Bangkok taxi-meters: Fares set to rise - taxi drivers jubilant after 8 year wait

webfact

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Why would you ever ask?  Why do some foreigners automatically wait until the driver puts their window down and ask/beg to go somewhere? 
Why doesn't everyone just get in the back seat say hello in Thai, let the driver know where you want to go in Thai and guess what? The driver hits the meter to go and you are off!! Works 99.9  % in most cases. I mean where the heck do some people go that makes drivers say no? That might be the only problem. One last thing. Know which side of a main road is the best  side to your destination and NEVER go beg a standing taxi who is waiting at a popular area.  How difficult is that? 

C'mon, c'mon, stop being rational, it doesn't go down well here!

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Why would you ever ask?  Why do some foreigners automatically wait until the driver puts their window down and ask/beg to go somewhere? 
Why doesn't everyone just get in the back seat say hello in Thai, let the driver know where you want to go in Thai and guess what? The driver hits the meter to go and you are off!! Works 99.9  % in most cases. I mean where the heck do some people go that makes drivers say no? That might be the only problem. One last thing. Know which side of a main road is the best  side to your destination and NEVER go beg a standing taxi who is waiting at a popular area.  How difficult is that? 

Expand  

Such naivety..

No, he's right.

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

C'mon, c'mon, stop being rational, it doesn't go down well here!

The drivers who do this [roll their window down]... do so as they pull up and stop with the open window in front of you. 

You can either tell the taxi driver your direction and he’ll nod or say no.

Or you can get in, then tell the taxi driver your direction and he’ll nod and off you go, or say no and you'll have to get out again.... 

The act of getting in the taxi does not influence the drivers mind and persuade him to go as implied by alex...  Thats why "everyone doesn’t get in the back and say hello in Thai......”

Also, the guys who rock up to the kerb while opening their window are already halfway into their ‘exit-strategy’...   they’re better off just being dismissed and not dealing with. 

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

25 years ago the flag-fall was 35 Baht. It should now be 50-60 Baht.
Ever wondered why the drivers are so reluctant to use the meter?????

Flagfall in Manila is still 40 Pesos (25 Baht??) - and they are even more reluctant to use the meter.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

25 years ago the flag-fall was 35 Baht.

Apparently, not...

"The media reported that taxi fares have not increased from 2014" 

The flag-fall rate has been the same for a very long time (I can’t remember how long). 

There have also been fare increases....  cost per km and per time stationary increased.

I know.  14th December 2014 fares were increased.

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't worry, there'll soon be one of the other 40,000 that will take you.  

I think thats a fair stat... 40,000 of the estimated 100,000 taxi’s in Bangkok are driven by tools !!! 

It's your stat, not mine, as is the "tools" opinion...

"IF I am going to take a taxi today from Sukhumvit road I know that there is a 50/50 chance I’ll get a tool". 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

44 minutes ago, kennw said:

Well, set up a "hot line" to report on the spot those taxi's that refuse to take you or demand huge fares. 

There is one. I used it and they told me to call the tourist police. I called the tourist police and they told me to call the taxi reporting number.

What the authorities should do, if they were actually interested instead of just saying they are, is to get soldiers out of the barracks were they do who knows what all day, dress them in civvies, and let them go to the places where everyone knows the drivers refuse to use the meter or take the passenger at all, and then arrest them when they illegally turn down the fare. And not just for a couple of hours on one day, as they used to do pre-Covid. The word would soon get around and then Bangkok, and elsewhere in Thailand, might have a taxi service that matches what operates in much of the real world. Of course, other countries have taxi problems, and it depends if Thailand wants to be among the worst or the best.

Of course that won't happen, as those who make such decisions don't take taxis so they don't care.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The act of getting in the taxi does not influence the drivers mind and persuade him to go as implied by alex...  Thats why "everyone doesn’t get in the back and say hello in Thai......”

Or you could sit there until he takes you where you want to go. Of course, there is a danger that you could sit there until death so that the driver doesn't lose face by doing the job you pay him for.

Imagine if they could get the number of taxis down further…..from the stated 60,000 down to say……30,000 or 40,000!  When you look at most major intersections and see nothing but empty taxis, empty taxis even before Covid, lined up three deep at the head of the line waiting for lights to change……

one wonders how traffic might improve.

I only use a taxi in Bangkok from the airport to my hotel.

Any other transportation I use Grab, easytaxi, Or other apps.

I know what I'm paying and have a record of the driver. It's very reasonable price wise.

I don't feel like dealing with conniving Taxi jerks while I'm already in hectic Bangkok.  I just want to get to point B without a fuss. 

The fare increase is fair with riding costs with the stated caveat that not taking a fare will be punished.    

All you people who have so much cash you have always ripped big and never worried about no flag are how this problem got bigger.  

My wife who lived in BKK 20 years always expects to have to tell the drivers where to and expects a 50% rejection rate. 

I recall on time at terminal 21 we got rejected 3 times by a taxi before one took us.  It didn't make sense to me as the taxi took off losing his place in the que.  This happened so often all over thonglor area.   Since Thailand relies on tourists it seems it's most important that these areas are patrolled until taxis offer a good image to Thailand.   

6 hours ago, Katipo said:

Who still hails cabs in the street as opposed to using Grab or a similar service? Fixed cost and a driver knows where they are going vs. whatever lady luck throws at you.

me. done it just now. old mate refused meter, qouted 150 baht from Phra Arthit to Patpong 2. Grab wants 170-200 baht inclusive of their redonkulous commission.

roi ha sip is a reasonable fare for that distance, plus traffic ain't exactly light at this time of night (20:15). so I said ok mai bpen rai, everybody's happy. being stingy 24/7 ain't good for the soul.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

How many taxi-drives in Thailand actually use meter? Almost none, all refused to use it when I asked in Bangkok.

So they have been overcharging customers for a long time now.

That's why I use the motorcycle taxi's, you need some balls but their good and they will get you there.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

How many taxi-drives in Thailand actually use meter? Almost none, all refused to use it when I asked in Bangkok.

So they have been overcharging customers for a long time now.

I don't know where you were in Bangkok but I've lived there for nine years (Makkasan) and rarely have I had that occur. It tends to happen very late at night when it does, after midnight in places like Nana etc. All you have to do is wave them off and flag down another until someone does use the meter. Most taxi drivers are decent working people. The bad eggs get a lot of attention though. You really ought not to spread misinformation, and should say nothing if you don't know what you're talking about. And you don't. Maybe you're just not a very nice person, and that's why the taxis don't want you. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The flag-fall rate has been the same for a very long time (I can’t remember how long). 

There have also been fare increases....  cost per km and per time stationary increased.

20 Satang/km rise??!

I remember in '98 flagfall was 35.

These numbers show how these people are exploited.

• Like 1