AAA International Driving Permit Question.

Loinx22

Hello All,

Just got my International Driver Permit from AAA.  Noticed on the "document" that they gave me has French writing on it (see pic).  

1.  Why?

2. Is this supposed to be Thai writing as I clearly stated I would be using in Thailand?

I dunno, anyone have experience with this?

AAA.jpg

Just now, TheLaughingMan said:

American Automobile Association?  In Canada our document is in enlgish with a bunch of pages in chinese, french, spanish etc because the document can be used all over the world and those are the main languages, but Thai is not a very important language so would not be included, they dont custom make the document for you its the same document everyone gets regardless of where they are travelling.  But youre saying your main pages are all in french?  Thats odd

It's mostly in English.  Was just wondering why the rest was in French?  No other language.  

Just now, Loinx22 said:

It's mostly in English.  Was just wondering why the rest was in French?  No other language.  

Well the English is the required part by Thailand so you are covered but that is a bit strange AAA is giving out IDP with just english and French, I guess most americans use it to drive in Canada which would explain that.

• Like 1

Just now, TheLaughingMan said:

Well the English is the required part by Thailand so you are covered but that is a bit strange AAA is giving out IDP with just english and French, I guess most americans use it to drive in Canada which would explain that.

Oui, je suis Loinx!  LOL.  Ok, thank you for the input!

From Wikipedia:

The last two inside pages shall be printed in French, and pages preceding those two pages shall repeat the first of them in several languages, which must include English, Russian and Spanish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

The origin of the treaties go back to Paris which might have something to do with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

The origin of the treaties go back to Paris which might have something to do with it.

See, I saw something about multiple languages before applying (along the lines of what you quoted) but only English and French on the document, which had me wondering.  

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The English tells other countries what you can drive.

Did you get the IDP using a French DL.? 

IDPs always have french in them. He got it from AAA (American Automobile Association) so it can't be a french license because you can get an IDP only from your home country.

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

IDPs always have french in them. He got it from AAA (American Automobile Association) so it can't be a french license because you can get an IDP only from your home country.

OK thanks I have never had to bother with IDP's when working abroad so never had or seen one. 

Mine was in English and French, but then it had a bunch of papers stapled in it with translation to many languages, including Thai.

When getting it, I was told by the lady issuing me with it that there were 2 types of it and she had to look up which one Thailand recognised. It was only 1 year validity one, not the ... whatever the other one was... 2 years, 3 years, don't know.

But as said, the one I've got had Thai translation stapled in.

Edited by tomazbodner

On 9/3/2022 at 3:29 AM, Loinx22 said:

Just got my International Driver Permit from AAA.  Noticed on the "document" that they gave me has French writing on it (see pic).  

Nothing new there.  An old one of mine issued in the UK in 2011 is exactly the same.