does the US embassy in Bangkok issue certificates of residence?

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/

Fill out the affidavit with whatever you desire.  The notary will not confirm it, nor ask for supporting documentation.  The notary is certifying only that you are the individual that made the statement and signed the form.

You will need to book an appointment for notarial services.

https://evisaforms.state.gov/Instructions/ACSSchedulingSystem.asp

• Like 1

For $50 they do.  It is basically just a notorization of your statement of address.

As others have already said you can get it from your local immigration office for free.  But need more paperwork and a photo now.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I suspect whoever is requiring a certificate of residence would balk upon seeing a piece of paper from the US embassy. 

It would have been clear if the OP had stated reason for residence certificate.

He has a thread in motorcycles asking about registration so guessing that's what it's for.

If so embassy letter would work.

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It would have been clear if the OP had stated reason for residence certificate.

He has a thread in motorcycles asking about registration so guessing that's what it's for.

If so embassy letter would work.

Not where I'm from. I JUST went to buy a motorbike at one of the Hondas in Chanthaburi and they told me they needed the letter from immigration.

Yes. Did one there 3 years ago. $50 USD for Notary service. CW INSISTED on a 90-day Report to process the CofR. At that time, I had never stayed over 90 days even with "Retirement Visa". Went to the embassy and was given a notarized affidavit equivalent, which served the purpose. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yes. Did one there 3 years ago. $50 USD for Notary service. CW INSISTED on a 90-day Report to process the CofR. At that time, I had never stayed over 90 days even with "Retirement Visa". Went to the embassy and was given a notarized affidavit equivalent, which served the purpose. 

Indeed. 

Prior to covid I was never in Thailand for more than a month.

Hence for 7 years no 90 report and as a result could not get residence certificate from CW.

The issue for Oz folk is that AU embassy does not provide that service.

No surprise there. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Not where I'm from. I JUST went to buy a motorbike at one of the Hondas in Chanthaburi and they told me they needed the letter from immigration.

Not familiar with that.

I wonder if it's just that region that insists upon residence certificate from immigration. 

I know the embassy letter is fine for TDL and Bank Account etc

• Thanks 1

Based on my experience using both the English-language US Embassy affadavit and the Thai-language Immo/CW certificate of residence -- either one satifies the Land Transport office doing the vehicle/license permits.

But your mileage may vary.