Proud Boy who came within seconds of Sen. Schumer on January 6 sentenced to 55 months in prison

Scott

image.png

CNN)Joshua Pruitt, the Proud Boy who nearly came face-to-face with then-Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer during the attack of the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, was sentenced to four years and seven months behind bars for his role in obstructing the certification of the electoral college vote that day.

"You were at the forefront of that mob," Judge Timothy Kelly said before handing down his sentence Monday, adding that Pruitt and the mob's actions that day "snapped our previously unbroken tradition of the peaceful transition of power."

Pruitt, who pleaded guilty in early June to obstructing an official proceeding, was part of a Proud Boys group message where members discussed plans to march to the Capitol and use violence on January 6, according to prosecutors.
CNN.jpg

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Seems rather harsh for a non violent offense. He did not attack any police, nor did he threaten anyone, nor did he say/do anything to Senator Schumer.  

Not only did he plead guilty to a serious charge of obstructing senate proceedings but he caused Senator Schumer and others to reasonably fear for their lives, not just their safety. Schumer has access to intelligence and good reason to fear the mob.

As an afterthought, his serious intention is bolstered by the 1776 tattoo on his knuckles. Maybe on his heart might have been a better pick?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good.

One thing I still wonder about though.

Why didn't they at least try to initially incarcerate ALL of the insurrectionist invaders as they left the building.

They were ALL guilty of at least trespass and they would have speeded up the investments and gotten more of the criminals that way.

Dollars to doughnuts if the mob had been black people there would have been a massacre of black people.

Too soft on the white nationalist domestic terrorists.

I wonder why they used a pistol to kill the first person who broke in instead of a machine gun which would have ended the riot then and there. The answer is in a lack of preparedness and planning. There was little to no coordination between the various security agencies and leadership was non existent.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I wonder why they used a pistol to kill the first person who broke in instead of a machine gun which would have ended the riot then and there. The answer is in a lack of preparedness and planning. There was little to no coordination between the various security agencies and leadership was non existent.

Arresting them all on the spot would at least been a way to get all their IDs instead of taking years and no doubt megabucks to otherwise identify them.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Not only did he plead guilty to a serious charge of obstructing senate proceedings but he caused Senator Schumer and others to reasonably fear for their lives, not just their safety. Schumer has access to intelligence and good reason to fear the mob.

As an afterthought, his serious intention is bolstered by the 1776 tattoo on his knuckles. Maybe on his heart might have been a better pick?

There was no evidence presented that he threatened the Senator, or even spoke to him. Not sure what relevance his tattoos show, perhaps just that he is a patriot. 

I have no trouble with him being charged and convicted but the sentence is quite high for a non violent crime. Higher even than some previous convictions of people who actually assaulted police officers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

There was no evidence presented that he threatened the Senator, or even spoke to him. Not sure what relevance his tattoos show, perhaps just that he is a patriot. 

I have no trouble with him being charged and convicted but the sentence is quite high for a non violent crime. Higher even than some previous convictions of people who actually assaulted police officers. 

Perhaps those other sentences where too lenient.

I’m looking forward to the sentencing of other law breakers who took part in, organized, funded or incited the J6 terrorist attack.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Schumer was not oblivious of the shouting nor what was being yelled. The guy was within feet of him and caused him to fear for his safety. it is not necessary to verbally abuse someone to be guilty of assault. One only has to put someone in a situation where they reasonably fear for their safety. That bar was passed.

As for the sentence, there is a deterrent element in play I suspect. The judge obviously felt that forcible entry into the capitol building during an official proceeding and threatening elected officials was fairly egregious.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Why?

Because laughing at hypocritical liars is always great fun.

But like I said, point taken. I will be more careful with my speech here in the future. There are gay people here who I respect and I don't want to offend them.

If I were a righty, I'd be wailing about being cancelled. Instead, I think you're a bit of a killjoy drip, but also in the right.

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Seems rather harsh for a non violent offense. He did not attack any police, nor did he threaten anyone, nor did he say/do anything to Senator Schumer.  

Give this nincompoop a few a more years for believing Trump.

LOL Seriously, if he had a brain, he'd take it out and play with it.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Schumer was not oblivious of the shouting nor what was being yelled. The guy was within feet of him and caused him to fear for his safety. it is not necessary to verbally abuse someone to be guilty of assault. One only has to put someone in a situation where they reasonably fear for their safety. That bar was passed.

As for the sentence, there is a deterrent element in play I suspect. The judge obviously felt that forcible entry into the capitol building during an official proceeding and threatening elected officials was fairly egregious.

...but others who both trespassed AND attacked the police got lesser sentences.    Plus AFAIK no evidence that he forced his way into the building. He followed others, didn't assault anyone, never spoke a word to the Senator or his security, was never charged with assault, spent less than 40 minutes in the Capitol.  That is more than a month of prison per minute of trespassing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

...but others who both trespassed AND attacked the police got lesser sentences.    Plus AFAIK no evidence that he forced his way into the building. He followed others, didn't assault anyone, never spoke a word to the Senator or his security, was never charged with assault, spent less than 40 minutes in the Capitol.  That is more than a month of prison per minute of trespassing. 

At least one got shot dead.

And that was by no means unjust.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Pruitt pleaded guilty in June to obstructing an official proceeding, and federal sentencing guidelines suggested 51 to 63 months in prison, in part because he has a lengthy criminal history, including assaulting police, cocaine possession and drunken driving convictions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/08/29/dc-proud-boy-pruitt-schumer-sentenced/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wp_politics

• Like 2