A few questions about Thai

Baron Samedi

2 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I'd say that's inaccurate.

For what I've learned, Thai do have tenses.

Pom gin = I eat

Pom ja gin = I will eat

Pom kamlang gin = I'm eating

Pom kamlang ja gin = I'm going to eat

Past is a bit trickier. I don't really get it. As far as I know they put leeow at the end of the sentence or they use dai before the verb.

Anyway, Thai syntax is some next level prehistoric shenanigan. So bad it's hard for me to comprehend how they can actually understand each other ????

(just kidding)

No, Thai doesn't have tenses.

I tried to explain that. 

What you write is Thai, forced into the corset of Latin grammar.

Ja and kamlang are useful to make things clear,  but they are not necessary. 

In English you MUST say "Yesterday i WENT out with friends", otherwise its incorrect.  In Thai this is not necessary. Meuawan pai tiao kap peuan is fine. 

Dai and laew are often interpreted as past tense by English speakers. But they're not, see this example. 

BTW try to leave away pronouns as often as possible (it's very often possible). If you coughing and sneezing and say "mai sabai", you don't have to say it's you who is sick.  And if you ask your girlfriend "mai sabai mai?" it is understood you ask about her.

Never use "pom" with your girlfriend, anyway, that's rude (pom expresses distance)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

No, Thai doesn't have tenses.

I tried to explain that. 

What you write is Thai, forced into the corset of Latin grammar.

Ja and kamlang are useful to make things clear,  but they are not necessary. 

In English you MUST say "Yesterday i WENT out with friends", otherwise its incorrect.  In Thai this is not necessary. Meuawan pai tiao kap peuan is fine. 

Dai and laew are often interpreted as past tense by English speakers. But they're not, see this example. 

BTW try to leave away pronouns as often as possible (it's very often possible). If you coughing and sneezing and say "mai sabai", you don't have to say it's you who is sick.  And if you ask your girlfriend "mai sabai mai?" it is understood you ask about her.

Never use "pom" with your girlfriend, anyway, that's rude (pom expresses distance)

Oh ok. Got it. Man it's really different from what I'm used to ????

In a way, it's easier the thai way.

It's gonna take a couple of months but I will eventually get use to it.

Thx !