Farang Friendly Places To Rent (house) Chiang Mai

Lizphuket

Single English lady been living in Phuket for more than 3 years. Wanting to get away for a more peaceful/less crowded life. Considering Chiang Mai but want info on which areas would be suitable/safe for me. I do have a Thai boyfriend (but he may not be coming with me!). Have own transport and furniture. Need a house suitable for 4 cats and 2 dogs, preferably with an established garden.

Have been thinking about buying but somewhat concerned about the future for farangs in Thailand.

Lizphuket

Have been thinking about buying but somewhat concerned about the future for farangs in Thailand.

Lizphuket

What's the concern about the future of farangs in Thailand compared with anywhere else (other than "home"?)

I've not seen any major change in the last 10 years - well not in a negative way - probably more positive.

If you have transport, start off in one of the moobahns renting and then you can look around. A lot of people I know end up buying in the same moobahn they rent in (that is of course if they like it).

If 2 big dogs try somewhere with a lot of garden, unfortunately not always available in the moobahns but they are to be had. Some moobahns more peaceful than others of course. Good luck!!

The housing market is soft in Chiang Mai right now.. and alot of deals on rentals to be had. I love it here but have never been to your neck of the woods. Now is the best time to come looking, low season and some houses have been sitting empty for some time. Land lady rented her house out for 8k a month and it would have been perfect for you. But that got snapped up fast. If I had two big dogs, I would choose to be outside the city with housing that gives you extra space so your dogs can get outside more.

I have a small house ... 3 bedroom two bath, garden and carport and I pay 5K a month. Do some research and I am sure you can find what your looking for.

Two questions... do you have a car and whats your budget.

Lizphuket

What's the concern about the future of farangs in Thailand compared with anywhere else (other than "home"?)

I've not seen any major change in the last 10 years - well not in a negative way - probably more positive.

Having been involved in running a night club here in Phuket, I have experienced the tough side of being a farang here vis police etc. Also I understand the loophole re Thai registered companies buying is now not an option. Many people here uncertain about what might happen after election etc etc. If I go for the 30 year lease option what are the risks?

Lizphuket

If you have transport, start off in one of the moobahns renting and then you can look around. A lot of people I know end up buying in the same moobahn they rent in (that is of course if they like it).

If 2 big dogs try somewhere with a lot of garden, unfortunately not always available in the moobahns but they are to be had. Some moobahns more peaceful than others of course. Good luck!!

Can you be a bit more specific about 'moobahns'? I understand the term in a Thai language context. Have visited Chiang Mai several times now. Ruled out Mae Rim area (too close for comfort to family of boyfriend). Just trying to get a steer on any areas to avoid/consider. Did what you suggested when I first came to Phuket. Hated Patong, moved on to another area which turned out to be a bit unsafe for farangs after tsunami.

The housing market is soft in Chiang Mai right now.. and alot of deals on rentals to be had. I love it here but have never been to your neck of the woods. Now is the best time to come looking, low season and some houses have been sitting empty for some time. Land lady rented her house out for 8k a month and it would have been perfect for you. But that got snapped up fast. If I had two big dogs, I would choose to be outside the city with housing that gives you extra space so your dogs can get outside more.

I have a small house ... 3 bedroom two bath, garden and carport and I pay 5K a month. Do some research and I am sure you can find what your looking for.

Two questions... do you have a car and whats your budget.

One dog medium sized ex-temple dog, the other a shitzu (i.e. small). I loved gardening in England and want somewhere where I have the space to develop a tropical garden area. Yes, I have a car which I am likely to get driven up by a friend so I am mobile but I have been advised (by a Thai friend) to be careful not to live anywhere too isolated from a safety point of view. I think outside the city somewhere like Mae Cho might be a possibility. In terms of budget, I am paying 25,000 baht a month here in Phuket so anything under that would be a saving. Money is not really the issue (lucky me) I just want to get some quality of life - which is what I came to Thailand for in the first place. Have had fun here but have learnt a lot the hard way!

Regards

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125469 Look at post # 11. I had 3 dogs when i lived there years ago. Very suited for our canine cousins..

Thanks for the link. Think I am looking for something out of town. Clearly need to do a bit more research and then visit for a week or so and make a decision. The thought of moving house contents, animals, car and everything else is a bit daunting but I am sure Chiang Mai is the right place for me.

Regards

Can you be a bit more specific about 'moobahns'?

Sorry it's what a lot of people use to refer to the gated communities.

If you don't want to be close to Mae Rim try south of town in Hang Dong area.

There is lots of space/trees in Ban Wangtan, and a few people I have met who wouldn't particularly favour living in a gated community have rented there because the atmosphere is so different to the normal places where houses are completely filling every space.

I'll be moving back to CM from Phayao soon, at least part-time, & I'm looking for something like this north of the city (Mae Rim, Mae Jo, San Sai). I have time to look around those areas on the weekends, but it'd be nice to narrow my search a bit if possible. Can anybody recommend a specific moobahn outside the city to the north?

Having been involved in running a night club here in Phuket, I have experienced the tough side of being a farang here vis police etc.

Well, I'm not sure that not being Thai is much of an issue here. As soon as you run a business in an industry where (having to) bend the law is common, then you can expect your regular dealings with the constabulary; it's no different when you're a Thai business owner in a dodgy industry. The other reason why 'nightlife' is about the least suitable industry to be in is that getting a work permit for it is a lot harder. So then you find yourself bending the law there too, even just going to Tesco's to get new lightbulbs for your shop.

Trying to manage property through a fake company: Same, if you try to circumvent / bend the law then you're putting yourself in a vulnerable position. What's wrong with renting anyway; the only real reason to buy was as part of building a family which would often involve a Thai significant other who can then own the property; if money isn't that huge an issue and everyone is committed to the relationship then just go for that, keeping in mind what the worst case scenario is. You could do the lease-thing of course.. That adds some security though you're not as secure as in the West largely because no matter how you look at it, Thailand is a banana-anarchy when it comes to laws and security. If you don't like that: Plenty available to rent.

Ruled out Mae Rim area (too close for comfort to family of boyfriend)

Heh, I specifically selected a side of town BECAUSE I like to be somewhat close to my wife's family. If anyone is thinking of visiting/staying too long then the Mrs. is always the first to kick them out again. :o

Edited by chanchao

I'll be moving back to CM from Phayao soon, at least part-time, & I'm looking for something like this north of the city (Mae Rim, Mae Jo, San Sai). I have time to look around those areas on the weekends, but it'd be nice to narrow my search a bit if possible. Can anybody recommend a specific moobahn outside the city to the north?

Pimuk 1 and Pimuk 2 close 5ish km from the city j/o Mae Jo road 2 km to Rimping (farang supermarket) and mechock fresh food market also on Mae Jo road is Land and House (5k-50k a month) 8-10 km to city but prices will be higher than 5k a month unless you are prepared to live in a small town house.Also 2-3 houses for rent on the moo baan i live on Wong Bua Tong 12ish km from city on Mae Jo road. There are always houses for rent signs up around Mae Jo. Land and House is probably the most secure and best kept of all and has all the facilities you will need eg mini mart/food stalls/laundry/gym/snooker tables/sauna etc etc and the best communal swimmimg pool i have seen on any moo baan, but all of this obviously comes at a price 10-12k minimum for nice house with garden 20-25k+ if you want this with all the extras.