Thailand and foreign embassies prepare for influx of foreign criminals in 22/23 High Season

webfact

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, but extradition requests have to be very specific and countries receiving them do not have to agree to extradition to Thailand.  Just that he may have been spotted somewhere isn't enough.

Just how much do you actually know about the extradition process? You make a lot of statements as if you were an experienced criminal lawyer. You seem to be intent on shooting down any possibility of bringing him to account . What's your suggestion for so doing?

26 minutes ago, bradiston said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Vorayuth did not skip bail, the warrant for his arrest hadn't been presented at the time that he left Thailand.

"If Thailand has made a request regarding his presence in a foreign country then that foreign country is obliged to comply".

That's not correct.  If you're referring to an Interpol Red Notice being issued, they are advisory notices, nothing more.   There is no obligation on any Interpol member police force to act on them.

If you're suggesting that any country is obliged to arrest and deport/extradite any individual just at the request of another country, you're wrong there also.

Expand  

My research says he was charged and released on a $16,000 bail bond. He then skipped.

"While Vorayuth later admitted to police that he had hit the policeman, he told investigators the man had abruptly cut in front of him. He was charged with reckless driving and failing to stop or inform authorities – a potential 10-year jail sentence – and released on 500,000-baht [£10,100] bail. It was unclear what the results of his blood alcohol test were."

Thanks for that, I may stand corrected but bear in mind that the article is from The Guardian!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

28 minutes ago, bradiston said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Vorayuth did not skip bail, the warrant for his arrest hadn't been presented at the time that he left Thailand.

"If Thailand has made a request regarding his presence in a foreign country then that foreign country is obliged to comply".

That's not correct.  If you're referring to an Interpol Red Notice being issued, they are advisory notices, nothing more.   There is no obligation on any Interpol member police force to act on them.

If you're suggesting that any country is obliged to arrest and deport/extradite any individual just at the request of another country, you're wrong there also.

Expand  

My research says he was charged and released on a $16,000 bail bond. He then skipped.

Your link reports $10k, not $16k.

26 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Just how much do you actually know about the extradition process? You make a lot of statements as if you were an experienced criminal lawyer. You seem to be intent on shooting down any possibility of bringing him to account . What's your suggestion for so doing?

I know enough about it to counter incorrect assertions made by people who don't know anything about it (not necessarily referring to you, of course).  Anyone who disputes my comments is free to query them and show that I'm wrong if they've got evidence that I am wrong. 

I'm not shooting down any possibility of his being brought to account, I'm just stating facts, how you interpret them is up to you.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know enough about it to counter incorrect assertions made by people who don't know anything about it

Twice zero is still zero so suggest when you are proven wrong you man up and admit it, but still, guess that does not bring the clicks in does it ????

• Sad 1

Just now, Excel said:
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Your link reports $10k, not $16k.

Doesn't matter, you were still wrong as clearly you didn't understand that he had skipped bail as @bradiston proved to you.

Yes, and in my response to him I accepted that maybe I was wrong on that point!   By the way, I'm not taking anything away from him but he didn't prove anything, he quoted a Guardian (!) article.   Never has been the most reliable source!

10 minutes ago, Excel said:

Twice zero is still zero so suggest when you are proven wrong you man up and admit it, but still, guess that does not bring the clicks in does it ????

Can't you read?  Man-up if you can't...

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for that, I may stand corrected

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, jacko45k said:

Criminal convictions should be on a persons record so that it can be seen at immigration.... as far as I am concerned, they can be sent straight home. 

It will be on their record,in the country they were convicted /home country. Are you saying you want Thailand (any countries) to have unfettered access to a foreign country’s police database ?

10 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It will be on their record,in the country they were convicted /home country. Are you saying you want Thailand (any countries) to have unfettered access to a foreign country’s police database ?

No, simply when a persons passport is scanned information about criminal convictions (say in the last decade) are flagged. Whether it comes with the passport or limited access to criminal records is a technical issue. You added 'unfettered' why exactly?

Perhaps revoking or suspending passports at country of issue is an alternative.  

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No, simply when a persons passport is scanned information about criminal convictions (say in the last decade) are flagged. Whether it comes with the passport or limited access to criminal records is a technical issue. You added 'unfettered' why exactly?

Perhaps revoking or suspending passports at country of issue is an alternative.  

I think you’ll find that contravenes data protection laws -access to sensitive information,especially of foreign governments is rightly tightly controlled. Revoking of passports for petty offences ??

Lived in Brazil for a while, they're known for lack of extradition treaties.  Every other week, or so it seemed, an extradition story would make the news, like this one.  Definitely judged on a case-by-case basis, most of the time it came down to "we don't want you either."  So, if you have some rascality in mind don't count on it, anywhere. 

Even 20+ years ago I would see some pretty scary characters around Soi Buakhao.

5 hours ago, TTSIssues said:
On 8/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Which "made up scooter rules" are those?

If you go to Phuket you will find out. No matter what documents you have on you, they will often ask for something else that carries an on the spot fine. 

I was responding to your claim made on this forum, there's no need for me to got to Phuket to find out when, if it is true, you could just detail a couple of specific "made up scooter rules" that you have personally experienced.    I won't hold my breath.     

On 8/25/2022 at 10:51 PM, bendejo said:

Lived in Brazil for a while, they're known for lack of extradition treaties.  Every other week, or so it seemed, an extradition story would make the news, like this one.  Definitely judged on a case-by-case basis, most of the time it came down to "we don't want you either."  So, if you have some rascality in mind don't count on it, anywhere. 

On 8/25/2022 at 10:51 PM, bendejo said:

There's been scary characters both Thai and foreigners in Pattaya since the Vietnam war. It is part of the charm.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:25 AM, hotchilli said:

They don't want foreign criminals, they want quality tourists, said a spokesman.

Yes, they have enough of their own running the Thai government and police forces. Who needs the competition.