How can they make a profit ?

Custard boy

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes Trans, a new Mr DIY has just opened in my village and it is really cheap as you say, only one downside, I bought an electric shaver for about 200Bt hoping to get a couple of months out of it. I tried it out and it did not shave very well at all, just a pity I did not keep the receipt.

I did the same,  with the same result

• Thanks 1

I don't know if have Walmart.com anywhere else, but I got refunded my junk (pinching, low power) shaver and got to keep it..better than Amazon

I'm coming over there soon, so appreciate the stores mentioned here..sure love those rubber mats! Alohoho 

The Chinese Government pay the shipping charges from China to Bangkok Airport

Some while ago I purchased 4 off special RF transmitters from the Chinese factory direct.

Each transmitter was $4 . Shipping  $24.

No help from Chinese Government for me.

The Power of Lazada is illustrated in the OP's example

Edited by Delight
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, Woof999 said:

It comes from a location where the workers involved are probably paid very little and have few rights.

A bit of a generalisation there which also highlights my own hypocrisy as I've bought from Chinese suppliers on Lazada at least twice this week.

'Few rights...' Well to some extent true in the past re China but not so much today.

Unfortunately 'paid very little and have few rights' is common in many countries.

How many Thais have no employment contract, nave no rights, get paid late and/or their salary cut for unkown reasons.

And similar in many countries.

How many stories have we all read about Thai fruit pickers etc., being cheated out of their rightful wages in: Scandinavian countries, Australia, the middle East countries, Israel, and the USA and more?

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

'Few rights...' Well to some extent true in the past re China but not so much today.

Rights is always an odd call from western people,

As a white middle class male in the UK I appeared to have no rights at all.

Which is why I moved to Thailand where I have many more 'rights'.

I was also in China for a while, and appeared to have more 'rights' than I did in the UK.

I think it's really great to be able to buy direct from China with no tax.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, Delight said:

The Chinese Government pay the shipping charges from China to Bangkok Airport

Some while ago I purchased 4 off special RF transmitters from the Chinese factory direct.

Each transmitter was $4 . Shipping  $24.

No help from Chinese Government for me.

The Power of Lazada is illustrated in the OP's example

No way , really ......................... the Chinese Government pay the shipping charges from China to Bangkok Airport????

1 hour ago, Custard boy said:

the Chinese Government pay the shipping charges from China to Bangkok Airport

That's the way the Universal Postal Union (previously General Postal Union) has worked since 1874. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

Every sending country pays to have its mail delivered to the destination country.  The sending country then reimburses the recipient country for local delivery through a system of "terminal dues" that are periodically adjusted. 

In 2010 "the United States Postal Service made a $275 million surplus on international mail," and as a net exporter of mail "voted with the developing countries to keep terminal dues low" : 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union#Shifting_balances_and_the_United_States

After the US lost money in the 'teens, it threatened to withdraw from the UPU.  The rules were changed in 2019 (by unanimous vote of 192 member countries) to phase in recipient-country control of the terminal dues system:

https://www.upu.int/en/News/2019/9/UPU-member-countries-reach-unanimous-agreement-on-postal-remuneration-rates

-- Retiree

Edited by retiree

On 9/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, Custard boy said:

What am I missing ?

Mass production aside, there is likely little input protection (thermistors, power resistors, HRC fuses etc) on that device... not an issue when checking wattage with the clamp, but I would avoid testing anything other than low voltage systems through the leads. Certainly wouldn't go probing three phase power circuitry as there's a high probability it will blow up in your face. Build quality and drop protection will be non-existent and the leads and accuracy will also be naff--these points are what typically contribute to a meter's expense, along with sound input protection. But as long as you're happy and avoid measuring mains voltage, then ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1