Trump asks for a 'special master' to review Mar-a-Lago evidence

Scott

3 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

The FBI's bosses........ the DOJ....... denied having them. 

I never said the FBI denied having them.

But whether or not the FBI or the DOJ denied having them........ isn't the point, is it?

The point is......... the thing I responded to was.......... laughing inappropriately......

[I want  say crazily! lol]......... at the idea that documents taken in the raid were "his property."

The passports having been taken during the raid......... proves that Trump's concern is valid.

Generally speaking.......... valid concerns .........are not the things one laughs at!

Nobody denied they had them, provide a link to this fake news?

59 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

We already know they took his passports......... then denied they had them...... then returned them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Already covered here:

The letter also shows that in the interim, DOJ asked President Joe Biden to authorize NARA to provide the records to investigators despite an effort by Trump to claim executive privilege over the records. Wall indicated she had rejected Trump’s claim because of the significance of the documents to national security.

“NARA informed the Department of Justice about that discovery, which prompted the Department to ask the President to request that NARA provide the FBI with access to the boxes at issue so that the FBI and others in the Intelligence Community could examine them,” Wall wrote.

Biden, according to Wall, then delegated the privilege decision to her, in consultation with the Justice Department.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/23/national-archives-letter-trump-security-00053250

And had I said anything about "Executive" Privilege, this would be a solid response.

But I talked about "Attorney/Client Privilege," not  "Executive" Privilege. 

3 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

And had I said anything about "Executive" Privilege, this would be a solid response.

But I talked about "Attorney/Client Privilege," not  "Executive" Privilege. 

Attorney/Client Privilege would indeed be grounds for him to ask for a special master but it was pointed out at the beginning of this thread already that this should have been asked for 2 weeks ago. Regardless now he has asked for it the motion was batted back to him by the judge.

Link requested........

https://gazette.com/news/us-world/doj-offers-trump-his-passports-back/article_19a07a80-7dda-57a8-9d57-da0f9a4e793a.html

Fourth paragraph.......

Budowich made the revelation in response to a tweet from CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell, who said a DOJ source informed her the department was not in possession of the passports."

But as I said earlier....... this is nothing but a distraction. It has NOTHING to do with the point made in the relevant post!

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

An anonymous source at the DOJ? Got anything better or is that enough to satisfy you? And from a parochial newspaper with a reach of 100K.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

From your link

'Budowich made the revelation in response to a tweet from CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell, who said a DOJ source informed her the department was not in possession of the passports."

So no direct denial from fbi or doj, only 1!! Claim from 1 journalist 

In addition, the only valid passport taken was a diplomatic passport which I would presume he is not entitled to. To whom do diplomatic passports belong?

10 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Link requested........

https://gazette.com/news/us-world/doj-offers-trump-his-passports-back/article_19a07a80-7dda-57a8-9d57-da0f9a4e793a.html

Fourth paragraph.......

Budowich made the revelation in response to a tweet from CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell, who said a DOJ source informed her the department was not in possession of the passports."

But as I said earlier....... this is nothing but a distraction. It has NOTHING to do with the point made in the relevant post!

1) DOJ obtained three passports (two expired, not one, as Trump said) and alerted Trump lawyers

2) They were recovered by a filter team, which weeds out privileged info.

3) Trump publicized this after DOJ offered them back

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1559324841681063936

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

From your link

'Budowich made the revelation in response to a tweet from CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell, who said a DOJ source informed her the department was not in possession of the passports."

In addition, the only valid passport taken was a diplomatic passport which I would presume he is not entitled to. To whom do diplomatic passports belong?

Presumably, Trump was always in possession of his valid travel passport.

• Confused 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, ozimoron said:

They already got $1.6 billion from a dark money fund run by the Federalist Society, the same society which manipulated the last 3 supreme court appointments. There remains the possibility that dealings between this outfit and Trump are included in those documents.

https://www.propublica.org/article/dark-money-leonard-leo-barre-seid

There's some unripe conjecture for no apparent reason.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:34 PM, Eric Loh said:

Reported by Forbes that the lawsuit was assigned to federal Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee. and a member of the Federalist Society. Perhaps a conflict of interest here and should recuse herself. 

Or, rather than acting like a 45 sycophant, you could wait and see what develops.

Several posts about the Federalist society seem to be unaware that they are most definitely NOT pro 45. Their agenda is much more conservative original style, not MAGA.

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

There's some unripe conjecture for no apparent reason.

It's not an unreasonable direction to speculate in my opinion. Read some of what Senator Sheldon Whitehouse has to say about the Federalist Society and the supreme court nominations some time. He also refers to dark money behind it all.

