Are You Afraid of Dying or Death?

connda

Are You Afraid Of Dying Or Death?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fear is just an emotion and mindfk and once you death, you are death. Just the little moment right before death, if you experience it, that might be scary in that moment.

I nearly died more than cat have lives, so I am ready for it when it comes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I'm not afraid of dying per se, since modern death is almost always a nurse upping the morphine dose until you painlessly cross over.

And I have truly had a one in a million life. If I even dare to ask for another single day, I deserve to be dodging lightning bolts from an angry God. 

But my wife is 15 years younger than me and my pension dies with me. Since some entity is literally sending. me a check every month simply for breathing, I'd like to milk that to the bitter end.

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I'm not afraid of dying per se, since modern death is almost always a nurse upping the morphine dose until you painlessly cross over.

And I have truly had a one in a million life. If I even dare to ask for another single day, I deserve to be dodging lightning bolts from an angry God. 

But my wife is 15 years younger than me and my pension dies with me. Since some entity is literally sending. me a check every month simply for breathing, I'd like to milk that to the bitter end.

Well, since we are already on this morbid topic, then might I make a suggestion?

If your "entity" is "literally" sending you large sums of money, just for breathing, as you say, then it is entirely possible to keep you breathing almost indefinitely, using fairly simple modern medical technology.

You say that your wife is only 15 years younger than you, correct?

Therefore, using today's technology, it should be a very simple matter to keep you breathing for at least 30 years after you have enjoyed your last dose of morphine. 

And, since you wish to milk this pension check until the "bitter end", as you say, it is entirely possible for you to milk it until, say, maybe, around the year 2080, if you have the required machines and the proper nursing care.

For sure, after your last dose of morphine, there is every likelihood that machines can keep you breathing for many years, even unto some future time when, who knows, you might be rejuvenated, if Science wills it.

I am sure you will recall the experience of TK who lived 20 YEARS beyond his prime:

"In recent years, there has been increasing evidence that the totally brain-dead patient is able to continue to live and to maintain some integrated functions, albeit with the necessary assistance of mechanical ventilation. Several years ago, the autopsy report of a totally brain-dead patient named TK who was kept on life support for nearly twenty years was published in the Journal of Child Neurology. He remains the individual kept on life support the longest after suffering total brain failure. "

Therefore, if you really want to continue receiving checks to the bitter end, and if these checks are sizeable checks, then...you can.

At least, I hope this is of some solace, and might be positive news for you.

You can probably go on breathing and collecting checks, almost as long as you like, at least until the year 2050, if TK is any example.

Of course, you may not actually know that you are collecting checks while breathing on a ventilator; only somebody else will know.

What is life, anyway?

What is gallows humor, for that matter?

Thanks, Globule-guy. 

My wife has been instructed to prop me in a corner, pay someone else to hose me down,  and keep the afro-cuban jazz mix on, even if it looks like I can't hear it anymore.

If I look like game, she should attempt a blowie. She can even get a boyfriend, but not in the house.

Just a cursory glance at all the other comments and it doesn't appear anyone is afraid of dying....or afraid of death in general.  I'm in that same camp.  If anything, I sort of look forward to death as I believe that's when all of our questions will be answered....5555  The first being what happens when you die.

What I am afraid of is the declining health thing.  I'm late 50's and still very active.  I've slowed down certainly, but still pretty solid.  But I've seen old folks with health issues such as lack of mobility, poor eyesight, breathing problems, poor dental (unable to enjoy a meal), memory loss, migraines, arthritis, etc.  Maybe it'll happen gradually and I'll be able to adapt.  But at some point, it's going to get bad.  As someone else said, it's a shame euthanasia isn't fully embraced worldwide.  Could solve a lot of problems with people dying unexpectedly and without prior planning, not to mention needless suffering.