UK passport expires 16/10, visa needs to be renewed 01/10!?

Hi Guys

If you could please advise I would be very grateful as I’ve searched endlessly and cannot conclude the best or appropriate course of action here.

I’m based in Phuket and my 10 year UK passport will expire on the 16th October

I understand I need to book an appointment to come to the embassy office in Bangkok with my passport. 

I am just unsure about which documents are required from me and apparently I can submit online or bring with me? Please inform in anybody knows which documents I need to have.

Other issue is I am due to renew my visa before October 1st. I’m not sure how long the passport renewal process takes. Does anybody know? 

Should I renew my visa on October the 1st then renew the passport?

Or renew passport now but will I receive it before October 1st?

I also have an Irish passport but I entered Thailand with the UK passport.

Please help as I’ve looked online for many hours but couldn’t find clear information to progress matters!

Thanks all!!

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with the embassy, applications are received at VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.  Look here for all the information needed;

Overseas British passport applications – Apply for a passport – GOV.UK

It is highly unlikely you will get your new passport by October, currently they estimate 11 weeks.  You may need a trip to the UK to get sorted, or perhaps leave and re-enter on your Irish passport and do the same when the new British one shows up.

Edited by Upnotover
  • Like 1

Renew your visa first which keeps you legal here. You didn't say what visa you have but if retirement then you can renew up to 45 days ahead of expiry date.

Then submit your U.K. passport for renewal. As stated the embassy don't want anything to do with it and VFS are the assigned authorised agent and it looks like there is an office in Phuket.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/ita/attend-centre/phuket

• Like 1

Actually your visa may only be extended up to expiry date of your passport so get a move on. U.K. passport renewal is regularly quoted as 10-11 weeks.

I can't answer the question as to what happens if your visa expires and you haven't received your new passport.

Go chat with VFS and immigration then decide your get move.

Good luck.

• Like 1

My marriage extension is due for renewal on 25 November 2022 and probably around that date in 2023.

My passport expires 17 June 2024 and I will apply for a new passport probably in early January 2024.

I know from the experience that the visa extension is only valid until the expiry date of my passport.

This extension will be fine but the next extension will only run until 14 June 2024 and not until October 2024.

I will need to go to Immigration with my new passport to get extended until October and I should be good for another 9 years from then.

Your passport will be valid until its expiry date and if it is renewed early it will run until yor current expiry date + 10 years.

Edited by billd766
Tidied it up a bit

i think you have left it too late to renew your Uk passport in time to allow you to renew your yearly extension on that passport, 12 weeks turn around at a minimum

1/leave Thailand by air and re-entering on Irish passport, and start the yearly extension process again via a conversion to non imm 'O' etc, using that passport,

2/ you could apply for a replacement UK passport and then leave Thailand by air re-entering on Irish passport with a 30 day visa exempt entry (possibly 45 days if after 1st october) + a 30 day extension, which could give you an extra time for the passport to arrive, you could combine this with a few weeks stay in a surrounding country to you give you even more time, but once you have new passport then a fresh border run will be required to reuse UK passport and a new  non imm 'O' visa will be required

3/ return to UK for a in person passport application, before your extension in Thailand expires, ie obtain a re-entry permit which will allow you to re-enter Thailand before the 1st october , then renew extension in new passport. no need for a fresh non imm vis

4/ maybe find a solution i can not think of at this time

I think option 1 or 3 are the better choices, as 2 involves 2 border runs and a fresh non imm visa

good luck

6 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Renew your visa first which keeps you legal here. You didn't say what visa you have but if retirement then you can renew up to 45 days ahead of expiry date.

Then submit your U.K. passport for renewal. As stated the embassy don't want anything to do with it and VFS are the assigned authorised agent and it looks like there is an office in Phuket.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/ita/attend-centre/phuket

Apologies when I’ve mentioned the ‘embassy’ I meant VFS, although the link for Phuket looks like it’s for Italy only and won’t accommodate UK renewals but it does appear that the best option for me is to leave as suggested with the UK passport and return using Irish passport so I’m covered for my stay here whilst renewing my UK passport.

Actually your visa may only be extended up to expiry date of your passport so get a move on. U.K. passport renewal is regularly quoted as 10-11 weeks.

I can't answer the question as to what happens if your visa expires and you haven't received your new passport.

Go chat with VFS and immigration then decide your get move.

Good luck.

Thank you… I’ll go to immigration tomorrow in Phuket to get their advice. So a side question, because Thailand state if you enter with a UK pport you must leave with it which makes perfect sense but… If I intend to leave to go to a neighbouring country using UK pport but wish to then enter Thailand using Irish pport (to enable renewing UK pport) say if I went to Cambodia would they not also require that I leave with the same pport I entered with??

Leave here on U.K. passport and enter/exit the country of choice with either passport and then come back into Thailand on your Irish passport. 

You'll loose your visa but will stay legal here and be free to renew your U.K. passport without penalty.

Talk to VFS they will be able to advise how to renew your passport.

Good luck.

Leave here on U.K. passport and enter/exit the country of choice with either passport and then come back into Thailand on your Irish passport. 

