Bangkok taxi-meters: Fares set to rise - taxi drivers jubilant after 8 year wait

webfact

Jirut Wisanjit, chief of the DLT, said that when the fares do increase the drivers must stop refusing fares.

Or they will face points that could lead to their licences being suspended. 

They should take up drink driving instead, you can get away with that more than once without being suspended.:cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really, if you know Bangkok, you know how, where and at what time to get around to avoid the worst of the traffic. 

But... IF you are trying to get somewhere between 5 and 6pm, expect gridlock

(5-8pm gridlock on a Friday at the end of the month !)

Travel anywhere between 9am and 4pm and you’ll generally be fine unless there is something going on (event / road closure etc).

I’m sure he means the rain, not the traffic!!

After 8 yrs thing go up so fares will rise,understand that.Grab have a lot of customers or cars and take away from the taxis.The skytrain has the customers too,plus the motorbike taxi,s .The only thing is the taxis will still run the cars with the meter off  or say no meter.A tip is always expected more from the farang than thais.So if you use taxis in bkk you should know the rules,overall if you need transport,the fares are reasonable which ever u chose.

when i return jan i will use a motor taxi to find seiko house being they before,but the bike is quick and easy.I will ask the price  but a fair price from them,could be return or 1 way.I expect a price maybe of 100 to 200 baht.That is want I expect to pay and jan I will know.The only thing is the motorbike is not for everyone to  use as a taxi.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

How many taxi-drives in Thailand actually use meter? Almost none, all refused to use it when I asked in Bangkok.

So they have been overcharging customers for a long time now.

I'd warrant the ratio of will/will not use the meter to be 95 to 5. "Almost none." is not even close to me experience. Might be location based - I don't go to or get cabs from places tourists hang out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Grab / bolt / uber .. why use a taxi. I prefer a fixed price, I specify the route and I can provide feed back. Much better for the consumer. 

I definitely prefer Grab in Thailand...   but it depends where I am, what I’m doing etc.

Sometimes its just easier to walk out of a pub and flag down a passing taxi... but sometimes at the wrong time of evening or imperfect location we’ll get the repeated ’no go’ response which can be annoying....

4 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

I'd warrant the ratio of will/will not use the meter to be 95 to 5. "Almost none." is not even close to me experience. Might be location based - I don't go to or get cabs from places tourists hang out.

Agreed... it definitely depends on location. 

If trying to get a taxi in the Soi 11 area at midnight to 1am...  the 5:95 (yes to no) ratio is realistic. 

If trying to get a taxi down anywhere along Sukhumvit after 5pm the 50/50 ratio is realistic. 

If trying to get a taxi in Lad-Prao at 2pm in the afternoon 90:10 (yes to no) ratio is realistic. 

I am sometimes in busy touristy areas, I’m sometimes in busy areas, I’m sometimes in non-busy, non-tourist areas....   

I’m in a non-Tourist area now...   I need to go 15 mins down the road at 6:45pm...  its been raining.

If I go out to the main road I don’t know if I can get a taxi immediately, or wait 15 mins with repeated no’s.  I’ll call a grab or get the wife to take me !!!

First world problems !!! 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Jirut Wisanjit, chief of the DLT, said that when the fares do increase the drivers must stop refusing fares.

sure, sure and the Pope is catholic..... who's going to policy them and enforce the ban   555

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Or they will face points that could lead to their licences being suspended. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, nikmar said:

i get mostly polite taxi drivers as well - i think knowing at least basic thai is a bonus. i find most - almost most - drivers are happy to help you practice Thai. i usually tip if i arrive untraumatised by the driving skills of said driver!

Knowing Thai certainly helps with the good taxi drivers who can more easily understand you when you state the destination etc...   

But.. the good taxi drivers are awesome, they drive well, have clean taxi’s will be helpful to anyone even if they don’t speak any Thai or know the direction... they will try.

But, in some area’s speaking Thai gets the response of an immediate ‘no'.. those drivers are the ones who are looking to rip off the unsuspecting, they know you know they need the meter on, they know you know the going rate to your destination etc... 

