Recent experiences with U.S. - Thailand air travel, carriers, stopovers?

The wife and I may be planning a trip back to the U.S. toward the end of the year -- first time outside of Thailand since COVID began nearly 3 years ago.... And looking for any recommendations / experiences from anyone who's gone TH - U.S. lately, under the new, relaxed COVID rules.

I used to always default to EVA Air with their Taipei layover followed by one of their West Coast destinations. But they were out of U.S. travel from Thailand for a long time, not allowing international transit via Taipei because of COVID. So it's been a long time since I took them, their prices I checked lately seemed quite high, and I have no idea what the current lay of the land for travel to the U.S. is with the various carriers.

Any recent experiences / recommendations for a reasonably pleasant, affordable journey?

PS - I should have mentioned above, I'm a TALL guy who needs seat legroom, but don't fancy shelling out for business class... So I typically look for airlines where I can somehow get the emergency exit row seating in economy.

I just made the trip to the states in July.   I flew JAL with no problems.  Layover in Tokyo 4 hours.  Mask required during flight and layover, but mask disappeared after landing in Dallas..  No masks on flights within US.  Cost was 500. More than pre Covid. 

Same Like you lock down 2 plus years I recently booked a trip and came back. Eva has always been my carrier but they were doing lots of flip flop cancellations.

In May, although Thailand pass was still in effect I decided to shop around and take a chance and hope by the time I return it was over I got lucky. 

I ended using Philippines Airline price with seat was less than 28,000 baht round to SFO,  drawback was a 8 HR layover in Manilla,  I had just missed buying last seat with 3 hours layover. 

In the end, the flight was OK,  but never if possible will I use them the unreasonable security check for passengers going to U. S.  Then their transit area is a total mess! 

My cousins just came from West Coast and use Eva,  price not as high as it was but don't expect 26,000 baht like pre-covid.  There is no longer a PCR test required of transit in Taipei nothing required out of BKK except vaccination papers same when leaving 

U. S. 

Singapore's rices are high also not sure Cathay to SFO,  but does go to L. A. 

Go luck! 

I check Expedia,  by early seem to be best today,  Nippon,  had something similar to Eva,  Japan,  United. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As noted,  prices will drop normally after Sept 11th,  but not sure with things being what it is today in the world. 

This is normally what happens with Eva until closer to holidays but they seem to have set their prices from BKK - SFO/LAX around 41,500. 

As I noted, check Expedia EVA does provide seats for them to sell you might get lucky and find something cheaper than buying direct from them. 

I had a recommendation from a friend here in Pattaya travel agent speaks good English who helped with my last booking thought she did a great as t job. 

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

In the end, the flight was OK,  but never if possible will I use them the unreasonable security check for passengers going to U. S.  Then their transit area is a total mess! 

Thanks very much for those details. Can you elaborate on the security check and transit issues you mention above with Philippine Airlines?

When I price shopped lately for year-end flights to L.A. or S.F., PA had some of the best available prices for the route. But I've never flown PA before and never transited thru Manila.

Though the past reports I've seen of Manila transit and PA international flights themselves haven't overall been very encouraging.... And thus made me feel a bit reluctant to give them a try....despite the price.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

As I noted, check Expedia EVA does provide seats for them to sell you might get lucky and find something cheaper than buying direct from them. 

I'd be happy to go EVA again if I could find economy flights in December under the $1000 per person rate... Last time I checked online, EVA's year end fares showing right now were running above that rate.

Transiting at Taipei Airport with EVA has always been a very easy and relaxing experience, with lots of no-fee places to relax, get some food, use wifi, etc etc... And their ground staff there has always been very helpful and usually proficient in English.

Also, their standard layover times at Taipei on flights to the West Coast seemed pre-COVID to almost always have been 4-6 hours -- which for my tastes was just about right!

4 hours ago, arick said:

Jal but expensive price go down after September 27

As I mentioned belatedly above, given that I'm quite tall, I've always had problems in the past with legroom and seat width when I've flown internationally on JAL or ANA in economy.... But my last round with them was many many years ago now....

