Twenty eight Cambodian workers escape major injury after scaffolding collapse in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai Rath reported that scaffolding at a construction site on a 6 story building in Bangkok last night collapsed throwing 28 Cambodian men and women to the ground.

Three people were treated by Poh Teck Tung foundation for minor bruising with no one requiring hospital treatment.

Bangpongpang police had been called to Sathupradit Soi 31 in Chong Nonsi just after 9pm.

The collapse of the metal scaffolding occurred during the lifting of cement to the third floor, the first two floors of the building were finished. 

It happened at the B.A.P.S.  or Swaminarayan foundation in the middle of the soi.

An initial investigation suggested that the scaffolding was unable to bear the weight after subsidence caused by heavy rain. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

If this happens on the third floor, imagine what could have happened higher up.

I have often stopped at a construction site and gazed, slack-jawed, at the wooden scaffolding and wondered how often people were killed on these death-traps....

Iron scaffolding dont break that easy, but you have to built it RIGHT.

Rain has no effect on metal, though overload on the scaffold can.

Also material should be in great condition, dont use broken down items.

There is always a limit on the weight of a scaffold. There were already 28 people on it and then extra all the cement.

I would say, used wrong way and even maybe built wrong.

Then problems occur. Rain for breaking down, c'mon.

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Very infrequently.

"Twelve of the 25 most dangerous jobs as measured by the rate of people who die at work are in the construction industry, according to a recent report from business insurance analysis firm AdvisorSmith."

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/report-nearly-half-of-americas-deadliest-jobs-are-in-construction/586801/

Is Thailand's construction industry safer than that of the USA's?

• Haha 1

Just now, JimmyJ said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Very infrequently.

"Twelve of the 25 most dangerous jobs as measured by the rate of people who die at work are in the construction industry, according to a recent report from business insurance analysis firm AdvisorSmith."

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/report-nearly-half-of-americas-deadliest-jobs-are-in-construction/586801/

Is Thailand's construction industry safer than that of the USA's?

I've no idea but, then I don't care because the US's safety record couldn't be more irrelevant.   If workers were killed as a result of dodgy scaffolding with any regularity here, you'd know about it.

41 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I indeed doubt 'rain' caused the scaffolding to collapse. What is most likely to have happened is one or more of the uprights planted on the ground lost its contact with said ground due to erosion from heavy rainfall. The ground was washed away and the upright would 'sink' into a cavity. Once one or more 'legs' moved out of vertical the whole rig becomes unstable and could (did) collapse.  The problem is exacerbated if the uprights don't have adequate pads (baseplates) under them.

Thank fully it sounds like the accident didn't result in fatalities. 

Agree, could be a good possibility to make the scaffold unstable. I mentioned, you have to built the scaffold right and that includes with pads ????

It could also be THE point of collapsing, not using pads, easy, wrong way build.

Thailand has a lot to improve on work safety.

I ve seen the bamboo scaffolds, people working on it. 

Once a welder, one foot on one bamboo, other foot one a next bamboo, one hand holding himself and the welding with other hand. I was flabbergasted.

If i would have done such a thing here, they would have fired me.

They made it real tight here. If you work on 1.8 meter height, you need safety fall belt. If not, then they send you walking out of the gate.  

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

There is always a limit on the weight of a scaffold. There were already 28 people on it and then extra all the cement.

The report describes it as 'metal scaffolding' .I assume that would be tubular steel certainly not iron. Perhaps it was the weight of the large green and white 'SAFETY FIRST' sign which caused an overload.....????

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Sounds like the rain caused the base to give way , rain washing away the ground the scaffold was stood on ?

9 hours ago, blazes said:

If this happens on the third floor, imagine what could have happened higher up.

I have often stopped at a construction site and gazed, slack-jawed, at the wooden scaffolding and wondered how often people were killed on these death-traps....

Hardly anywhere in Thailand - Bangkok at least - uses wooden scaffolding for large structures.

When I moved to Hong Kong in the 90s I was amazed that the skyscrapers were built with bamboo scaffolding.  And it is still common.

https://www.goldthread2.com/culture/bamboo-scaffolding-why-does-hong-kong-still-use-it-construction/article/3080274

So what is your point?  If it is not metal it is not safe??

14 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

23 hours ago, webfact said:

An initial investigation suggested that the scaffolding was unable to bear the weight after subsidence caused by heavy rain.

Or maybe the subsidence had something to do with it.

Doesn't matter how well or not it's built if the floor is moving.