What we are looking for here is a substantial reason for raiding rather then just a clerical error on Trump's behalf. As well as the probable cause issues. So we do know there's sinister stuff in those documents that Trump doesn't want us to see.

• Haha 1

Or, rather than acting like a 45 sycophant, you could wait and see what develops.

Several posts about the Federalist society seem to be unaware that they are most definitely NOT pro 45. Their agenda is much more conservative original style, not MAGA.

Oh yeah, that's why ALL of Trump's SC picks came from the Federalist Society.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, DezLez said:

The point is that the "Trump supporters" do not have a fully functioning mind!

And the above just exasperates the problem. I have more in common with my 45-loving friends than not. The <deleted> above is just tribalism. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Please. The Supreme Court Justices that Trump appointed are all anti-labor pro corporation. They also believe even extreme gerrymandering is not a violation of the 14th Amendment.  They believe that religion is entitled to special protectioni. They endorse the view that limiting election contributions is unconstitutional. Apart from Trump's election lunacy, they and the Federalist Society align very nicely with Trump's stances on the issues.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:

From your link

All "United States passports are property of the United States and must be returned to the U.S. government upon demand".

United States passport - Wikipedia

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Please. The Supreme Court Justices that Trump appointed are all anti-labor pro corporation. They also believe even extreme gerrymandering is not a violation of the 14th Amendment.  They believe that religion is entitled to special protectioni. They endorse the view that limiting election contributions is unconstitutional. Apart from Trump's election lunacy, they and the Federalist Society align very nicely with Trump's stances on the issues.

The actual justice u originally refered to did the right thing and punted it back to the proper jurisdiction. Do you have a problem with that?

The actual justice u originally refered to did the right thing and punted it back to the proper jurisdiction. Do you have a problem with that?

What's that got to do with your generalization about the Federalist Society and where it stands on the issues?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Yeah, go with that in a court of law. U understand that this is a LEGAL issue right? Ur feelings and assumptions matter little.

It was US board members I was referring to. I think we are entitled to assume that. I didn't say the court would agree. There's enough evidence out there to remove all reasonable doubt unless both sides are lying.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

From the very beginning, concern was expressed that there could be privileged Attorney/Client documents among those taken. 

One of the jobs of a Special Master is to confirm that the FBI/DOJ are blocked from reading communications they are not supposed to.

If Trump told his attorney things in confidence........... about illegal or questionable activities........ and the prosecutors get a chance to see that.......... the Court could hold that Trump's 5th Amendment Right to not Self-Incriminate.......... has been violated. 

Seeing that there were concerns about Privileged Communications being expressed from the very beginning............

Asking for a Special Master makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is why it took so long to ask for one!

Is it possible that waiting so long to ask for a Special Master was a tactic?

Is it possible they can now claim the evidence has been tainted........ because the prosecution had so much time to see a variety of things they "shouldn't have?"

If indeed the documents taken include Privileged Communications.......... having a Special Master review them before disseminating them.......... is both sensible and appropriate. 

In fact, it is so sensible and appropriate............ that it should have been done much earlier!

(Indeed, it is SO sensible and appropriate that........ as soon the concern about Privileged Commications came up............ a clever prosecutor would have insisted upon it himself!)

The FBI has a system in place to deal with this issue:

DOJ 'taint team' examining Trump Mar-a-Lago documents

A Department of Justice "taint" or "filter" team has been reviewing documents seized by the FBI during its raid on former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, Fox News has learned.

A senior law enforcement official familiar with the process told Fox News that the review began soon after the search warrant was executed on Aug. 8.

The official said that it is standard procedure for the Justice Department to use a "taint" or "filter" team to go through documents obtained during a search — in part to identify records that may be protected by attorney-client privilege.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doj-apos-taint-team-apos-165632335.html

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What's that got to do with your generalization about the Federalist Society and where it stands on the issues?

My point WAS NOT about the FS, but about its relationship to MAGA, which you do not seem to comprehend.

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

My point WAS NOT about the FS, but about its relationship to MAGA, which you do not seem to comprehend.

The Federalist Society is MAGA, not a separate entity. MAGA is not an organization but rather an ideology that wants to take up back to some indeterminate time in history when things were much better, presumably about 1963.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The Federalist Society is MAGA, not a separate entity.

The federalist society predates maga by 30 years (founded 1986). Do you even have a clue of what has been going on for those 30 years without 45?

Do you seriously think that MTG has even the vaguest clue to the very smart, very evil plans hatched by the FS 30 years ago? Or any other MAGA supporter? Preposterous.

Edited by mikebike

2 minutes ago, mikebike said:

The federalist society predates maga by 30 years (founded 1986). Do you even have a clue of what has been going on for those 30 years without 45?

The conservative ideology that is MAGA has existed for decades. It was called the Tea Party at one time. Same characters and plot, different name.