Thailand 300 baht entry fee for tourists set to start in early 2023

webfact

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you get a service from the UK for your donation or is it a tax Sandy. Here the 300 thb gives a TOURIST insurance coverage but expats and workers who have Insurance get nothing out of the scheme.

The APD(Air Passenger Duty) is a tax and you get nothing for it.

Your comment is a bit petty, the number of foreigners with insurance is quite small in the bigger picture, and the number that travel regularly even smaller still.

You cannot expect the tail to wag the dog and international travel has never been compulsary.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This 300 Baht is not a tax, it is a specific amount for Tourist Insurance, why is everyone so blind.  If it was just raising taxes on entry then I would be the last to go out on a limb, but it is for a service, a service some of us who would pay it are ineligible for.

Payments for "services" that are mandatory are taxes.

If that's not clear enough for you : What if i bring you a chicken daily and you MUST pay even if you don't want chicken.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Payments for "services" that are mandatory are taxes.

If that's not clear enough for you : What if i bring you a chicken daily and you MUST pay even if you don't want chicken.

So when I buy my health insurance policy from PCH for having an OA visa extension of stay it's a tax and not a payment for a service being given....hmmmm...try again.  If it is then I have a lawsuit which needs to be filed for unlawful taxation.

Edited by ThailandRyan

43 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The APD(Air Passenger Duty) is a tax and you get nothing for it.

Your comment is a bit petty, the number of foreigners with insurance is quite small in the bigger picture, and the number that travel regularly even smaller still.

You cannot expect the tail to wag the dog and international travel has never been compulsary.

It's not petty, it's the principle of the facts being that all foreigners regardless must pay.

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So when I buy my health insurance policy from PCH for having an OA visa extension of stay it's a tax and not a payment for a service being given....hmmmm...try again.  If it is then I have a lawsuit which needs to be filed for unlawful taxation.

Anything mandatory is a tax or a social security payment. You reason too much from your own picture of the world, what if you are already insured like many from Europe. 

5 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

Anything mandatory is a tax or a social security payment. You reason too much from your own picture of the world, what if you are already insured like many from Europe. 

I insure from the US as well, so your point is moot. I am double insured, no out of picket costs at all.

This scheme is for tourist insurance they want to make eryone pay for, I get that, it's the fact that most on here are not tourists and it will not cover us, so we will be throwing money into someone else's pockets. It is the principle of it that you just don't get...

It is not a tax.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, Nickelbeer said:

A “non-problem” unless you are incredibly cheap. 300 baht is not going to bankrupt me.

Agreed....  but while Thailand makes the announcements that it is struggling for tourists the Optics of such policies are pretty hideous as it tells ‘potential tourists’ we don’t value you, just your money. 

At least they are honest - but ‘demanding money’ rather than ‘earning’ money is part of this which is has a whiffy stench of greed... 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....  but while Thailand makes the announcements that it is struggling for tourists the Optics of such policies are pretty hideous as it tells ‘potential tourists’ we don’t value you, just your money. 

At least they are honest - but ‘demanding money’ rather than ‘earning’ money is part of this which is has a whiffy stench of greed... 

They don’t care what I think or what YOU think or what ANYBODY thinks. They see themselves as the only option, which is not quite true. Trying to apply logic to Thai law or statutes is an exercise in futility. It’s the same principle as the Thai propensity to raise prices when revenue is low.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I insure from the US as well, so your point is moot. I am double insured, no out of picket costs at all.

This scheme is for tourist insurance they want to make eryone pay for, I get that, it's the fact that most on here are not tourists and it will not cover us, so we will be throwing money into someone else's pockets. It is the principle of it that you just don't get...

It is not a tax.

Apparently everything is say is moot, or i don't understand it. That's just fine for you. Sadly reality doesn't work like that : Mandatory payments for stuff you don't need, is a tax. Or if you really want to nickpick : a social security payment for an insurance you are not interested in.

But i can clearly see that any argumentation with you is impossible as you label any other opinion than that of yourself as moot. 

Enjoy your little bubble.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Apparently everything is say is moot, or i don't understand it. That's just fine for you. Sadly reality doesn't work like that : Mandatory payments for stuff you don't need, is a tax. Or if you really want to nickpick : a social security payment for an insurance you are not interested in.

But i can clearly see that any argumentation with you is impossible as you label any other opinion than that of yourself as moot. 

Enjoy your little bubble.

So your payment to the hospital for your medical treatment you just received is a tax and not a payment for a service,  hmmm you live in a bubble.  I guess any payments you make for services such as gas, propane etc...are taxes because you must have them in order to get around, or if on foot the payments to the MRT, BTS, and Taxi's are a tax, or the entry fee into a National Park or other location is a tax....hmmm you must get taxed to death.

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So your payment to the hospital for your medical treatment you just received is a tax and not a payment for a service,  hmmm you live in a bubble.  I guess any payments you make for services such as gas, propane etc...are taxes because you must have them in order to get around, or if on foot the payments to the MRT, BTS, and Taxi's are a tax, or the entry fee into a National Park or other location is a tax....hmmm you must get taxed to death.

Last try from my side : it's not a service you used and have to pay for.

It's a mandatory forced insurance many people don't need, yet you MUST pay it and you will never use it. Understand ? If not, sorry you are beyond help.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Last try from my side : it's not a service you used and have to pay for.

It's a mandatory forced insurance many people don't need, yet you MUST pay it and you will never use it. Understand ? If not, sorry you are beyond help.

Agree to disagree, now go take your heartburn medication because I certainly have you wound tight...

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Agree to disagree, now go take your heartburn medication because I certainly have you wound tight...

You just have to have another go right, if it makes you happy it's fine. Fun to see that this forum really is full of tw*ts. I don't exclude myself however

Edited by WhatsNext
Retry the twet
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Time will tell...  

Will tourists no longer face hospital bills when injured here because of this insurance ????

Is this the end of ‘go fund me’ campaigns from Thailand ?

I’d hope so, but I’m skeptical. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 9:25 AM, ThailandRyan said:

It may come as a surprise to you but services provided by a private company can hardly be equated to services provided by this or any other government.

Good luck with your lawsuit.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It may come as a surprise to you but services provided by a private company can hardly be equated to services provided by this or any other government.

Good luck with your lawsuit.

As always you can not read a truly sarcastic post and understand its sarcasm, no wonder your going back into the ignore zone.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:33 PM, Burma Bill said:

I wonder how long it will be before one has to pay 300 baht to LEAVE Thailand as I had to in years gone by.

Correct!  A few years ago we had to pay 500 baht to exit the country.  It was always a problem for tourists that weren't expecting this last minute cash only charge.  Then they would have to leave the check in and go get 500 baht from one of the banks at the airport for each member they are traveling with.  

• Thanks 1