Cost of Living Comparison Between Pattaya and Da Nang 

ASEAN NOW News

According to the popular website Numbeo you would need around THB71,941.21 (47,173,530.09₫) in Da Nang to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with THB80,000.00 in Pattaya (assuming you rent in both cities).

istockphoto-1297919289-612x612.jpg.87eb28e8f89b31a3c7766cf18713277f.jpg

Pattaya Beach

This calculation uses Numbeo’s Cost of Living Plus Rent Index which they update monthly to compare cost of living.

These figures assume net earnings (after income tax) if you are paying tax.

Here are some interesting figures:

Consumer Prices in Da Nang are 8.05% lower than in Pattaya (without rent)

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Da Nang are 10.07% lower than in Pattaya

Rent Prices in Da Nang are 17.17% lower than in Pattaya

Restaurant Prices in Da Nang are 25.55% lower than in Pattaya

Groceries Prices in Da Nang are 8.54% lower than in Pattaya

Local Purchasing Power in Da Nang is 0.55% lower than in Pattaya.

istockphoto-481599142-612x612.jpg.87e7d99ba71c015e2e5510236be04996.jpg

Danang

Beer drinkers will be saving a lot in Danang

Domestic Beer (0.5-liter draught) was -54.81% cheaper in Danang and Imported Beer (0.33-liter bottle) -39.00% cheaper.

Other basic costs:

Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) came out 22.72 % higher in Danang.

And gasoline currently was -10.55% cheaper in Danang.

Rentals

Taking a one bedroom apartment in the city centre averaged 13,376฿ (8,771,517₫) in Pattaya compared to 10,770฿ (7,062,500₫) in Danang so Dangang came out 119.48% cheaper.

There are a lot of similar comparisons between these two cities.

Both are located by the sea with excellent beaches, restaurants, hotels, condominiums, and villas.

They are both served by international airports and have rail links as well, which are currently being improved or updated.

For golfers, Pattaya has more golf courses at approx. 28 to Danang’s 12, however many of Danang’s courses are new and use the latest technology.

The bottom line is this is a snapshot and of course, prices can differ, however, both cities attract a large number of ex-pats, so it is down to personal choice and visa and healthcare facilities on offer.

14 minutes ago, worldexpress said:

One has an authoritarian communist government, under which one has no fair due process rights.

The point is, it's not always about the landscape or the price of beer. One can pay a steep price in other ways.

Leave out the communist part, and you've basically described every govt.

Only difference I'm seeing is population & area size.  Plead ignorance about DN, as never been.

Overall monthly price difference about 10% ... would that be a factor for anyone ?

On 8/22/2022 at 5:37 AM, worldexpress said:

One has an authoritarian communist government, under which one has no fair due process rights.

The point is, it's not always about the landscape or the price of beer. One can pay a steep price in other ways.

And the other one is in Vietnam...hahaha 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...
On 8/23/2022 at 2:47 PM, chickenslegs said:

Only one of them has an excellent beach (IMO).

Which one has the excellent beach, in your opinion?
Have been here in Vietnam for about 3 days now, with a family and friends pre-paid tour.  Which seems to be more of a shopping tour in my opinion.

The beach looked nice and clean.  I did not swim as swimming was not in the schedule.  

Seems to be a pretty modern city in some ways.   Definitly not like the last night that I spent here.   Da Nang was hit with what sounded like 122mm rockets for about 15 minutes then.  

Our last night is at Na Ba Hills resort or what ever this, supposedly, French resort is supposed to be.   The cable car ride up here was pretty exciting.   4.5 year old grandson kept saying, I like it, I like it, I ...

Edited by radiochaser
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Which one has the excellent beach, in your opinion?

Pattaya beach has its attractions, but it is not the cleanest.

15 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Da Nang was hit with what sounded like 122mm rockets for about 15 minutes then.  

Would that be the fireworks on the Dragon Bridge at weekends.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:47 AM, ASEAN NOW News said:

The bottom line is this is a snapshot and of course, prices can differ, however, both cities attract a large number of ex-pats, so it is down to personal choice and visa and healthcare facilities on offer.

No retirement VISA in Vietnam, you either have to work there or marry a local.

Da Nang beach is really nice for swimming though.

IMG_20190704_122208.jpg

But if you want the full 'single guy' experience, Saigon is the place to be and you need to take the ferry to Vung Tau for the swimming.

IMG_20180422_061504 (1).jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Pattaya beach has its attractions, but it is not the cleanest.

Would that be the fireworks on the Dragon Bridge at weekends.

