Bangkok taxi-meters: Fares set to rise - taxi drivers jubilant after 8 year wait

webfact

22 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

25 years ago the flag-fall was 35 Baht. It should now be 50-60 Baht.
Ever wondered why the drivers are so reluctant to use the meter?????

Don't think that they are reluctant has any thing do with the flag-fall. It is because they want the tourist to pay 200 baht for a 50 Baht trip.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand.... Cheapest taxi's on the planet. 

Substantial increase required, far too cheap at the moment. 

Enforce use of meters.

This will be difficult, lots of bad eggs in the taxi industry. 

i tried to book a cab from swampy a few weeks ago to mo chit...driver started talking well over the top..i said wait i called the bride  she spoke to him 300 baht less job done i thought till we arrived at the pay motorway he said motorway not included you must pay   no choice eh ..but he would have done the same if id accepted the High fare anyway so still got it 300 baht cheaper by putting a Thai on the phone..

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think everyone is quite happy to see the Taxi drivers receive a deserved and fare increase to their tariff to bring their rates back into parity with the cost of fuel and living. 

This is especially good for the many honest hard working drivers out there who deserve a break. 

Now those drivers who cheat customers, refuse fares, quote higher rates or run up the meter can’t use the ‘low rates’ as an excuse....  what will their excuses be now ???  

yes no one expects anyone to work for nothing increase with cost of living is only fare  but it will bring in a big opening for grab.bolt ect....perhaps more people would be sympathetic with the drivers of it wasn't for the rip offs ..

On 9/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, JCCR6 said:

Supply and demand, people aren’t using taxis because grab provides a better service with cleaner newer cars. 

Increase the cost of taxis and grab becomes even more attractive. 

well said spot on

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

Don't think that they are reluctant has any thing do with the flag-fall. It is because they want the tourist to pay 200 baht for a 50 Baht trip.

That's prbably about what it should cost. Or what costs 50 Baht now should really cost 100-200 Baht.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

That's prbably about what it should cost. Or what costs 50 Baht now should really cost 100-200 Baht.

Might be correct it should cost, but it doesn't. I usually pay pretty good tip with every trip I take including when I book GrabTaxi. Easy to tip and rate in the app after the trip. I usually not tip if no Grab Taxi is available so I have to book the overpriced JustGrab or CrabCar and with Bolt where I pay cash I just round up so I don't get any coins.

Edited by Eaglekott
Moved some text to another reply

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is about time they did raise the flag fall price. For as long as I can remember and I was in Thailand before the taxi's had meters, it has been Baht 35. With the cost of fuel higher it is reasonable to increase the start price.

I heard that the reason they do not change the 35 Baht flag-fall price is that they can not change that price unless they replace the meter for a new one. Not sure that is true so take it with some salt. But I believe the meters is starting ticking price earlier than before.

Bangkok taxi fares may rise soon

ride-hailing-app-legalized-Thailand_web.png

Taxi drivers waiting for customers at Bangkok Railway Station, more commonly known as Hua Lamphong, in Bangkok. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

The Transport Ministry is considering increasing taxi fares in Bangkok, from 35 baht for the first kilometre to 45 baht, noting that the fares have not been increased for 8 years.

Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Transport Ministry, Sorapong Paitoonphong, said that they will consider increasing fares for taxis licensed in Bangkok, as taxi drivers have been demanding an increase in the fares in line with the economic situation. He added that fares have not risen since 2014, in direct contrast with increasing fuel prices and costs of living.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Thai Taxi Public Association said that its working committee has proposed an increase, starting at 45 baht for taxis with 1,600-1,800cc engines and 50 baht for taxis with 2,000cc engines and above for the first kilometre.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-taxi-fares-may-rise-soon/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Have not had a problem since the Virus started.  It seems like the Taxi drivers were not getting enough fares and since then I have not had a problem.  Do not have drivers going past they all stop now.  Usually get a Cab from Suk Soi 8 or across Suk at Soi 11.  Right in the middle of tourist area and now no problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I heard that the reason they do not change the 35 Baht flag-fall price is that they can not change that price unless they replace the meter for a new one. Not sure that is true so take it with some salt. But I believe the meters is starting ticking price earlier than before.

Could be but I would find that hard to believe. If it is true it is one of the very few electronic devices which cannot be changed.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

its working committee has proposed an increase, starting at 45 baht for taxis with 1,600-1,800cc engines and 50 baht for taxis with 2,000cc engines and above

Why on earth would the passenger consider it reasonable to pay more based on engine size? 

• Like 1

I recall 1999. Prince was still alive ????

Meter drop was 35 baht. It should be 200 baht by now.

