Vehicle inspection and after market wheels.

Yesterday took my triton for the vehicle inspection for the tax sticker.

Guy at the first shop looked at the wheels and said cannot. Went to a second shop the guy also started to make some noise about my wheels, I shrugged and said what do you want me to do, he did the inspection and gave the ok anyway.

So my wheels are after market. tyres are a little higher and wider than standard but really not much. Pretty normal upgrade. I would say you see similar wheels and tyres on pickups everywhere.

So is this a new government rule ? Anyone else have issues?

This is maybe the second or third inspection since I upgraded the wheels, first time I had issues.

22 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It is illegal to have Tyres and Wheels protruding past the edge of the Wheel Arches.

Deemed to be dangerous.

Anything else illegal and 'deemed to be dangerous' we all need to know about?   555

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

There has been a trend over the past couple of years where vehicle inspection stations are actually doing what they're supposed to do with regard to roadworthiness and legality.

Took my Vigo for test last Monday. Headlights, exhaust, VIN number, brakes (at 15 kph) was all which was tested.

NOTHING for winkers, wipers, washers, tyres, etc. They still charged me Bht 200.   555 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

To the OP. There has been a trend over the past couple of years where vehicle inspection stations are actually doing what they're supposed to do with regard to roadworthiness and legality. A lot of owners with after-market stuff such as extra lights, especially LED type are also being bailed up. Truck owners who have added a Carryboy top, replaced the front air dam with a bull-bar or done a custom paint job are being dispatched to get their blue books updated. I am not surprised that illegal tires and rims are being pointed out but for now, there's still the option to try another test station.

Or another set of wheels and tyres for 1500.

Or as a neighbor does borrow for the inspection. 

Edited by Kwasaki

A few months ago I got a letter in the post that I qualified for new license plates, because the paint fainted.

So I brought in my plates, was told that it would take a few weeks to get the new ones, and was provided with a document to show police if I was stopped.

In that time I had to renew my yearly tax, so I went to the check station opposite the Pattaya DLT, and showed the a*sehole the document why I didn't have license plates.

The a*sehole refused the legitimacy of the document, so I gave him the middle finger and went into the DLT to tell them he refused to check my car.

They directed me to their own check station within the DLT.

So I queued, and when it was my turn, before I had entered the check station, they took my documents, and told me to pick up the test result at window number X.

So I parked my car, without having been even inside the check station or have anyone looked under the hood, picked up the documents that I had passed the tests, and got insurance and new tax disk.

There was no fee for the checkup, which at the opposite site of the road, would have been 200 baht

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Took my Vigo for test last Monday. Headlights, exhaust, VIN number, brakes (at 15 kph) was all which was tested.

NOTHING for winkers, wipers, washers, tyres, etc. They still charged me Bht 200.   555 

If you want all that other stuff tested, there's absolutely nothing stopping you taking your Vigo to a DIFFERENT test station.

Just another example of life's variables here like immigration, amphurs, etc., etc..

• Like 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

If you want all that other stuff tested, there's absolutely nothing stopping you taking your Vigo to a DIFFERENT test station.

Just another example of life's variables here like immigration, amphurs, etc., etc..

I do not want/need all that tested as I know that my vehicle is road-worthy.

I am simply saying that the 'MOT' test is a load of bo44ox, which is why there are so many dangerous vehicles on the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am simply saying that the 'MOT' test is a load of bo44ox, which is why there are so many dangerous vehicles on the road.

And if you calm down, you will see I was not disagreeing with you. The inspection and testing regime has been lucky dip for years. I was simply mentioning that the OP's experience of being challenged at a test station is something that has been noted by others.

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Maybe your car is, but considering the vast number of cars I see that are not roadworthy, proper independent tests would make sense. I'm sure all of those other drivers would say that their vehicle is roadworthy too.

The problem with these testing stations here in Thailand is that there are no consequences if they issue a certificate for a car that's not road worthy.

Unless the DLT would test these places, and if they wrongfully issue a certificate, revoke their business license, this won't change.

Regarding OP, if this would have been in for example Germany, the first testing station would have immobilized his car, and he wouldn't be allowed to drive it until he changed the tires back to legal ones.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

A chrome covered fuel cap plate reflecting the sun at other road users. ????

Not to mention all the shi*e dangling from the interior mirror blocking vision and/or potentially distracting the driver. Well distracting them from looking at their phones whilst driving  possibly. Any of that <deleted>, together with illegal wheels should automatically get a refusal from the testing station. Bring it back when it is safe and legal.

1 hour ago, Kevin Taylor said:

It's not much but the wheels do protrude beyond the wheel arches. Maybe less than a centimeter.

I wonder if having wider wheel arch trim satisfies the rules if the trim covers the wheels?

Another upgrade you see quite a lot.

That's what I will do with my truck extend the wheel arch if I have to, trucks look stupid with skinny wheels. 

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Maybe your car is, but considering the vast number of cars I see that are not roadworthy, proper independent tests would make sense. I'm sure all of those other drivers would say that their vehicle is roadworthy too.

The problem with these testing stations here in Thailand is that there are no consequences if they issue a certificate for a car that's not road worthy.

Unless the DLT would test these places, and if they wrongfully issue a certificate, revoke their business license, this won't change.

Regarding OP, if this would have been in for example Germany, the first testing station would have immobilized his car, and he wouldn't be allowed to drive it until he changed the tires back to legal ones.

I like what they do in Thailand one good reason to get to live here in Thailand to get away from all that Europeans opinion money making machine health and safety rubbish. 

If you don't like it you know what to do leave it alone or go somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I like what they do in Thailand one good reason to get to live here in Thailand to get away from all that Europeans opinion money making machine health and safety rubbish. 

Exactly and what is wrong with the fact that their lunatic driving and stupid and dangerous vehicle mods ensures that their death rate is the second highest in the world ?  

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Exactly and what is wrong with the fact that their lunatic driving and stupid and dangerous vehicle mods ensures that their death rate is the second highest in the world ?  

Not all Vehicle mods make a vehicle dangerous don't post nonsense. 

If your scared to drive on Thai roads then don't your a danger to yourself. 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Not all Vehicle mods make a vehicle dangerous don't post nonsense. 

If your scared to drive on Thai roads then don't your a danger to yourself. 

Where did I say "All vehicle mods" Read what I write, not what your crazy prejudices think I wrote. Now away with you and slid all over the road in the wet with those stupid wide tyres, no doubt at totally the wrong inflation pressures along with your crazy mates. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If you don't like it you know what to do leave it alone or go somewhere else. 

What!! So it's not a money making machine here? LOL,
At least with proper H&S rules that are adhered to you at least have peace of mind that your vehicle is safe.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Or another set of wheels and tyres for 1500.

Or as a neighbor does borrow for the inspection. 

When I read this I was reminded of Saudi Arabia. Around the corner from the testing stations, called M.V.P.I. Motor Vehicle Periodic Inspection, There are dozens of small garages. The Saudis drive their cars there, have new tyres, wiper blades, lights, etc, etc fitted. They take the car through the test, then return to the garage, refit all the old rubbish, pay a small rental charge, and drive off. 

My car failed once because the lacquer on the bonnet had faded with the sun and so the paint was no longer shiny !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1