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Singapore's rices are high also not sure Cathay to SFO,  but does go to L. A. 

I've always wanted to give Cathay a try in the past... But every time I checked for a booking, it seemed that their prices to the West Coast were either VERY high... OR.... the more reasonable fares for some reason had LONG layover times like double digits of hours....

These days, with mainland China's increasing control over and intrusion into security issues in Hong Kong, as an American, I'm feeling a bit hesitant to want to voluntarily land myself into their clutches.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As I mentioned belatedly above, given that I'm quite tall, I've always had problems in the past with legroom and seat width when I've flown internationally on JAL or ANA in economy.... But my last round with them was many many years ago now....

JAPAN Airline has the largest leg room in the business nut if your 6'8 I suggest to get a boat 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks very much for those details. Can you elaborate on the security check and transit issues you mention above with Philippine Airlines?

When I price shopped lately for year-end flights to L.A. or S.F., PA had some of the best available prices for the route. But I've never flown PA before and never transited thru Manila.

Though the past reports I've seen of Manila transit and PA international flights themselves haven't overall been very encouraging.... And thus made me feel a bit reluctant to give them a try....despite the price.

JAL & Eva are my go to airlines for transpac flights.

I had trouble getting quotes from Expedia, Kayak. I wish I knew more sites to use. When in doubt I go to the airlines site and check/buy there. Between the gas price rise and China’s Pelosi War Games its been a strange couple months for prices.

My deal breaker has always been layover time for the connecting flights, and the number of connecting flights. Asiana and Korean air, are notorious for this. Great airlines, but I always get quotes with 6 to 12 hours stopover at Inchon & Seoul. I will not do that. I have never had a layover of more than 4 hours at Taipei. Note Delta (United?) quotes on Expedia are for Korean airlines out of Asia. I liked the PA price quoted above, but 8 hours at Manila airport?! Not for me.

The only 'real' information I have is over a  month old. This posted on a local facebook group. Information was from a Eva LA to Bangkok flight. Passengers were deplaned and confined to a departure lounge, not allowed to go to the man hall, the duty free, the food places on that upper level. This because of Taiwan’s Covid policies. No idea if this is still in effect, or what they’re doing now. 

I just bought a ticket from Eva’s website. A little under a 1000 US for Sept to Oct, BKK - SeaTac RT. My stopover times were short, both had only 1 stop; Taipei. Quite a few quotes from Eva & others had 2 stops. Look carefully at how many stops & how long. Yes those tickets are cheaper. If I have to stay in the Departure lounge area, I do not have problem with that, as my layover time is not long. Again this is mid September returning mid October.

Last note, ignore the trip advisor comments regarding Eva. The “Sina Weibo” crowd, trolling for the celestial motherland, puts up a lot of unverifiable bilge. Nothing that stopped me from buying a ticket.

I recently bought BKK-SFO on EVA with a 2 1/2 layover in Taipei. Cost was $900. which included seat selection. I'm traveling with a minor and couldn't get the exit seats for us both. Age limit is 15. But, the cost would have been an extra $200. each person R/T for  exit aisle seats.

I bought tickets on EVA website for end of Sept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When it comes to PA, I think they have a funny interpretation as to what the U.S. security?

I've flown transit to a number of places, Hong Kong, Narita, Singapore and Taipei, at these location their transits is like another terminal but in Manila the best I can say it is just one big room or terminal for PA itself?

PA, unlike Eva uses a Airbus 320-200 series, basically one walkway down the middle of the aircraft.

When you get off the aircraft don't be in a hurry because you could miss the transit area, basically if you are guided right you walk down some stairs to a waiting area. If you are going anywhere in the States you must report to this desk area, you will see people sitting and lying around waiting for something?

At the desk you give them your passport and boarding pass then took to wait near by until your name is called. Since I arrived at 3 am in the morning not a lot of passengers but my wait was close to two hours. Once you name is called you are instructed opposite side to go through security, basically take off shoes etc and put your stuff in the trays to be scanned. I was warned about all this by my brother who left a month earlier also using PA.  He had only a 3 hour layover was nerve racking to him but mines was 8 hours, I waited 2 hours before my name was called.