I have driven a taxi, and it ain't no way to get rich, plus most of them are driving a stick shift....I have done that in Krung Thep in my own POV. Not fun.

The guys are working 14 hours a day. Cut 'em some slack & tip them well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Could be but I would find that hard to believe. If it is true it is one of the very few electronic devices which cannot be changed.

But things move along at the speed of Greenland glacier when the government becomes involved.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:13 AM, EricTh said:

How many taxi-drives in Thailand actually use meter? Almost none, all refused to use it when I asked in Bangkok.

So they have been overcharging customers for a long time now.

Rarely have had a problem with taxi drivers using a meter in BKK, unless your standing out side Nana etc, most are very pleasant and don't overcharge... 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Rarely have had a problem with taxi drivers using a meter in BKK, unless your standing out side Nana etc, most are very pleasant and don't overcharge... 

I grabbed a cab 21 years ago on Sukh. Soi 21 to Lat Prao.

My wife was hammered (I'd just met her & she was tring to keep up with me). All 99 lbs of her.

I thought "She's going to yak her guts out soon", so I popped into a late night pharmacy just to have a plastic bag.

Poor taxi driver was going nuts till he figured out she had a barf bag.

SPY....she won't touch them things a couple decades later. ????

PS....I went shopping the next day & brought home an ice cold SPY. That's a true Led Zepplin fellas.

What a champ she is. She saw it and started wretching.????

• Confused 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, Eaglekott said:

It's been 35 Baht since '98. It shows how these people are exploited, and kept down money-wise. As I mentioned before, and only IMHO,  it should have been 50-60 Baht for a long time now. I always used to tip well because of this.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:05 PM, Photoguy21 said:

I had exactly the same thought as you. When I asked I was told that the 35 baht starting fee was hardcoded in none programmable chip, while KM fare and waiting fare was soft coded and was changeable. Apparently he was  wrong since they now mention raise to 45 or 50 Baht flag fall. 

58 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I had exactly the same thought as you. When I asked I was told that the 35 baht starting fee was hardcoded in none programmable chip, while KM fare and waiting fare was soft coded and was changeable. Apparently he was  wrong since they now mention raise to 45 or 50 Baht flag fall. 

Considering the rise in costs it is reasonable. Agreed I prefer 35 Baht but you have to be reasonable with the guys they are trying to make a living which many do not seem to appreciate. Taxi's are mainly, unless belong to a big company, hired by the driver on a daily rate. Take out of what they earn for fuel and there is not a lot left for them.

37 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Considering the rise in costs it is reasonable. Agreed I prefer 35 Baht but you have to be reasonable with the guys they are trying to make a living which many do not seem to appreciate. Taxi's are mainly, unless belong to a big company, hired by the driver on a daily rate. Take out of what they earn for fuel and there is not a lot left for them.

I remember the first time I visited Thailand some 20 years ago, I was surprised how far the 35Baht initial fare took you, felt like the meters never started to count. But now when they start the meter it starts ticking pretty fast. So I believe they have "raised" the flag down price by shorten the amount on included km's. or it just me that is getting old. 555

BTW I always give decent tip when they take meter. They probably earn more in some cases than the one that refuse meter. I usually also tip when using "Grab TAXI" (meter + 20 Baht) easy to tip and rate in the app.

Edited by Eaglekott

9 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I remember the first time I visited Thailand some 20 years ago, I was surprised how far the 35Baht initial fare took you, felt like the meters never started to count. But now when they start the meter it starts ticking pretty fast. So I believe they have "raised" the flag down price by shorten the amount on included km's. or it just me that is getting old. 555

BTW I always give decent tip when they take meter. They probably earn more in some cases than the one that refuse meter. I usually also tip when using "Grab TAXI" (meter + 20 Baht) easy to tip and rate in the app.

The 35 baht starting fee will remain unchanged, but the price per kilometre will increase between .50 baht and 2 baht depending on the distance.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2014/12/13/1418390318/

The Transport Ministry is considering increasing taxi fares in Bangkok, from 35 baht for the first kilometre to 45 baht, noting that the fares have not been increased for 8 years.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-taxi-fares-may-rise-soon/

Edited by Eaglekott
Miss read the post the link was from 2014.

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

It was around 30 years ago when they introduced the meter. I was in Thailand then, actually before then. The fares are pretty reasonable when you think of it. To give you an example, when I go for my yearly medical it takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour to get there depending on traffic. The is always less than 200 baht which is cheap considering the time. If we compare it say to the UK, and the prices I believe have gone up again since I was there, I had to return to get a full visa for my job. I was staying in a hotel maybe 2 miles from Heathrow. It cost 20 quid or about 800 baht.