Where can I buy a ticket that's simply proof?

if u have miles most all airlines allow u to book online, get a confirmation of ticket issued...then cxl the ticket and get refund of miles and taxes...upload the ticket confirmation or print out etc  and good to go... booked a bkk to nrt ticket with united miles got confirmation and cancelled ticket two hours later... no problem

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cubism001 said:

I'm flying into a country that demands proof of return.

Why so vague.

You mean Thailand?

In any event doubt if it would be return ticket required.

Possibly onward ticket.

A throw away ticket or tick from "rent a ticket" company or a ticket that you can later cancel or change dates without significant cost. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pomchop said:

if u have miles most all airlines allow u to book online, get a confirmation of ticket issued...then cxl the ticket and get refund of miles and taxes...upload the ticket confirmation or print out etc  and good to go... booked a bkk to nrt ticket with united miles got confirmation and cancelled ticket two hours later... no problem

A cancelled ticket won't work for the Philippines--they will check that the ticket is still valid.  Some companies allow a ticket to be canceled within 24 hours, but by the time a person has booked the ticket, and reached that leg of the journey in his or her itinerary, it is almost inevitably past the 24 hours.  This is why some companies have sprung up that offer ticket rentals--you rent a ticket to use for entry purposes, that you will not actually fly on later.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any of these companies directly, nor whether their tickets are possibly problematic at the checkpoints.

I went to the Philippines recently with an unknown return date.  At BKK Airport prior to check in, I booked a 24 hour cancel ticket which gives you intinerary and confirmation number.  I showed it at check in, and later that day upon arrival at Manila Airport.

When I got to my hotel I canceled it no fee.

Also, some of the online sites for flights have " cancel for any reason" insurance for a nominal fee.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I went to the Philippines recently with an unknown return date.  At BKK Airport prior to check in, I booked a 24 hour cancel ticket which gives you intinerary and confirmation number.  I showed it at check in, and later that day upon arrival at Manila Airport.

When I got to my hotel I canceled it no fee.

Also, some of the online sites for flights have " cancel for any reason" insurance for a nominal fee.

Yes all very well and I basically outlined that in my first post.

My post above corrected someone thinking that a bus/train ticket is ok.

A flight is required just as you now outline. 

Thanks for confirming my posts

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Jeez, you having a bad morning I thought your response was obvious and had some humor in it

It is not obvious.

Use of bus/train ticket has come up often.

It's important for folk to be aware that a flight (if asked for) is the only thing the airline at departure will accept. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

A cancelled ticket won't work for the Philippines--they will check that the ticket is still valid.  Some companies allow a ticket to be canceled within 24 hours, but by the time a person has booked the ticket, and reached that leg of the journey in his or her itinerary, it is almost inevitably past the 24 hours.  This is why some companies have sprung up that offer ticket rentals--you rent a ticket to use for entry purposes, that you will not actually fly on later.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any of these companies directly, nor whether their tickets are possibly problematic at the checkpoints.

i was under impression OP was asking re departure tix from thailand for visa purpose...far as i know thai visa folks don't care where tix is issued to fly to only that u are leaving country by air...that is why i booked bkk to nrt even though no plan to fly to nrt....fact is i leave thailand overland but they want to see proof of a flight out of thailand which i gave them and all was well and tourist visa issued......

6 hours ago, sallecc said:

As two Dr's above said already - rent a ticket on Onwardticket.com ($14 valid 2 days, $31 valid 14 days) - it works, I used it few times for my gf's visa and check-in, they actually checked it, and it's valid & legit.

I used that website in July, 48-hour validity for $16.

An onward ticket was required to obtain a boarding pass in Hong Kong.

The agent did log onto the reservation system to confirm the booking.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Where can I buy such a ticket?

Check Air Asia from Hat Yai to Phnom Penh, that's the shortest distance and often cheapest ticket out of Thailand. Check different days during the week, it's not same price...????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

Check Air Asia from Hat Yai to Phnom Penh, that's the shortest distance and often cheapest ticket out of Thailand. Check different days during the week, it's not same price...????

