Fourth COVID vaccine shot substantially reduces risk of pneumonitis and death

webfact

11 minutes ago, connda said:

So does Favipiravir, Molnupiravir, and Paxlovid (soon to be availabe OTC in the Thai pharmacies) with more therapeutics for Covid in the pipeline. 

Favipiravir is approved for use and used in Thailand with COVID patients.

However, it's NOT approved as a COVID treatment in most other major countries in the world, including the U.S. and the UK....

And the scientific evidence of its actual effectiveness is lacking.

What it is, though, is a relatively cheap drug that Thailand acquired the rights to produce domestically without having to buy from foreign drug companies.

AND

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Personally now that their are therapeutic antivirals available to control the severity of a Covid infection, I don't see the point to the shots - imho.  In my opinion however, do whatever you need to do to feel safe.

If you were an executive at Big Pharma, you'd see the point. There is an all brand-new vaccine with the catchy name of Bivalent coming out soon, and if everyone felt like you it could be a flop.

"As Thailand enters a post-pandemic era, with the virus being reclassified as communicable disease under watch..."

So have they classified Covid as a communicable disease under watch yet, or is that in still being discussed?

8 minutes ago, connda said:

"As Thailand enters a post-pandemic era, with the virus being reclassified as communicable disease under watch..."

So have they classified Covid as a communicable disease under watch yet, or is that in still being discussed?

Slated for October, I believe, if nothing else changes in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The original COVID vaccines were very effective at preventing transmission of the original version of the coronavirus, as advertised.... Then in latter months, the virus mutated to different forms...

The latter versions of the virus were able to escape the transmission protections of the vaccines to a larger extent. But the vaccines still even today significantly protect against serious illness and death from COVID.

From my perspective, it's better to largely prevent having serious illness from COVID in the first place via easily obtainable and free COVID vaccines vs. having to pay for the various imported anti-virals that have more limitations, more drug interaction concerns, and not any greater effectiveness than vaccines.

The antivirals are best being used as a treatment in the instances of so-called breakthrough COVID infections in the already vaccinated, and not as a substitute or replacement for COVID vaccines.

New COVID Antivirals Do Not Replace the Need to Vaccinate

"The most valuable asset we have in the fight against COVID-19 is still unequivocally vaccination, and the presence of effective drugs doesn’t change that."

"COVID antivirals, like monoclonal antibodies before them, are not a substitute for vaccinations. They are a complement to vaccines, and they serve an important function."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-covid-antivirals-do-not-replace-the-need-to-vaccinate/

tHE vAccIneS sToP tRansMisSion

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Me & the mrs haven't, so where are you getting your info ??

No idea...but I would say only about 1/10 of my students have had diagnosed covid - that is, perhaps 2-3 students per class. Byt they test each Sunday by atk and wear masks at school. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:34 PM, Kevin Taylor said:

How do they come up with these numbers ? Everyone has had covid now so who are they comparing the data against.

I haven't, nor has Mrs. T, though someone on here said I have but didn't know it..................????

Depends hugely on how old you are, what sex you are, and whether you have co-morbidities such as obesity, diabetes, dementia, previous heart or respiratory conditions.

So you don't need to reveal anything you don't want to, the UK Office of National Statistics is one of the world's better resources.

Edited by Eleftheros
Link added

Just now, Eleftheros said:

Depends hugely on how old you are, what sex you are, and whether you have co-morbities such as obesity, diabetes, dementia, previous heart or respiratory conditions.

Yes there are a lot of them inluding asthma, HIV, cancer, kidney desease, its a very long list

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Favipiravir is approved for use and used in Thailand with COVID patients.

However, it's NOT approved as a COVID treatment in most other major countries in the world, including the U.S. and the UK....

And the scientific evidence of its actual effectiveness is lacking.

What it is, though, is a relatively cheap drug that Thailand acquired the rights to produce domestically without having to buy from foreign drug companies.

AND

It's been reported that it's very difficult to get antiviral medication,

The government as usual is gumming things up most likely to make some side money.

"COVID patients caught in crossfire of battle over drug monopoly"

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-patients-caught-in-crossfire-of-battle-over-drug-monopoly/

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Hopefully they'll have the newer vaccines available.

If not maybe the 5th.

You make it sound like you're being inconvenienced.  Be thankful that they even have vaccines for the pandemic.

If you're to bothered to take the few minutes for a vaccine that may save your life then stay home.

You are making several completely fact-free assumptions about what I think and about my vaccination status.

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

Depends hugely on how old you are, what sex you are, and whether you have co-morbidities such as obesity, diabetes, dementia, previous heart or respiratory conditions.

So you don't need to reveal anything you don't want to, the UK Office of National Statistics is one of the world's better resources.

Thanks! (I assume you were replying to my question above).

Early 40s, male, normal weight, no health problems and hardly ever take medication, not even a paracetamol. I get enough sleep and vitamin D, drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruit and veg and hardly any gluten.

• Like 1

One of the problems is the vast disparity in data between different countries - is it really plausible that Nigeria, population 100m+, has only suffered 3,148 deaths from Covid?

According to the respected journal The Lancet, the 40-49 age group had an infection fatality rate in the Delta phase of about 1 in 700. But many of those dying in that age group would have had one or more comorbidities.

With Omicron, obviously, the risk is significantly lower and as you say you're in good health and at the younger end of the age group, the fatality rate would be much lower than that.

Let me stress that I am not giving you medical advice, I am not a doctor, and I don't doubt that there are other research studies with somewhat different results.

But the data I have given seems to be in the general ballpark of other research, and The Lancet is regarded as generally reliable.

5 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

catchy name of Bivalent

It's named that precisely because it's Bivalent.

The "Big Pharma" name used by antivaxx people is about as original as calling Bangkok "the Big Mango".

Here's the definition so that you'll better understand  about second generation vaccines. 

"stimulating an immune response against two different antigens"

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/bivalent-vaccine

Edited by MrJ2U

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

The "Big Pharma" name used by antivaxx people is about as original as calling Bangkok "the Big Mango".

It's a term used a lot more widely than by "antivaxx" people, as widely as the terms Big Oil and Big Tobacco.

Not only is it a convenient shorthand used by the press, but it's also in the dictionary .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

It's a term used a lot more widely than by "antivaxx" people, as widely as the terms Big Oil and Big Tobacco.

Not only is it a convenient shorthand used by the press, but it's also in the dictionary .

Recently used to death by right wing conspiracy theorists who play down the pandemic.

Mostly antivaxx groups. 

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

We're still in a pandemic.

Luckily you don't have any loved ones or people that depend on you.  So your demise only effects you. 

Of course we are.

My demise is not happening though. Imminent, do you reckon? I mean, what is my life expectancy, realistically?

• Haha 1