You'll loose your visa but will stay legal here and be free to renew your U.K. passport without penalty.

Talk to VFS they will be able to advise how to renew your passport.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! Have a great day!

On 8/24/2022 at 7:17 PM, billd766 said:

My marriage extension is due for renewal on 25 November 2022 and probably around that date in 2023.

My passport expires 17 June 2024 and I will apply for a new passport probably in early January 2024.

I know from the experience that the visa extension is only valid until the expiry date of my passport.

This extension will be fine but the next extension will only run until 14 June 2024 and not until October 2024.

I will need to go to Immigration with my new passport to get extended until October and I should be good for another 9 years from then.

Your passport will be valid until its expiry date and if it is renewed early it will run until yor current expiry date + 10 years.

You will not get an extension from June to your current October date (though you also mentioned November 25th so October is not relevant)

If your passport is expiring the extension of stay is to the expiration date. When you have a new passport you apply for a 1 year extension. So your new renewal date will be 14th June.

You may well decide that renewal of your passport early is better so you keep your current renewal date and get the full extension period.

Immigration has on occasions issued shorter than 1 year extensions by request, however this is unusual so I would not count on them doing it without a very good reason.

• Confused 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:43 AM, truthfix said:

Thank you… I’ll go to immigration tomorrow in Phuket to get their advice. So a side question, because Thailand state if you enter with a UK pport you must leave with it which makes perfect sense but… If I intend to leave to go to a neighbouring country using UK pport but wish to then enter Thailand using Irish pport (to enable renewing UK pport) say if I went to Cambodia would they not also require that I leave with the same pport I entered with??

You can change passports in the air but not on land, so as long as you fly you have no problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You will not get an extension from June to your current October date (though you also mentioned November 25th so October is not relevant)

If your passport is expiring the extension of stay is to the expiration date. When you have a new passport you apply for a 1 year extension. So your new renewal date will be 14th June.

You may well decide that renewal of your passport early is better so you keep your current renewal date and get the full extension period.

Immigration has on occasions issued shorter than 1 year extensions by request, however this is unusual so I would not count on them doing it without a very good reason.

What I will do is talk to the IO and get her opinion as she certainly knows her stuff and always gives me up to date information every time I visit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, steve187 said:

i think you have left it too late to renew your Uk passport in time to allow you to renew your yearly extension on that passport, 12 weeks turn around at a minimum

1/leave Thailand by air and re-entering on Irish passport, and start the yearly extension process again via a conversion to non imm 'O' etc, using that passport,

2/ you could apply for a replacement UK passport and then leave Thailand by air re-entering on Irish passport with a 30 day visa exempt entry (possibly 45 days if after 1st october) + a 30 day extension, which could give you an extra time for the passport to arrive, you could combine this with a few weeks stay in a surrounding country to you give you even more time, but once you have new passport then a fresh border run will be required to reuse UK passport and a new  non imm 'O' visa will be required

3/ return to UK for a in person passport application, before your extension in Thailand expires, ie obtain a re-entry permit which will allow you to re-enter Thailand before the 1st october , then renew extension in new passport. no need for a fresh non imm vis

4/ maybe find a solution i can not think of at this time

I think option 1 or 3 are the better choices, as 2 involves 2 border runs and a fresh non imm visa

good luck

Hi

Quick question as I’m looking to exit on 27th, visa expires 29th. Can rtn say 2nd Oct to get 45 days visa on arrival. I went to Phuket’s immigration & was informed I can further extend for another 45 days with them… Does that sound right (as we’re familiar with the save face aspect) or would I be looking at a border run or I suppose I could fly out and back in again no?

Or will it be a 30 day extension?

Reason I ask is the 90 days will benefit me getting the UK passport renewed (roughly 12 weeks ish I’m told).

Can the visa on arrival, moving forward be changed to an education visa or alternatives?

4 hours ago, truthfix said:

Hi

Quick question as I’m looking to exit on 27th, visa expires 29th. Can rtn say 2nd Oct to get 45 days visa on arrival. I went to Phuket’s immigration & was informed I can further extend for another 45 days with them… Does that sound right (as we’re familiar with the save face aspect) or would I be looking at a border run or I suppose I could fly out and back in again no?

Reason I ask is the 90 days will benefit me getting the UK passport renewed (roughly 12 weeks ish I’m told).

Can the visa on arrival, moving forward be changed to an education visa or alternatives?

I don't think extensions have changed still 30 days, only visa exempt has changed to 45 days after the 1st Oct

as to ed visa's etc, lots of things done by agents, so maybe they can sort one out, but it will cost, almost as much as a flight to UK

18 hours ago, truthfix said:

Hi

Very few countries get a visa on arrival, you don’t. You can arrive visa exempt, after October 1st you will get 45 days. This can be extended by 30 days. To get longer than 75 days  you will need a border bounce either by land or air. 

You can only get a Non-O in Thailand from a visa exempt entry  if you are over 50 or have a Thai wife. All other visas require you to go to an embassy or consulate.

• Thumbs Up 1