Returning to Thailand after 6 weeks away (1 entry to thailand this year only)

Hi all,

I'm planning to go back to my rental house in Chiang Mai on the 16th of September with a visa exemption (6 weeks in Europe in total).  So far, I only have 1 entry in Thailand this year (through the Nong Khai crossing) which was in March earlier this year and had a 30 days extension + a 60 day Covid extension (because plane ticket prices back to Europe were unpayable at the time I stayed in Thailand longer than planned).

Prior to that I was stuck in Laos for exactly 2 years (which makes my passport contain a lot of "covid extensions" from Laos on a LOT of different pages, not sure if that matters but I better mention it as it is a neighboring country).

Is there a risk for me to get denied entry ? Except for this year's entry and the two extensions mentioned above while being in Thailand, my last previous entry in Thailand was in January 2020.

I'll be caring my rental contract with me at the airport as well as 20k Baht equivalent in cash.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Edited by RedReding

If you were only in Thailand since March (after years away) I concur that you will be fine. Those who recently spent over two years in Thailand on Covid extensions would need to worry if returning visa exempt, especially through the Bangkok airports.

17 hours ago, RedReding said:

(because plane ticket prices back to Europe were unpayable at the time I stayed in Thailand longer than planned).

You shouldn't have any problem, welcome back soon.

However, the above sentence struck me. The reasons for staying longer are your own, no criticism, but around the time you mention prices were very reasonable. I remember because I bought a ticket myself. Basic eco with LH one way was about 10,000B. Prices sky-rocketed from July.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RedReding said:

Is there a risk for me to get denied entry ? Except for this year's entry and the two extensions mentioned above while being in Thailand, my last previous entry in Thailand was in January 2020.

So you are expecting members to post positive comments (like no risk, please come, you allowed by the law). Nobody really knows. Posters can only guess. Though there is no law to deny you entry but the entry to every country is dependent on the IOs. He can always deny entry. And you have access to an appeal system. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

And you have access to an appeal system. 

Should have access to an appeal system (under Section 22 of the Immigration Act). However, it has seemed in recent years that Immigration will prevent you from using the appeal system (at least, at some airports) unless you are able to contact a good immigration lawyer, by phone, to issue the appeal on your behalf.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your valuable answers. I've entered Thailand on Saturday and as expected it was a very smooth process.

The IO even mentioned that if I re-enter from October 1st, 45 days will be given to tourist eligible for a visa exempt.

By the way, I didn't receive hence didn't fill a TM 6 Departure/Arrival card upon arrival. Is that normal ?

18 minutes ago, RedReding said:

I see. I guess it won't be asked to provide one to get a 30 extension in that case ?

Immigration is not asking for the TM6 when applying for a extension if you entered the country after they stopped doing them.