Covid Extensions deadline is a week away(24Aug). Has anyone applied recently and what was your experience?

i just tried Ayyuthaya immigration and got denied...

...but i think this has more to do with the individual main high-rank officer working at that moment. I could tell he didn't want me from the start, saying "tourist visa only allows one extension". He asked how i survived, i said "sometimes computer work?". This infuriated him more, because to him i am not paying taxes (this was the perception of another worker translating between us; younger, kinder, truthful, but alas powerless). At the end, of course, he has a "special offer" for 3500 baht. Of course.

aaand i <deleted> changed my address before i asked about visa extension! ugh.

a great native Ayyuthaya hostel owner confirmed this experience: their family really doesn't like Ayyuthaya's hospitals, immigration, and gov services in general.

my personal choices are to go back to my last immigration office in Ratchaburi, whom were very caring of my situation--more rural-love feeling, and try, or: try a trip to Malaysia. I'll have to decide very soon. =(

maybe try Ratchaburi tomorrow, and if not, take the train out on the weekend.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So you were offered a covid extension for 3500baht? 

And you didn't accept it?

not yet, i said i'll think about it...

he didn't say how long this special extension lasts, it sounded like 30 days max. In addition, the younger worker who spoke English recommended me to just pay the 500/day late when i leave, which is indeed another option, though i don't really prefer it either.

i'd rather just go back to the officer i know back in Ratchaburi, as i feel more comfortable, knowing it will be good. I've never accepted a "special visa" during my entire time in Thailand, and i don't want to now. If the office is bad, i just move, but that's just me personally.

Edited by rahil627

27 minutes ago, rahil627 said:

i

not yet, i said i'll think about it...

he didn't say how long this special extension lasts, it sounded like 30 days max. In addition, the younger worker who spoke English recommended me to just pay the 500/day late when i leave, which is indeed another option, though i don't really prefer it either.

i'd rather just go back to the officer i know back in Ratchaburi, as i feel more comfortable, knowing it will be good. I've never accepted a "special visa" during my entire time in Thailand, and i don't want to now. If the office is bad, i just move, but that's just me personally.

Each to their own.

Sounds like 3500b included the extension fee 1900baht.

Excellent deal. Probably no under consideration period.

If you have already do the standard 30 day extension. You would be obtaining a covid extension 60 days. 

Now you are still in no mans land. 

BTW do not listen to io re go on overstay. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Each to their own.

Sounds like 3500b included the extension fee 1900baht.

Excellent deal. Probably no under consideration period.

If you have already do the standard 30 day extension. You would be obtaining a covid extension 60 days. 

Now you are still in no mans land. 

While I might not have made the same decision myself, I actually admire anyone who is willing to take a stand against corruption, whether in their own country or in Thailand. It is up to each individual whether to take a moral stand over such things.

I 100% endorse your advice to not even consider going on overstay. It is not 1990 any more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

i also found it strange that it was even recommended to me... It may have been the younger kid's idea. That's just creating a reason for robbery!

Paying an extra 1600 Baht for an on the spot 60 days stamp there & then seems very reasonable to me - I would have smiled, handed over the money & walked out of there with my stamp & enjoyed the rest of my day instead of worrying about what to do next.

again, i'm not really sure if it's a 60-day visa or what. I heard "30 days" many times in Thai, and was told a "special visa". It was a brief encounter, a one-way translated conversation. I didn't even dare to ask anything, just had to obey.

i hear everyone tho, i still have time, kinda pushing it now tho (only fri/mon/tue? pray to Bhudda there are no holidays??). if i have the energy tomorrow, i might try ratchaburi, solely because i have a good relation with that officer, otherwise, ill give in and do it here.

1 minute ago, rahil627 said:

i also found it strange that it was even recommended to me... It may have been the younger kid's idea. That's just creating a reason for robbery!

again, i'm not really sure if it's a 60-day visa or what. I heard "30 days" many times in Thai, and was told a "special visa". It was a brief encounter, a one-way translated conversation. I didn't even dare to ask anything, just had to obey.

i hear everyone tho, i still have time, kinda pushing it now tho (only fri/mon/tue? pray to Bhudda there are no holidays??). if i have the energy tomorrow, i might try ratchaburi, solely because i have a good relation with that officer, otherwise, ill give in and do it here.

Your call.

Frankly don't understand why you would bother.

Bird in hand .....

BTW the 30 days you refer to is just the under consideration period.

They won't issue you another 30 day extension. 

I assume you have one previously.

The word "special" means nothing. It's just an extension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Probably no under consideration period.

1 hour ago, mesothelium said:

I just obtained my "Under Consideration" stamp at CW today

oh, eff, great point. i hate these things. this happens every-time i'm on the move.

i have no clue what would happen if i tried to fly out during this period...

but i think you're right. i remember this being offered before, as a choice: 1900 the normal way with a two-week consideration period or X amount for the "special" immediate service. Maybe that's what the meaning of "special" was...

now i'm a bit more optimistic about that thing!.. i dunno, i guess i was skeptical about the whole thing just from the feeling i got from the main officer (the one with a bunch of badges)... but this kinda make sense now...

maybe... or maybe he'll stamp me two weeks and tell me to get out.

i appreciate the thoughts from everyone though. If i didn't message here, i would've thought it was something completely non-legit, as opposed to just a tad bit of corruption money.

now the 3500 looks not-so-bad, as it would save two trips, if they're indeed doing visa under consideration.

