Isuzu Dmax Engine malfunction light

Kenny202

Got the little orange engine malfunction light coming on. No problems with vehicle at all. Engine running perfectly. Took it to Isuzu this morning and they said its  Engine exhaust gas system regulator, which to me sounds like a filter or something to trap larger exhaust particles? Could be wrong. Anyway Isuzu wanting 6000 baht to replace it. The mechanic said it's not an immediate problem but if not repaired will effect acceleration etc in the future. Anyone have any in sight into this?

2014 Dmax / Vcross 2.4 Deisel

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Anyway Isuzu wanting 6000 baht to replace it. The mechanic said it's not an immediate problem but if not repaired will effect acceleration etc 

Get a second opinion.

Not sure about your model but my 1.9 engine light came on and it was about a filter and our Cockpit local outlet clean it when I took it for servicing no charge. 

Yeah I did see that. I seen them for about 3000 - 3500. I think its possible to clean them too. Given them the go ahead. Always pay a premium at the dealers but you would hope they would have more experience that the private blokes

25 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought all modern cars were computer controlled, never heard of anyone wiv a code reader.......????

I have one, tells you what the code is, and you just reset it! Saves a fortune and time waiting at a garage! 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

If it's this the price is about right....EGR 

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve....

Screenshot_2022-09-01-12-49-16-77_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Had the same problem on my diesel. Mechanic told me take it out on the road and give a right rev up in third gear, helps to clean it, and you should see lots of black smoke coming out of the exhaust! Failing that, strip down the EGR, soak in diesel and clean out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

Had the same problem on my diesel. Mechanic told me take it out on the road and give a right rev up in third gear, helps to clean it, and you should see lots of black smoke coming out of the exhaust! Failing that, strip down the EGR, soak in diesel and clean out. 

Yeah I did read they could be cleaned but not sure if a short term thing or not. We usually travel distances when we do drive so need it to be reliable. If I were more mechanical and knew what the thing actually did I would probably be more inclined to save a bit of money 

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah I did see that. I seen them for about 3000 - 3500. I think its possible to clean them too. Given them the go ahead. Always pay a premium at the dealers but you would hope they would have more experience that the private blokes

They cleaned a filter on my Isuzu but I think the older Isuzu's maybe can't be cleaned. 

I heard as well they get clodded up cause people don't rev the engine enough.

53 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah I did read they could be cleaned but not sure if a short term thing or not. We usually travel distances when we do drive so need it to be reliable. If I were more mechanical and knew what the thing actually did I would probably be more inclined to save a bit of money 

It recirculates some exhaust gases back through the engine to make the gases in the combustion chamber run hotter for a more complete combustion cycle....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

I thought all modern cars were computer controlled, never heard of anyone wiv a code reader.......????

Then how do you know what the Check Engine lite says ?

Or just run to the dealer ?

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You can't reset an EGR with a coder. 

You can find out what the code is for tho' - that is why it is called a 'Code reader"

You can delete the trouble codes - all of them. For every system. Unless you have a POS like a MB or BMW or certain others which force you to go to the dealer to charge you outrageous prices for the smallest things.

Seems like you don't have one either

2 minutes ago, seedy said:

It tells you in the handbook, gives you a ball park reason for the warning light, in many cases it tells you to take it to the main agent as it could be serious. 

Gone are the days when we could tinker with many a problem.

Even our weeee Suzuki, took it to them to sort a minor idle problem, a simple fix in the old days, but after cleaning the throttle body it was plugged into their diagnostic thingy where he adjusted the tick over etc, and looked for any problems with the rest of the engine and trans, bit hi-tech for me but took a couple of minutes....???? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, seedy said:

Well for the 98% of us who don't carry a computer analyzer in our pocket, know where to plug it in and use it, nor enough mechanical experience or even the tools to repair ..... we'd have to run to the dealer anyway.

What is the point of your smarmy self ingratiating posts....apart from "look at me, look at me" 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, seedy said:

You can find out what the code is for tho' - that is why it is called a 'Code reader"

You can delete the trouble codes - all of them. For every system. Unless you have a POS like a MB or BMW or certain others which force you to go to the dealer to charge you outrageous prices for the smallest things.

Seems like you don't have one either

Don't need one I have Cockpit ???? and my lastest Isuzu doesn't have a problem with EGR filters like older models. 

A code readers no good for my bike thank goodness. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kildonan said:

I have one, tells you what the code is, and you just reset it! Saves a fortune and time waiting at a garage! 

How does it "save a fortune and time waiting at a garage" if the car has to be taken to a garage for repair anyway?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And that fixes the problem?  Nah, don't think so, Kwasaki was right, a faulty EGR cannot be reset.

I reckon his talking about fuel setting problems or maybe sensor problems he obviously doesn't understand a EGR problem and he must know that filters have to be replaced or cleaned out as in my case which our local Cockpit did for me free. . 

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's what most people do.

And get bent over - up to you.

Me - I trust no dealers. I want to find out myself what is wrong, as the dealer will do nothing - most times - but throw parts at it.

Case in point - my Isuzu tripped a check engine light. Got to MHS and stopped into the dealership. Service not busy so they looked right away. Need a new turbo I was told.

It was a sensor that was bad.

Those that rely on B-Q or dealers - the big box stores thank you !!! 555

Most probably a gummed-up EGR valve. The valve has a lift sensor and if EG flow rate is insufficient for the reported lift then a fault code is set.  Replacement with an OE part is the long term fix.  If a customer is on a very tight budget then we clean with Mr Muscle oven cleaner. ฿6k sounds very reasonable if its a genuine Isuzu part. I would go with that.

Fortunately I have friend in the UK who makes a living doing this  kind of work , The codes that are spewed out by code readers often do not indicate accurately the nature of the problem Generally speaking further diagnostic work is required.   I used to own a vauxhall vectra  and lost count of the number of false alarms the system would throw out

One time the car was put into "limp home mode" by the system, the resulting code advised that the engine management computer required replacing, (ouch) The actual reason was a badly corroded terminal at the reversing light ! (phew) 

Imagine what opportunities this presents for an unscrupulous dealer 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Fortunately I have friend in the UK who makes a living doing this  kind of work , The codes that are spewed out by code readers often do not indicate accurately the nature of the problem Generally speaking further diagnostic work is required.   I used to own a vauxhall vectra  and lost count of the number of false alarms the system would throw out

One time the car was put into "limp home mode" by the system, the resulting code advised that the engine management computer required replacing, (ouch) The actual reason was a badly corroded terminal at the reversing light ! (phew) 

Imagine what opportunities this presents for an unscrupulous dealer 

I believe in Thailand most main dealerships are franchise's and my experience is there must be some good ones along with the badly run ones. 

Never found a Toyota dealer that was competent apart from basic servicing. 

Our local Isuzu dealership is just as bad they just seem to want you spending more money than require. 

I have always felt fortunate to have our local Cockpit who's franchise management and spanners have been very good over the years and check everything I want not what they want and will bring to your attention on something they find if anything when checking the vehicle over so you are aware.