Once you are done there is a small entrance as if you are going to some basement basically they have taken all the bags you checked in at Bangkok to your final destination in the U.S. overloaded it and brought to this area for you to open and have it inspected and swabbed for drugs. Once done your luggage is taken to the your final destination flight.

There is a small elevator, which max 4 people you are taken upstairs to the departing area for PA flights. Once upstairs there are people everywhere sitting and sleeping on the floor not a lot of bathroom but constantly cleans and limited food to eat. This is the one large room for all departing transits or originating passenger from Manilla going out on PA.  There is no information board as to where your destination is going out of what gate so you need to ask. All flights department to the States once they know the gate they will ask another seating in the area to leave then security ropes the entire area off, within the rope off area is a security scanner station. Everyone now for example departing to SFO must line up outside the rope area and go through the security scanner again!  If you came from Bangkok like myself, they pull me over to the side basically stripped search me, open my hand carry and swabbed my belonging looking for drugs.

Before you go through the security check make sure you go to the bathroom, eat cause if you leave you must again go through the whole process again. To be honest the people were not the problem also once on the flight I thought the service was good not like Eva but it was good.

As for seats, you want a aisle or exit row you need to pay for them, the cost depends on the distant for example BKK-Manilla was something like 300 baht, to SFO it was like 650-1600 baht depending on the location in the aircraft. Not exactly sure but Emergencys exit rows are like over 2000 baht?

Once my brother called me and told me what he went through I try to cancel and rebook on another airline but the one I remember seeing on Expedia was Nippon the schedule was similar to PA and Eva.  There is also as noted Japan operating using ANA many of the others to the West coast through Korea the layover is long.  I also noted United, also code share with someone and the old Northwest?Delta flight now operated by someone else the cost was not bad. Best to check it out for yourself my memory these days.

• Thanks 1

I'd be happy to go EVA again if I could find economy flights in December under the $1000 per person rate... Last time I checked online, EVA's year end fares showing right now were running above that rate.

Transiting at Taipei Airport with EVA has always been a very easy and relaxing experience, with lots of no-fee places to relax, get some food, use wifi, etc etc... And their ground staff there has always been very helpful and usually proficient in English.

Also, their standard layover times at Taipei on flights to the West Coast seemed pre-COVID to almost always have been 4-6 hours -- which for my tastes was just about right!

I've in the past pre-covid ran through their pricing year round in my research, summer is the highest until September right after labor day then it drops, then going into November the price jumps until the beginning of the year second week of January it drops again. The beginning of Chinese New Years is when the prices or rock bottom if you days are flexible.

Remember, I know this for a fact, the prices originating from BKK is higher than if you originate from the States. As I noted I seriously doubt if you will find anything under a 1000  on Eva. I ran through their prices for the reminder of the year into March of next year running average 41,000 baht prior seat purchase.

Even at that price 41-45,000 I would pay that before I use PA again if not Eva I would look at one of the others I mention that runs through Japan particularly Narita, it the saving is great I don't mind a 4-6 hours layover. There is another carrier that goes to one of the other Japan airport you need to gather you bags and take the bus or train to Narita.  But I'm hoping and planning a trip in Feb-March again it is also low season for hotel rooms.  Yes, Eva is a great airline transit through Taipei is great compare to Japan.

• Thanks 1

I've always wanted to give Cathay a try in the past... But every time I checked for a booking, it seemed that their prices to the West Coast were either VERY high... OR.... the more reasonable fares for some reason had LONG layover times like double digits of hours....

These days, with mainland China's increasing control over and intrusion into security issues in Hong Kong, as an American, I'm feeling a bit hesitant to want to voluntarily land myself into their clutches.

Pre-covid they had a number of flights out of Bangkok, the connection time departure and arrival very similar to Eva. I had a flight booked in early Feb 2021 the price was only 26,000 baht with seat purchased but it was cancelled with their flight crew problems and Thailand was pretty much shut down. Prior to going my last trip to PA, they hadn't started up their service to SFO but to LAX only and the price wasn't cheap but that was before July 1st, not sure if it changed?