Edited by rahil627

24 minutes ago, rahil627 said:

but i think you're right. i remember this being offered before, as a choice: 1900 the normal way with a two-week consideration period or X amount for the "special" immediate service. Maybe that's what the meaning of "special" was...

BTW, my under consideration period is three weeks to the day. 

The procedure at CW has varied each time I did my Covid extensions there.

1st extension (February) - 60 days from the date of application (not the end of my previous tourist visa extension). Covid extension stamped in right away.

2nd extension (April) - 60 days from the end of the previous Covid extension. Stamped in right away.

3rd extension (June) - 60 days from the end of the previous Covid extension. Given 3-week under consideration stamp.

4th extension (today) - the same as in June. (3-week under consideration stamp).

At no stage in this process was a "special" expedited service offered. The fee was always 1,900 baht, payable right after the documents were checked and accepted by the IO.

It may be the case that procedures are done much more "by the book" at CW compared with other offices, but this is purely speculative on my part as I have attended no other immigration office.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mesothelium said:

my under consideration period is three weeks to the day. 

huh... i thought it was always two-weeks, everywhere. Local governance...

4 minutes ago, mesothelium said:

from the date of application (not the end of my previous tourist visa extension)

lol, yeah, i've experienced both too. Just had to ask every-time to confirm the date.

7 minutes ago, mesothelium said:

It may be the case that procedures are done much more "by the book" at CW compared with other offices

it def varies by office (i migrate often, so i know). It sounds like you have a nice lawful office then! =]

i'll try the office here in ayyuthaya again tomorrow with extra money. I just hope i have the chance to know the length of it before paying. The extra cost outweighs the trips to my old office anyway, especially if there's a consideration period. I guess i'll give into corruption on my last extension... A parting gift?

i'll update tomorrow / over the weekend!

5500? i guess it's back to rip-the-tourists mode again, yikes!! i've never heard of such a cost. what office / province was that?? man, at that cost one might as well fly somewhere and make a trip!

pre-covid, people just did border runs and single extensions, yeah? i've run into newish travelers that have done the Malaysia border run, but not anyone who was here for a long time with a covid visa... i'm kinda afraid of doing that... but that's what people will have to do after the 24th, yeah?

42 minutes ago, rahil627 said:

i've run into newish travelers that have done the Malaysia border run, but not anyone who was here for a long time with a covid visa... i'm kinda afraid of doing that....

Doing land border bounces is actually pretty safe, whatever your immigration history. It only gives you the two allowed visa exempt entries by land per calendar year, however, unless you make arrangements to get a visa. [That said, stay away from the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border unless your immigration history is snowy white.]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Doing land border bounces is actually pretty safe, whatever your immigration history. It only gives you the two allowed visa exempt entries by land per calendar year, however, unless you make arrangements to get a visa.

hmmmm, sounds like a trip to me! =] i mean, technically, i didn't have any visa-exempts entries this year... ???? 

Edited by rahil627

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Doing land border bounces is actually pretty safe, whatever your immigration history. It only gives you the two allowed visa exempt entries by land per calendar year, however, unless you make arrangements to get a visa. [That said, stay away from the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border unless your immigration history is snowy white.]

Yup. Before pandemic, I was visa running to Kanchanaburi. But I don't see that working out in the near future with the whole Myanmar political situation right now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Went today laksi it square no issues was in an out in an hour or so.

I think I got lucky with a nice IO as well. I’ve been here since July 2021 off covid extensions so I was going to just tell them no worries if they wanted me back home, but it looks like I’ll be here another 2 months before going back. 

will have to see if they give me 60 days from august 25 or if they give me 60 days from my visa expiration (sept 18). I just have the under consideration stamp. 

When did they tell you to come next time? After under cobsideration stamp

On 8/18/2022 at 5:13 PM, DrJack54 said:

Your call.

Frankly don't understand why you would bother.

Bird in hand .....

BTW the 30 days you refer to is just the under consideration period.

They won't issue you another 30 day extension. 

I assume you have one previously.

The word "special" means nothing. It's just an extension.

Today there is a report that says state of emergy will end 1st October along with Covid downgrade status. Could change things.

Not BP but the other paper.

14 hours ago, dj230 said:

early September 

Tanks for reply. Just on Monday I got my second stamp after the  "under consideration stamp". So I had my covid extention till 21 September. I wander if I apply before August 24, will they give 60 days from the day of my current extention expire.  Was not easy last  time at Jang Wattana, had to bring a letter from the embassy, do 90 days report that has never been requiered in Pattaya, copies of every single stamp of thai immigration in my passport etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anandra said:

Tanks for reply. Just on Monday I got my second stamp after the  "under consideration stamp". So I had my covid extention till 21 September. I wander if I apply before August 24, will they give 60 days from the day of my current extention expire.  Was not easy last  time at Jang Wattana, had to bring a letter from the embassy, do 90 days report that has never been requiered in Pattaya, copies of every single stamp of thai immigration in my passport etc

Yea that’s what I’m wondering as well, whether it’s aug 25 + 60 days or if it will be my visa expiration + 60 days. 

In the past every time I did a covid extension it’s been 60 days added to my visa expiration and the office at IT laksi square is actually super chill so I think it would be, although I wouldn’t mind if it was only added to aug 25th

it would make sense from a transit point of view if they extended from the end of one’s visa too because if not there will be a lot of people leaving around October 25th 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1