Isuzu Dmax Engine malfunction light

Kenny202

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I believe in Thailand most main dealerships are franchise's and my experience is there must be some good ones along with the badly run ones. 

Never found a Toyota dealer that was competent apart from basic servicing. 

Our local Isuzu dealership is just as bad they just seem to want you spending more money than require. 

I have always felt fortunate to have our local Cockpit who's franchise management and spanners have been very good over the years and check everything I want not what they want and will bring to your attention on something they find if anything when checking the vehicle over so you are aware. 

I haven't looked into  but I imagine its pretty much the same every where regarding the franchise set up of main dealers, As you have said there are many badly run, either due to incompetence on one hand or malpractice bordering on fraud  on the other.  

I recently took the wifes honda jazz for a service and was quite surprised to be charged about 1000 baht more than normal, I asked to see the receipt , they were very evasive , insisting that their was no point "as it was only written in Thai"   I literally had to pull it out of the the guys hand !  I read the first few words out aloud as I worked my way down the list of work done and I could see he was looking a little uneasy,

It took me about 30  seconds to see that they had charged me for 2 oil changes !!   He did a good impersonation of being shocked and surprised and quickly disappeared into the office returning 5 minutes later with a new (correct) receipt  accompanied with a copious amount of " Wais".  2 minutes after that a manager appeared , more apologies and more wais  and  a remark about "computer problems" 

You cannot trust any of them in my opinion,

The best solution is to build a relationship with an alternative mechanic as you seem to have done. It may not be possible to use them for servicing due to  warranty constraints  but its always good to have a second opinion if major repairs are "required"

• Thanks 1

bluedriver.jpg.7770642615654f9a9732174928a4cc02.jpg

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why did you take it to a dealer if you knew from the code reader that a sensor needed replacing?  

I have a Snap On scan tool, which I neglected to bring.

Now have a $120 Bluetooth which plugs into the ALDL and has access via cell fone for travelling.

That being said without the scan tool and Live Data I would not have known about the faulty sensor

Edited by seedy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I believe in Thailand most main dealerships are franchise's and my experience is there must be some good ones along with the badly run ones. 

Never found a Toyota dealer that was competent apart from basic servicing. 

Our local Isuzu dealership is just as bad they just seem to want you spending more money than require. 

I have been pretty happy with ours. Have three big Isuzu dealers where I live and initially tried them all. These guys charge generally between 2000-3000 baht for every service. Haven't had any major services yet. The other two Isuzu dealers were thieves...50% more for everything and always trying to upsell. And we did shop around for local guys and they were quoting more for general services than our dealer. If you got a really good honest local bloke I am sure on things like the EGR he might suggest a cheaper fix (soak and clean) or such but if it is only a short term fix would rather replace part and do it properly rather than end up on the side of the road out in the boonies somewhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I haven't looked into  but I imagine its pretty much the same every where regarding the franchise set up of main dealers, As you have said there are many badly run, either due to incompetence on one hand or malpractice bordering on fraud  on the other.  

I recently took the wifes honda jazz for a service and was quite surprised to be charged about 1000 baht more than normal, I asked to see the receipt , they were very evasive , insisting that their was no point "as it was only written in Thai"   I literally had to pull it out of the the guys hand !  I read the first few words out aloud as I worked my way down the list of work done and I could see he was looking a little uneasy,

It took me about 30  seconds to see that they had charged me for 2 oil changes !!   He did a good impersonation of being shocked and surprised and quickly disappeared into the office returning 5 minutes later with a new (correct) receipt  accompanied with a copious amount of " Wais".  2 minutes after that a manager appeared , more apologies and more wais  and  a remark about "computer problems" 

You cannot trust any of them in my opinion,

The best solution is to build a relationship with an alternative mechanic as you seem to have done. It may not be possible to use them for servicing due to  warranty constraints  but its always good to have a second opinion if major repairs are "required"

Glad you sorted them out.