Nothing against Indians, but connection out of HK, to SFO, at noon pre-covid the plane came from somewhere in India always a bit late and packed with passenger that lack common sense or manners but every flight I've taken since moving to Thailand and needing to go home it has been that way.

If the prices have gone down you might want to check out Singapore, prior to July 1st economy was insane running at 75,000 baht and up.

Nothing to worry about Hong Kong is a world class airport their transit is huge.

• Thanks 1

There is a small elevator, which max 4 people you are taken upstairs to the departing area for PA flights. Once upstairs there are people everywhere sitting and sleeping on the floor not a lot of bathroom but constantly cleans and limited food to eat. This is the one large room for all departing transits or originating passenger from Manilla going out on PA.  There is no information board as to where your destination is going out of what gate so you need to ask. All flights department to the States once they know the gate they will ask another seating in the area to leave then security ropes the entire area off, within the rope off area is a security scanner station. Everyone now for example departing to SFO must line up outside the rope area and go through the security scanner again!  If you came from Bangkok like myself, they pull me over to the side basically stripped search me, open my hand carry and swabbed my belonging looking for drugs.

Before you go through the security check make sure you go to the bathroom, eat cause if you leave you must again go through the whole process again.

None of that sounds very appealing...  ????

By comparison, EVA-Taipei transit is (was) quick, easy and comfortable.

I've in the past pre-covid ran through their pricing year round in my research, summer is the highest until September right after labor day then it drops,

That sounds dead-on to me, based on my past history with EVA.... It's no coincidence, then, that in past years, I almost always ended up buying my U.S. air tickets with them during the latter part of September!  ????

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

The only 'real' information I have is over a  month old. This posted on a local facebook group. Information was from a Eva LA to Bangkok flight. Passengers were deplaned and confined to a departure lounge, not allowed to go to the man hall, the duty free, the food places on that upper level. This because of Taiwan’s Covid policies. No idea if this is still in effect, or what they’re doing now. 

Now that's interesting about being limited to the outbound departure lounge, IF it's still the case now. I'll check with EVA about that, because of your tip!

In the past pre-COVID, of course, once you got off the BKK flight and cleared a quick security scanner check, you were free to roam the entire terminal airside. The wife and I always used to head for the upstairs eating area where they used to have a Starbucks, I think a Burger King or Carl's Jr. (can't recall now), and several other nice eateries. Used to be an easy and comfortable way to spend 3-4 hours.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I recently bought BKK-SFO on EVA with a 2 1/2 layover in Taipei. Cost was $900. which included seat selection. I'm traveling with a minor and couldn't get the exit seats for us both. Age limit is 15. But, the cost would have been an extra $200. each person R/T for  exit aisle seats.

I bought tickets on EVA website for end of Sept. 

When you bought your tickets on the EVA website, did you have the option to book the exit row seat for yourself then and have the seat surcharge figured into your total booking price, OR, was it a deal where they'd charge you extra seat fee at the check-in counter on top of your base ticket?

Also, was the extra $200 going to be just for the US-Taipei segment, or it would have covered exit row assignment for both segments -- BKK-Taipei and then Taipei-US?

PS - In the past with EVA, you could NOT pre-book an emergency exit row seat in economy with EVA via their website. They'd only assign those exit row seats checkin, sometimes for free, sometimes for an extra fee. In my case, in the past, because of my height, they'd often have pity and give me the seat assignment for free.... But that was 3+ years ago now, so may no longer apply!

Thanks!

I also wouldn't mind finding a decent, affordable flight transiting thru Changi Airport in Singapore, if that were possible.... (though I think Sing Air itself is probably out of our preferred air ticket budget).