I doubt there was a dragon bridge existing in May of 1972.   But that would have been nice to see from the hotel roof top. 

On 8/22/2022 at 10:47 AM, ASEAN NOW News said:

13,376฿ (8,771,517₫) in Pattaya compared to 10,770฿ (7,062,500₫) in Danang so Dangang came out 119.48% cheaper.

Somebody can't do maths, I make that 124.19%

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Somebody can't do maths, I make that 124.19%

But it isn't the OP though, who understands that there is a difference between percentage more expensive and percentage cheaper

Edited by BenStark

10 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Always had Da Nang as my back-up if things went tits up in Thailand, never been, but will soon for a scout. Hotels seem very cheap also

Accommodation is way more expensive in Vietnam than Thailand.

How do you expect to stay in Vietnam with no long term VISA on offer?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, BritManToo said:

Accommodation is way more expensive in Vietnam than Thailand.

How do you expect to stay in Vietnam with no long term VISA on offer?

Agoda says otherwise, Saigon and Hanoi being the exception. Every other accomodation around Vietnam seems dead cheap compared to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Thorix said:

Agoda says otherwise, Saigon and Hanoi being the exception. Every other accomodation around Vietnam seems dead cheap compared to Thailand.

Don't give a flying one what Agoda says, I've been there, you haven't.

Accommodation that costs 500bht in Thailand, costs 800-1,000bht in Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines/China.

Thailand has the cheapest hotels/guesthouses in SEA, and I've been all over.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Accommodation that costs 500bht in Thailand, costs 800-1,000bht in Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines/China.

How do you know I haven't? It seems your ego issues checks you can't back up.

"Don't give a flying one what Agoda says, I've been there," = Reality says this, I say that.

Take a look: https://www.agoda.com/search?guid=b3a22c9b-1591-4709-8e93-91d3e132c318&asq=3IlS7M%2FzGmuQkLH9mkHpv1Jv5VRthjUUxcAvaVVelcEkskrYXZdBXXSdx%2Bxe0emjaEyuOyfDMEavPviAOLhIaX9M98m8qJeorw19GV2HphFRGDYBoG8xhg%2FgYA8%2FVlF5bbYhAtfVY%2BSwpUg5x%2FQA4SPj8tG2w9mQ4k4grTxw%2FoW0nnJWxqzLizyqeT4duWXUtQDL6afeOLVFlrg86NELVQ%3D%3D&city=2679&tick=638329627877&locale=en-us&ckuid=51b43fc9-7437-42b1-91df-687d79c77ab0&prid=0&currency=THB&correlationId=4a98f825-3554-4995-ac5f-e3cc0bc38f20&analyticsSessionId=185228151548717190&pageTypeId=7&realLanguageId=1&languageId=1&origin=TH&cid=-294&userId=51b43fc9-7437-42b1-91df-687d79c77ab0&whitelabelid=1&loginLvl=0&storefrontId=3&currencyId=6&currencyCode=THB&htmlLanguage=en-us&cultureInfoName=en-us&memberId=53014385&machineName=sg-pc-6g-acm-web-user-78b8f96b84-6x6kw&trafficGroupId=1&sessionId=ivi0gzkosr3ukfmoyvoohldy&trafficSubGroupId=94&aid=130589&useFullPageLogin=true&cttp=4&isRealUser=true&mode=production&browserFamily=Chrome&checkIn=2023-11-01&checkOut=2023-11-09&rooms=1&adults=2&children=0&priceCur=THB&los=8&textToSearch=Nha Trang&travellerType=1&familyMode=off&productType=-1&sort=priceLowToHigh#

Edited by Thorix

On 10/14/2023 at 4:29 AM, BritManToo said:

Lay off the dope and booze brit man, I’ve spent tons of time in both and danang- Vietnam has much nicer and. Cheaper accommodation than Thailand period

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm in Danang now and can confirm hotels ARE much cheaper but also run down... No money to fix - I guess.

Otherwise food etc are same price as in Thailand but much worse in quality and street food stalls are dirtier. Don't want to eat there (tried only 2 times).

All in all nice city, river front specially with free music, lots of families and soldiers kicking back. Thailand has nothing like it. 20 meters wide paseo for 3-4 km with beautiful bridges w lights. A bit like Paris!

Airport super nice, clean, modern. I took a hotel close to it and can walk there -:)

Pattaya to BKK sucks more after this trip. 

Would I like to live here? I don't think so... too many honking moto bikes. Exhaust gas made me sick and noisy life style. Normal for country with lot of young people, I'm an old fart. I don't below there.

But to visit - very nice for few days. Will be back.