Fortuner's steering

Sergach

Anyone find that Fortuner's steering is way too hard? I'm renting a 2.4L 4x4 with only 4000km and the steering is much heavier than on any other car I've driven before. I'm considering buying a new 2.8L 4x4 but this steering issue might be a deal breaker for me. Wondering if this is how it is with Fortuners or it's just the one I'm renting that has a problem. Thanks.

Edited by Sergach
  • Haha 1

From my personal experience, Fortuners tend to steer exactly where their self-entitled phone-using Somchai drivers decide.. And this is usually at high speed and without indication. I avoid them like the plague!

No offence to the OP, who's probably one of the nicer Fortuner pilots! ????????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

perhaps LOW on fluid......get the rental people to check......or go yourself to toyota......

Checked at Toyota dealer. Everything is normal. I guess it’s just how Fortuners are, poor handling overall. Everest and Pajero are much better in that regard.

41 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you are buying a new one get a test drive first and see what the steering is like,

I’m in Samui. There’s isn’t a single Fortuner here available for test drive. Bangkok is probably the only option.

5 hours ago, Sergach said:

Checked at Toyota dealer. Everything is normal. I guess it’s just how Fortuners are, poor handling overall. Everest and Pajero are much better in that regard.

If you are looking for good handling then a Fortuner is not for you. The current model is based on the HiLux.  High centre of gravity, high roll centre and relatively crude suspension.  An all-new Fortuner is about to launch on a completely different platform and promises to be a far better proposition.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2long said:

From my personal experience, Fortuners tend to steer exactly where their self-entitled phone-using Somchai drivers decide.. And this is usually at high speed and without indication. I avoid them like the plague!

I think this is offensive to Fortuner drivers nationwide...   I did see one indicate once :giggle:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

Nothing wrong with the Tuna steering. It can be heavy if in 4X4 on dry roads. But it shouldn't be used on dry roads in 4X4. In 2 wheel drive it's as light as a feather. A 1 finger job. Check the pressure should be 29psi all round. Failing that there's something wrong with it. Maybe power steering? 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think this is offensive to Fortuner drivers nationwide...   I did see one indicate once :giggle:

That maybe so but did he turn in the direction of the indicator or completely opposite ?