Changi Airport has an official See's Candies shop in the airport there on the departure side, and that's one of the things we always buy in the U.S. to bring back home here as a treat. (There's also a See's counter in the international airside terminal at LAX).

https://chocolateshops.sees.com/sg-02/singapore/chocolate_shops_singapore_sg-02_intl-sg-sin.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When you bought your tickets on the EVA website, did you have the option to book the exit row seat for yourself then and have the seat surcharge figured into your total booking price, OR, was it a deal where they'd charge you extra seat fee at the check-in counter on top of your base ticket?

Also, was the extra $200 going to be just for the US-Taipei segment, or it would have covered exit row assignment for both segments -- BKK-Taipei and then Taipei-US?

PS - In the past with EVA, you could NOT pre-book an emergency exit row seat in economy with EVA via their website. They'd only assign those exit row seats checkin, sometimes for free, sometimes for an extra fee. In my case, in the past, because of my height, they'd often have pity and give me the seat assignment for free.... But that was 3+ years ago now, so may no longer apply!

Thanks!

When I booked the tickets the seat selection was just added to the total flight price. The $200. maybe a bit more fee for exit row seat was BKK to SFO R/T   both with Taipei layovers. It was a separate price for all 4 flight.

Just booking regular economy seats ran like $100. per ticket for the R/T flight.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm 6-8, the wife is 5-4. ????

Aside from their business then payment for exit row seat near door. 

I'm only 5'7 I try Deluxe a few times nothing special in fact I got upgraded a few times told agent I rather keep my old seat they were taken back but the damage was already done. 

• Haha 1

BKK-NRT/HND-LAX, I'd go one-stop via UA/NH. Looks like 30,000 THB regardless of season (Peak, Shoulder, Off-Peak) (21 day APEX, even late Dec/Jan). Travel Mon-Thu.

I'd minimize (U.S.) domestic segments, if not eliminate them entirely. Maybe avoid the Xmas/NYE dates as things will likely be bad given the loads and Wx.

Get some luggage trackers, AirTags ideal, but Tiles are OK.

Now (today?) is a good time to issue the ticket, assuming THL-USA-TH: R/T, with a no foreign transaction fee CC using USD, given the favorablee xchange rate. Issue the ticket as soon as your travel dates are very firm (90+%).

6'8", ouch. I'd consider J. Not sure you can purchase a bulkhead or exit row on NH or UA - available on UA metal with *G status.

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

BKK-NRT/HND-LAX, I'd go one-stop via UA/NH. Looks like 30,000 THB regardless of season (Peak, Shoulder, Off-Peak) (21 day APEX, even late Dec/Jan). Travel Mon-Thu.

Why are you recommending the United Airlines / ANA combo via Japan for the U.S. bound trip?  Just on the basis of price, or something else?

It's been a long while since I've been on a United Airlines flight.... but the memories I have aren't particularly good ones.

Also, in your route above, which is the two carriers is doing the long-haul U.S. portion?

Also, I take it your flight pairing above also would involve having to travel from one airport to another (Narita - Haneda) once arriving in Japan?  I saw some mention that that kind of arrangement requires getting a Japanese transit visa?

Price, price, price, schedule, reliability of schedule, more alternatives if IRROPS, baggage handling, *A benefits (if any).

Anyone over 6' is going to have a tight fit on NH, or even UA.

You can fly Japan-LAX on NH or UA metal, with or without codeshare.

No. You can fly BKK-HND-LAX or BKK-NRT-LAX. I am not recommending you conenct HND-NRT. BKK-NRT-LAX will probably be less expensive/offer more options.

Only you understand your schedule, requirements and preferences.

If you prefer BR, and many do, go for it. On the same days (Dec 19-Jan 6) BR was 51,795 THB. They do offer buy-ups to Premium Economy and Business class, even day-of/check-in.

Do you have any airline/alliance status? Any credit card benefits re: air travel?

There are sales and promotions every day so prime the Facebook and Google (Flights) algos to get feeds.

• Thanks 1

Update - Access to Taipei's airport main lounge, DF, & regular departure gates has been available since the end of August. BTW The Starbucks was gone 7 months before the pandemic (19), no idea why as it did a booming business.   

Edited by LomSak27
  • Thanks 1