Condo Owner Fined Over 140,000 Baht For Keeping A Pet In The Unit

webfact

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

"According to Rule 1, item 9.2 it is forbidden to keep all kinds of animals, such as those that create a nuisance and frighten people,  in the condominium or the condominium area."

Why not just state cats or dogs?

Because dogs and cats are not the only animals that are banned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wombat said:

Lesson for the day kiddies is don't upset the Juristic person.

Lesson of the day - Don't buy a condo unless you love living under the thumb of regulations.

For the price of a condo you can buy a house instead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Thai people keep all types of animals as pets: eg. rabbits, guinea pigs, snakes, rats, mice... the list goes on. "animals" will cover most of them with the exception of insects and other invertibrates.

Insect and invertebrates are "animals" also!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, within the bounds of the job, of course it does.

Please keep in mind that a Juristic Person is not a person. It is a legal structure whereby a group of people can act jointly (e.g. collect fees, pay for repairs, etc.). The Juristic Person Manager is an actual person, always a unit owner, often a Committee member, serving the will of the Committee. Often acts as supervisor of the Business Manager (if any). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, within the bounds of the job, of course it does.

Please keep in mind that a Juristic Person is not a person. It is a legal structure

I know exactly what it is, thanks.   That's why I wrote ""the job", not "his/her job".

The fine of 500 baht/day once notice is given is probably spelled out in the condo rules.

The correct course of action would have been for the condo owner to lobby other condo owners to modify the rules.  That's what happened in our building where it was evident that the problem was out-of-control owners of dogs, but not other animals.  For a time, all animals were banned, but existing pets were "grandfathered".

After owner input, the rules were changed so that pets that remain in the condo and are only taken out of the unit in an appropriate carrier are permitted.  And rules are specific as to how many cats, specifically, an owner can have based on the size of the unit.  It's enforced, too.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

Lesson of the day - Don't buy a condo unless you love living under the thumb of regulations.

For the price of a condo you can buy a house instead.

Absolutely true.  Things are topsy turvy here.  I could never afford a house in the US when I lived there.  The biggest place I ever owned was a 2 bedroom condo, most were smallish 1 bedrooms.  Even a townhouse was priced out of my financial reach.  Single family?  Forget it.  

This year, my partner and I sold a 79sqm 1 bedroom, 1 bath seaview condo in Pattaya for 9MB.   Turned around and bought a 3 bedroom, 4 bath pool villa in a nice, gated project by Lake Mabprachan for 7MB.  We'll do some improvements and be at about 8MB.  Still a million less than the 1 bedroom condo.  Plenty of other single family homes available for less than what we paid--and less than lots of condos.  Topsy turvy--in a good way if you prefer a house.

10 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

"According to Rule 1, item 9.2 it is forbidden to keep all kinds of animals, such as those that create a nuisance and frighten people,  in the condominium or the condominium area."

I had a girlfriend who fitted the description. So I let her go to avoid a fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Surprised he never got 10 years in jail  as well.

OTT out of touch justice system of Thailand.

or maybe a little share out of the booty latter.

Of he had paid  the fine immediately it would have been much less. I,   and I suspect hundreds more, will  thoughroughly applaud this action  and result.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I pay 6.500 in rent per month , 12 floor central Pattaya with partial Seaview, fully furnished, 40sqm. 

Sounds good.   For me, that's one of the big pluses of living in Pattaya;  the extremely wide variety of housing available in all price ranges, both to rent or to buy, depending on one's preference.   That's certainly not the case in the town where I used to live in the US.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:12 AM, mikeymike100 said:

That would be much too clear.

Better to make a rule that is subject to interpretation. That way, the decision is essentially left up to the jurustic person and the rule can be bent if the owner is rich, unusually attractive, famous, flirtatious, offers some cash etc. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

That would be much too clear.

Better to make a rule that is subject to interpretation. That way, the decision is essentially left up to the jurustic person and the rule can be bent if the owner is rich, unusually attractive, famous, flirtatious, offers some cash etc. 

It's the tenants/ owners committee who empower the Juristic  person to enforce the condo rules and regulations