Why do people want a condo for their 2 week holiday ???

Peterw42

Its always been an option but lately it appears everyone must have a residential condo for their 2 week stay. And I am trying to understand why.

Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket all have 1,000s of great cheap hotels, purpose built for holidays. They have all the facilities, the staff, the amenities.

Yet, people want to stay in a residential condo block, where nobody daily cleans your room, nobody does fresh linen and towels, you often have to pay the utilities on top, you are disturbing the actual residents, there is usually no reception or office (thats for the owners), the owner wont be doing immigration reports, and its basically illegal.

It appears to be an epidemic nowadays on tourist and newbie forums , its all they talk about. 

I dont get it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Really? 10 people huh? 50 people?

Millions of tourists, you think cause 50 people talk about condos everyone does it?

Dont get a job as a statistician

Not saying its all or most tourists, but I see it mentioned often enough in facebook groups, forums etc. "has anyone stayed at ABC condo, whats the best condo in a certain area", "looking for a condo for 2 weeks" etc. Enough to be a concern and question why its has become a trend.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's a "concern"?

It is if you are a new tourist and heading straight for a residential condo, not realizing it wont have the same facilities as a purpose built and run hotel. Or if you are living in a condo and its a different set of neighbors every 2 weeks, on their once a year party holiday.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess some people simply prefer condo apartments to hotels because they are usually roomier and better equipped. IME the WiFi is usually better, because it is a single account. The WiFi in hotels can sometimes be abysmal if it has too many users. I can't cook food in a hotel room.

Most condo rooms start at 35 sqm and up, some hotel rooms get down to 10 or 15 sqm.

I used to rent a condo for two weeks in Chiang Mai, since when has illegality bothered anyone in Thailand? 5000 baht for two weeks, water and power included. Cheaper than a equivalent standard hotel, and the owner was very happy to get the extra money.

some people I know from blackpool always came for 2 weeks in march, they rented a condo.....came every year for 6 or 7 years......and liked the condo living very much !!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not saying its all or most tourists, but I see it mentioned often enough in facebook groups, forums etc. "has anyone stayed at ABC condo, whats the best condo in a certain area", "looking for a condo for 2 weeks" etc. Enough to be a concern and question why its has become a trend.

You said "everyone" which means 100% lol

More like 1 or 2% if that

Im staying in 500,600 baht hotels.

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Not allowed in my condo.
Short term rentals forbidden and now, you can only enter the building with face recognition.

Sure, my building too. One month minimum, no using the face recognition without a contract. Those are the rules. So why did I keep Arabs and Chinese and Westerners who only seem to stay a few days and then disappear?

• Haha 1

Have been booking apartments and villas for the past few years if we are in a group. Although i never book the large apartment complexes as these offer nothing extra as stated in the OP.

I just prefer the extra room and versatility you get, plus there have been some great deals on private pool villas the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

Sure, my building too. One month minimum, no using the face recognition without a contract. Those are the rules. So why did I keep Arabs and Chinese and Westerners who only seem to stay a few days and then disappear?

Pay 1 month

U can leave after 1 day

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Some people don't eat Thai food and like to do their own cooking.

Actually suspect more of they expect to pay eating out costs as charged in the West and have no idea how cheap it can be here.

• Like 1