Many funny stories in certain I can tell of Toyota and Isuzu dealerships.

The lastest was our Isuzu at the first free service I only took it there to see how they perform. 

As you know they only charge for parts at the first free service not that that's a big deal. 

They wanted to change the clutch fluid,  the brake fluid plus tried push for oil additives.

I told them no I just want oil and filter change, Oh no they said it will affect your warranty if you don't follow our schedules.

With that I said don't do anything then I want the truck back. 

The truck has been looked after by Cockpit ever since.

If your not knowledgeable about servicing vehicles in Thailand they will try it on.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I have been pretty happy with ours. Have three big Isuzu dealers where I live and initially tried them all. These guys charge generally between 2000-3000 baht for every service. Haven't had any major services yet. The other two Isuzu dealers were thieves...50% more for everything and always trying to upsell. And we did shop around for local guys and they were quoting more for general services than our dealer. If you got a really good honest local bloke I am sure on things like the EGR he might suggest a cheaper fix (soak and clean) or such but if it is only a short term fix would rather replace part and do it properly rather than end up on the side of the road out in the boonies somewhere.

Or maybe a EGR by-pass.  ????

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Glad you sorted them out.

Many funny stories in certain I can tell of Toyota and Isuzu dealerships.

The lastest was our Isuzu at the first free service I only took it there to see how they perform. 

As you know they only charge for parts at the first free service not that that's a big deal. 

They wanted to change the clutch fluid,  the brake fluid plus tried push for oil additives.

I told them no I just want oil and filter change, Oh no they said it will affect your warranty if you don't follow our schedules.

With that I said don't do anything then I want the truck back. 

The truck has been looked after by Cockpit ever since.

If your not knowledgeable about servicing vehicles in Thailand they will try it on.  

yeah I have also had the oil treatment scam tried on me also the brake / clutch fluid scam.   I have never in my life changed the brake fluid in any car that I have owned. Years ago the missis had a nissan NV  a small pick-up with a 1600 twincam engine cracking car and really nippy  The recommended oil change interval was every 5000 km !!!    lol    as if ,    Luckily I bought it second hand. and so disregarded the "advice" so there was no warranty to worry about It had covered nearly 300,000 km with no issues when i finally sold it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Or maybe a EGR by-pass.  ????

Yeah some of the mods they do quite cluey. Others not so much. Thais are notorious for a lack of maintenance in everything....their home, vehicles. Better pay as you go in my book avoid even more costly issues in the future. I see 3 or 4 yo vehicles getting around here already blowing smoke and everything else probably already shot. They rack up the km pretty fast too driving many kilometers to save 100 baht delivery fee. I wonder about these Grab Taxi drivers how much they take into account for their 90 baht fare. We got a cab yesterday and I am pretty sure the guy drove at least 5ks to pick us up, then around 10km to the destination....then probably more ks to get to next destination. Small Toyota looked like under 5 years old. Sagging in the back....suspension struggling....looked like the brakes weren't too flash. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah some of the mods they do quite cluey. Others not so much. Thais are notorious for a lack of maintenance in everything....their home, vehicles. Better pay as you go in my book avoid even more costly issues in the future. I see 3 or 4 yo vehicles getting around here already blowing smoke and everything else probably already shot. They rack up the km pretty fast too driving many kilometers to save 100 baht delivery fee. I wonder about these Grab Taxi drivers how much they take into account for their 90 baht fare. We got a cab yesterday and I am pretty sure the guy drove at least 5ks to pick us up, then around 10km to the destination....then probably more ks to get to next destination. Small Toyota looked like under 5 years old. Sagging in the back....suspension struggling....looked like the brakes weren't too flash. 

They by-pass EGR for more performance along with chipping ECU's and modifying exhaust system.

It basically gives a bit certainty noise ???? but unless there is stage modifications actually done on the engine itself a waste of time.