I always tip if I get a good driver...  they usually get rounded up to the nearest 100 Baht or whatever convenient notes I have in my pocket....  (so the flag fall taxi will usually get the same as I pay for Grab anyway).

i.e. if the journey is 65 Baht they get 100 Baht... if its 95 Baht they’ll get 120 baht... if its 145 baht they’ll get a 188 or 200 Baht depending on the journey and what I have... I don’t over think it or worry about it.... I just don’t want hassle, but often find myself having to tell the drivers to calm down, I’m not in a hurry etc etc... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, carlf said:

Strange... I've been living in BKK for almost 4 years.  I don't take taxis that often... perhaps once a month or so.  But I find that almost ALL of the taxi drivers that I ask accept to use the meter.  Granted, I speak a bit of Thai so that perhaps helps.  

No, speaking Thai hardly makes a difference at all when the taxi driver is honest... 

IF a taxi driver is a good honest person there is never a problem (particularly if you know exactly where you are going).

[perhaps 10-20% of taxi drivers]

IF a taxi driver is a tool, you are quite likely to find some sort of irritation; from them saying no, to not using the meter, to them driving badly, clocked meters etc.

[perhaps 10-20% of taxi drivers]

IF a taxi driver is borderline, then it simply depends on the time, the area you are in and the destination.

[most taxi drivers fit into this category] 

This is simply about the character of person behind the wheel.... And those who could be classified poorly deliberately gravitate towards the areas where they believe they can take more of an advantage of the customers. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... it definitely depends on location. 

If trying to get a taxi in the Soi 11 area at midnight to 1am...  the 5:95 (yes to no) ratio is realistic. 

If trying to get a taxi down anywhere along Sukhumvit after 5pm the 50/50 ratio is realistic. 

If trying to get a taxi in Lad-Prao at 2pm in the afternoon 90:10 (yes to no) ratio is realistic. 

I am sometimes in busy touristy areas, I’m sometimes in busy areas, I’m sometimes in non-busy, non-tourist areas....   

I’m in a non-Tourist area now...   I need to go 15 mins down the road at 6:45pm...  its been raining.

If I go out to the main road I don’t know if I can get a taxi immediately, or wait 15 mins with repeated no’s.  I’ll call a grab or get the wife to take me !!!

First world problems !!! 

You have so many problems. Hey it's 6 pm , I'm on Sukhumvit. Hmmm I'm going farther up/down Sukhumvit. Hmm Taxi will take forever. Hmm What is that sky train when I look up!!!  I bet it's cheaper and much quicker at 6pm. Elevators and escalators too if you need some extra help. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

25 years ago the flag-fall was 35 Baht.

Apparently, not...

"The media reported that taxi fares have not increased from 2014" 

The flag-fall rate has been the same for a very long time (I can’t remember how long). 

There have also been fare increases....  cost per km and per time stationary increased.

• Thanks 1

i feel sorry for the tourists getting overcharged all the time.  but most of us who live here have figured out the system and get by ok.  you can take BTS/MRT, wait for the taxi that agrees on the meter or take the first one that comes by (usually with the inflated, no meter rate).  it really depends on your patience and your situation at the time.  are you in a hurry ?  is it worth 50thb extra, you will pay 100thb instead of 50thb ?  or is it an airport ride and you'll pay 200 extra on top of the 300thb.  grab is an option, i've used them a couple times.  a recent thread pointed out they are more expensive than the meter taxi but maybe the same as the 'no meter' rates.  i live in btwn terminal 21 and emporium about 200m from sukhumvit and i use BTS/MRT the most, taxis home late at night and to the airport - i rarely get a meter option on the late night or airport journeys.   at least the no meter rates are generally the same amongst the taxis, i kind of feel like it is the 'normal' rate i pay it so often.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Drivers were facing hardship as they had less custom and the rent of vehicles made up a larger proportion than previously. 

They might have more custom if they didn't refuse customers and did their job, which is give customers the ride they ask for. You know, like in the real world. Those same customers want to give you money, which you refuse. The concept of a customer paying you to take them where they want to go shouldn't be too difficult to understand, even for a poorly educated taxi driver.

Edited by Bangkok Barry