Ups, should say Kuala Lumpur...????

On 9/1/2022 at 6:35 AM, AsianAtHeart said:

Pom's suggestion is still working with many miles tickets. Just don't cancel immediately,  cancel after arrival. 

I just did this with a miles ticket from AA. I didn't really need an onward or return ticket, but better safe then sorry.  So I used my AA miles to buy a ticket from BKK to Europe and only canceled it after arrival. Got miles and taxes back.

If you only have a short flight and are able to cancel your onward ticket within 24 hours of departure then expedia.com allow the main airlines to be cancelled within 24 hours with a full refund.

But it's not for the cheaper airlines (like AirAsia) just for Thai. Malaysian airlines etc.

I've done this and it worked fine, you get a normal ticket and just cancel once you've arrived.

But make sure you use the US site (it's the only site with free cancellation) and that when you select the flight it says "

Free cancellation

There's no fee to cancel within 24 hours of booking.""

13 hours ago, Harry Om said:

If you only have a short flight and are able to cancel your onward ticket within 24 hours of departure then expedia.com allow the main airlines to be cancelled within 24 hours with a full refund.

But it's not for the cheaper airlines (like AirAsia) just for Thai. Malaysian airlines etc.

I've done this and it worked fine, you get a normal ticket and just cancel once you've arrived.

But make sure you use the US site (it's the only site with free cancellation) and that when you select the flight it says "

Free cancellation

There's no fee to cancel within 24 hours of booking.""

Or buy a fully refundable business class ticket.  Done that many times.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:46 AM, DrJoy said:

https://onwardticket.com/

They issue a valid ticket, the PNR can be confirmed/verified

Cost = 14 USD

On 9/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, sallecc said:

As two Dr's above said already - rent a ticket on Onwardticket.com ($14 valid 2 days, $31 valid 14 days) - it works, I used it few times for my gf's visa and check-in, they actually checked it, and it's valid & legit.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:13 PM, NoDisplayName said:

I used that website in July, 48-hour validity for $16.

An onward ticket was required to obtain a boarding pass in Hong Kong.

The agent did log onto the reservation system to confirm the booking.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:01 AM, DrJack54 said:

Airlines at check in do not accept bus/train tickets.

Must be onward flight. 

Here is one link for "rent a flight"

https://onwardflights.com/ 

So, what would happen if someone actually tried to FLY on that "valid ticket" which is "verified"?  If it's actually "valid," wouldn't they have to honor it?  Sounds like a dirt cheap ticket to me.

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

So, what would happen if someone actually tried to FLY on that "valid ticket" which is "verified"?  If it's actually "valid," wouldn't they have to honor it?  Sounds like a dirt cheap ticket to me.

You cannot fly on ticket you refer to. 

It is valid but it's booking only not confirmed payment.

Has a certain shelf life.

Only good to satisfy airline at departure. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You cannot fly on ticket you refer to. 

It is valid but it's booking only not confirmed payment.

Has a certain shelf life.

Only good to satisfy airline at departure. 

And how, exactly, would that hold up to the scrutiny it's given at the immigrations' checkpoint?  Wouldn't they see it for what it is?  I just don't get it.  Surely their computer system would tell all.

Reminds me of when there were flights to Thailand a couple years ago from certain other countries, but even a travel agent could not book a seat on one because they weren't selling any seats--the entire flight was just a "standby" in case the government actually allowed it.

11 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

It's a valid, confirmed booking only.

You could fly on it..........but only after you paid the outstanding balance.

11 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

So, what would happen if someone actually tried to FLY on that "valid ticket" which is "verified"? 

It shows on the system only for 48 hours.

The website states -

Can I use my flight reservation to fly?

No, this is a flight reservation only. Please contact us if you want to pay for the flight to receive a ticket you can use to travel.

https://onwardticket.com/faq