good example of a quadruple-negative, in just one sentence, that makes sense, Sir?

Or, are you still too fearful to do so?

Please refer to this link:

https://philoslife.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/course-note-symbolic-logic-uses/

(In fact, for sure, the study of Formal Logic is a salve to the troubled soul.  And, very logical.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin