DAIKAN vs HITACHI vs PANASONIC ACs: 18000 BTUs, TOP OF THE LINE for each Brand. Which is a better machine? Which has better service?

Dear Friends,

This is my first super-important topic out of lesserly important topics.

I have a stake in the game.

Here is my story.

I have been kicking around Asia, both East Asia and South East Asia, for awhile now.

And, many years ago, I thought that Mr. Matsu<deleted>a was rather good. (Mr. 松下 幸之助 Matsu<deleted>a. Sorry if his name is blocked here, just because it sounds like...some bad word.)

But now, I wonder if he has become just another Ford, and not even a Buick.

In fact, during the past few years, I have even taken to calling Mr. Matsu<deleted>a...Mr. Edsel.

What has happened to Matsu<deleted>a Electronics, out of Osaka, these days?

I am talking about good service.

I am not saying nothing about this company, of course, unless it might just be in some sort of backhand way.

For the scientists among us, on this forum, we all know that nobody should generalize based on a small sample.

But, in fact, I have had, really, bad experiences with my Edsel products and purchases.

(Again, I am only a sample of ONE.  Therefore, you should not extrapolate my experience in order to guide your buying choices.)

What I am saying is that I might be able to get rid of my Edsel for a Daikin.

However, in doing this, I might just be shooting myself in the foot...IF....I were not totally convinced that Daikin service might be better than that provided by the now deceased Mr. Matsu<deleted>a.

Let me tell you another story:

When I was living in Japan, and I lived there off and on for many years, I really loved the great quality of Japanese products.

Also, I loved the design of Japanese products, which is completely understandable.

BUT NOW, I am beginning to think contrarily to what I thought two decades ago, and even before that.

Because, I think that Mr. Edsel would be rolling in the grave if he had known what I have experienced after purchasing a few of his Edsel products here in Thailand.

I do NOT wish to sway anyone by my own personal experience.

This would NOT be correct (truly).

But, let us say, that I am an extremely disappointed customer due to poor service and quality from this company which is NOT up to par.

I mean that it is not up to the par that I had always loved when buying products from Mr. Edsel in Japan.

Therefore:

In Thailand, and Top of the Line, for Daikan, Hitachi, Panasonic, in terms of:

a. quality

b. after-sales service

c. overall satisfaction with this type of consumer product

Which is the best, these days?

Similar topics have been posted in the past.  And I have already googled them on TV, but I am talking about NOW, in 2022.

Personally, I have used only Daikan and Panasonic ACs.

However, I think I might have been mistaken for not choosing an Hitachi AC, instead.

Please keep in mind that...SERVICE is crucial for those living in Thailand.

Therefore, which company do you think provides the best after-sales service?

I really do not know which company provides the best service.

HOWEVER:  I have been told by several service guys that HITACHI stands by its products, through thick and thin, and that HITACHI regards customer satisfaction as being their PRIME OBJECTIVE.  (Not to also mention that Hitachi is an amazing engineering company, too.)

I cannot argue with this, just because I have had the opportunity to enjoy a bit of GREAT customer support from Hitachi, in the past, here in Thailand.

Well, I do not wish to say much more, except, if I had to do things over again, then I would junk my Edsel machines for either Hitachi or Daikin, and never look back.

But, would I be correct in doing so?

Which is better for SERVICE, ENGINEERING, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION with USE?

This is my first strange post because...

This time I am not really joking....  so solly.

Regards

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Mitsubushi heavy duty series with inverter bang for the money. Silent, service and quality 

Can you guarantee SILENCE, very rigidly maintained temperature control, within plus or minus 0.5 degrees C, and dynamite service? 

It just seems to me as if, at least in Thailand, the once respected name of the guy from Osaka is being dragged through the mud. 

I no longer have respect for the legacy company started by Matsu<deleted>a. Especially in Thailand. 

So sad, really. 

Don't forget Mitsubishi.

As long as you keep them well maintained they'll last a long time. 

I stay away from inverters for and brand because they seem to struggle with the combination of heat and humidity that Thailand is renowned for. 

Edited by MrJ2U

Please keep in mind that ACs using inverters are key to lowering energy costs, as well as providing comfort.

If you know how an inverter works, then you would not buy an AC which does not use an inverter.

Also, considering that energy efficiency is crucial, then we all need to buy ACs with an EER (SEER) above 23.

Of course, as we all know, the EER rating used in the past is fractionally different from the SEER rating often used today.

How do you calculate the EER?

Simple.

Just divide the BTU by wattage.

So, if your unit puts out 18,000 BTU while consuming 1000 watts, then your unit probably has an EER of 18, which is quite low.

What you really need to do is buy an AC with an inverter which has an EER of 23, or more.

EER is just a ratio, of course.

I mean, for those who have never studied physics in elementary school, then ratios might be something foreign to you.

So solly if you are in this bunch.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Don't forget Mitsubishi.

As long as you keep them well maintained they'll last a long time. 

I stay away from inverters for and brand because they seem to struggle with the combination of heat and humidity that Thailand is renowned for. 

This is FALSE info.

Sorry, but this is false.

Never buy a new AC which does not use an inverter.

Inverter air conditioner

An inverter is energy saving technology that eliminates wasted operation in air conditioners by efficiently controlling motor speed. Air conditioners maintain set temperature by cooling when room temperature rises above the set temperature and heating when the room temperature falls below the set temperature.

DO YOU KNOW HOW AN INVERTER WORKS?

An inverter converts AC power to DC power to run the electric motor, and can increase speed gradually, by doing so.

I recall when I as a very young person, just after I had cast off my diapers, and I already knew, then, the advantages of an inverter for controlling electric motors running of AC current.

So, please, let's keep this real.

If you REALLY want to know how an inverter works in an AC machine, just google it.  You will not be disappointed.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1

Sometimes, when people talk about things they know nothing about, it gives me a headache.

When we talk about inverters, we are only talking about converting DC to AC, or AC to DC, or AC/DC.

This is the purpose of an inverter.

This is what inverters do.

And, in this case, we can use an inverter to control an electric motor, for example.

An inverter controls the frequency of power supplied to an AC motor to control the rotation speed of the motor. Without an inverter, the AC motor would operate at full speed as soon as the power supply was turned ON. You would not be able to control the speed, making the applications for the motor limited.

HERE is just ANOTHER example of an inverter, for example....

10 minutes ago, proton said:

Got 2 the Heavy duty one I find very noisy, but it's not an inverter, I like the Mr Slim one more.

That is correct, FRIEND, Mitsubishis are the pits.

I would NEVER buy one.

They use them in guesthouses because they last a long time.

And, the guests hate them because they are so noisy.

I would never stay in a guesthouse with a Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi made good aircraft years ago, though....

SNEEK ATTACK!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, proton said:

which is the quietest then?

This is very difficult for the individual to judge, would you not think?

Personally, I have found the Panasonic machines among the quietest.  BUT, I have NO WAY of making an easy comparison...because...I have no industrial testbed to set up machines and then test them with proper equipment.

I really do not know.

However, what I was saying is that the Panasonic machines here may not have very good customer support.  And, even TERRIBLE customer support, compared to Hitachi in Thailand.  I will not give my opinion.  But, I will say that I will NEVER ever buy another Panasonic product in Thailand.

Some say Daikan is quiet.

I have had a Daikan, but I cannot compare that to what is available today.

Maybe Hitachi is best.

I really have no idea.

BUT, the Panasonic machines coming out of Malaysia, these days, I would say are the absolute pits, EVEN THOUGH I am only basing this judgement on a very small sample size.  Maybe others can help me to increase this sample size and get a better feeling for the stuff that is now coming out of Malaysia.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Please keep in mind that, just because SOME people might consistently receive ROTTEN after-sales customer service from Matsu<deleted>a does not mean that most people receive such rotten service, here, where we live.

And, as we know, there must be some reason why Matsu<deleted>a has its name partially deleted, here.

Maybe because, in some cases, the service is just <deleted>, but I do not know.

53 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is FALSE info.

Inverter air conditioner

An inverter is energy saving technology that eliminates wasted operation in air conditioners by efficiently controlling motor speed. Air conditioners maintain set temperature by cooling when room temperature rises above the set temperature and heating when the room temperature falls below the set temperature.

An inverter converts AC power to DC power to run the electric motor, and can increase speed gradually, by doing so.

I recall when I as a very young person, just after I had cast off my diapers, and I already knew, then, the advantages of an inverter for controlling electric motors running of AC current.

If you REALLY want to know how an inverter works in an AC machine, just google it.  You will not be disappointed.

I've tried a few Daikon inverters and they just couldn't handle the high heat and humidity.  

Luckily the supplier took them back and exchanged them for our current Mitsubishi's.

Perhaps you have had better luck than we had.  

47 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

That is correct, FRIEND, Mitsubishis are the pits.

I would NEVER buy one.

They use them in guesthouses because they last a long time.

And, the guests hate them because they are so noisy.

I would never stay in a guesthouse with a Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi made good aircraft years ago, though....

SNEEK ATTACK!

Ok.

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I've tried a few Daikon inverters and they just couldn't handle the high heat and humidity.  

Luckily the supplier took them back and exchanged them for our current Mitsubishi's.

Perhaps you have had better luck than we had.  

I have never used a Daikan inverter AC in Thailand.

I have used Daikan inverter ACs in Zhongshan, China, which gets hotter than Hades, but I have not used them for more than 5 years.

Personally, my preference has always been Panasonic....  BUT.  The STINKY POOR Panasonic service provided by the importer/distributor for Thailand, has left me very cold.

Also, the "Panasonic"  machines coming out of Malaysia, imported to Thailand, are, for me at least, the pits.

I am only being honest.

I really have no idea about which machine might be better for Thailand.

I only know that I will NEVER buy another Panasonic product, as long as I live in Thailand.

MY THINKING Now is that I will begin to buy Hitachi products.

HITACHI has great service, both from my experience, and also, judging from what service people have told me....

They have told me... HITACHI has great after-sales service.

Therefore, since I know that HITACHI has good engineering, good design, and good service, then I will do my best to buy Hitachi, whenever I can.

(This is not an ad for Hitachie, OF COURSE, but I am just trying to weigh my options on what to buy, in Thailand.)

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Fujitsu.

Yes.

I think you are correct.

One of my friends has a large FUJITSU AC, and it is a beauty.

But, what they have is a very large unit.

And, I have not checked the efficiency, either.

Any unit that can get to an EER of 23, or more, is OK with me.

PLEASE NOTE:  In many cases, it is the smaller units, around 18000BTU that can achieve the highest EER ratings.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have never used a Daikan inverter AC in Thailand.

I have used Daikan inverter ACs in Zhongshan, China, which gets hotter than Hades, but I have not used them for more than 5 years.

Personally, my preference has always been Panasonic....  BUT.  The STINKY POOR Panasonic service provided by the importer/distributor for Thailand, has left me very cold.

Also, the "Panasonic"  machines coming out of Malaysia, imported to Thailand, are, for me at least, the pits.

I am only being honest.

I really have no idea about which machine might be better for Thailand.

I only know that I will NEVER buy another Panasonic product, as long as I live in Thailand.

MY THINKING Now is that I will begin to buy Hitachi products.

HITACHI has great service, both from my experience, and also, judging from what service people have told me....

They have told me... HITACHI has great after-sales service.

Therefore, since I know that HITACHI has good engineering, good design, and good service, then I will do my best to buy Hitachi, whenever I can.

(This is not an ad for Hitachie, OF COURSE, but I am just trying to weigh my options on what to buy, in Thailand.)

Hitachi is a good company with great aftermarket service.

We use Hitachi water pumps and they rarely breakdown.

When they do we've had to send them to Bangkok to be fixed.  Easy peasy. 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Can you guarantee SILENCE, very rigidly maintained temperature control, within plus or minus 0.5 degrees C, and dynamite service? 

It just seems to me as if, at least in Thailand, the once respected name of the guy from Osaka is being dragged through the mud. 

I no longer have respect for the legacy company started by Matsu<deleted>a. Especially in Thailand. 

So sad, really. 

Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Duty are actually two different companies.

Both are excellent products as per the usual Japanese build quality. 

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Fujitsu.

AGAIN, I would like to state that you are so right.

Now that I think about it, I had a Fujitsu AC in Taiwan, operating under the harshest of conditions, for MANY years, like 15 years, in a very smoky environment....

That machine operated like a German WW2 Tank, and it was super quiet, and it was great.

EXTREMELY high temps in Taiwan inside a small company.

And, that machine never had any issues.

Therefore, yes....

I believe, just from my experience, you are so right that Fujitsu AC (But only Made in Japan), cannot be beat.

Good Choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Hitachi is a good company with great aftermarket service.

We use Hitachi water pumps and they rarely breakdown.

When they do we've had to send them to Bangkok to be fixed.  Easy peasy. 

I totally agree with you.

HITACHI really DOES care about after-sales service, and also engineering.

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

I totally agree with you.

HITACHI really DOES care about after-sales service, and also engineering.

Either way, I've got no electricity to run the air-conditioning as we're being hit hard by storms tonight.

Luckily we've got a generator for some fans. 

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Either way, I've got no electricity to run the air-conditioning as we're being hit hard by storms tonight.

Luckily we've got a generator for some fans. 

I feel for you...

YES, of course, we all do.

When the AC goes out, things get very bad.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind when choosing an AC for the bedroom, and this is to choose an AC of suitable size to be able to maintain the temperature at about 19 degrees C.

Therefore, you must choose an AC of at least 18000 BTU for the average-size bedroom.

However, do not choose a Panasonic AC from Malaysia, in this case.

In my experience, the Panasonic AC might not be able to maintain the temperature at 19 degrees, consistently, just due to defects in either the design or the materials (only from my experience).

I would NEVER EVER buy any imports of ACs from Malaysia.

Maybe this is just my experience being BURNED by some faulty imports.

But, if you want good sleep, you need consistent temps held at about 19 degrees.

This is just science from many various sleep studies done at places around the world, such as maybe Duke, or some place.

Ivy Guys need their sleep, and they sleep best at lower temps.

You know that some manufacturers have no sense of humor about the faulty products they distribute here, or anywhere.

Speaking of Fawlty...

and FAWLTY SERVICE from distributors and importers here....

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is FALSE info.

Inverter air conditioner

Some people here do not actually know what an inverter does.

This is the same as the people here who don't know what a vaccine does.

Both groups of people should not be considered unintelligent.

Instead, they need a chance to learn something new.

Here is a link which might help for understanding what inverters do for your AC and Refrigerator...

https://www.fujielectric.com/products/column/inverter/inverter_01.html

image.jpeg.302b9d9075ff21d2f68d15de93b6acac.jpeg

Inverters are NOTHING to be afraid about, even in hot temps.

Anyone who does not take advantage of inverter tech for controlling motors is a fool, of course.

Quote:  Don't make a fool of yourself just through being unwilling to rectify your own ignorance through simple learning

image.jpeg