Foreigner Kills Two Teenage Girls In Songkhla Crash

webfact

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Any accident in Thailand, if a child is injured you are at fault and liable.

Where did you get that nonsense from?

A mate of mine had an accident. 

A couple of kids riding a Honda wave crashed into him while he stopped at traffic light waiting for the green light.

It cost him alot of money, these kids were in hospital for a few weeks. 

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The fact that a foreigner this time did it, should not make a difference. 

What fact is there that the foreigner did anything to be blamed for?   In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, how about rephrasing your comment to: "The fact that a Thai girl this time did it, should not make a difference"?

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My impression from the video is that the motorcycle - according to the report, and not a scooter - was going very, very fast. Other opinions may differ.

When maneuvering in this situation you need to check 4 times, right-left, then right again before you start moving, then left again before you cross the other lane, and still have your foot on the break ready for emergency stop as they just appear out of nowhere.

It applies outside Thailand too, I'm just as wary on European roads as there are motorcycles at much higher speeds than here and an impact like that is deadly in most cases.

RIP.

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

A couple of kids riding a Honda wave crashed into him while he stopped at traffic light waiting for the green light.

Interesting, how did he end up having to pay if he was clearly not at fault? Just wondering how I could potentially avoid this happening to me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Hopefully if its his fault he'll do 20 years plus stay behind bars until he pays millions to the parents.

Certainly his life is over big time.

Why are you suggesting a sentence more in line with premeditated murder for a road accident that was related to inattention (careless ) rather than dangerous. A momentary misjudgment with catastrophic consequences that can happen to anyone but no question of malice .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Why are you suggesting a sentence more in line with premeditated murder for a road accident that was related to inattention (careless ) rather than dangerous. A momentary misjudgment with catastrophic consequences that can happen to anyone but no question of malice .

A lot of supposition there. I don't want to say much because I opened my mouth on the Samui garbage truck accident and I was wrong after seeing the video. In this case, if the driver was in Australia he'd probably be looking at something like culpable negligence causing death. There's going to be a lot of outrage over this.

The video also shows him not immediately stopping but running over something, either the bike or a person. He may have killed someone doing this. He was required to stop totally, completely and immediately.

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

That's very harsh. By looks of the video footage, the car driver failed to give way.

just watched the vid. looks like he did the typical Aussie driver manoeuvre and gunned it out of the driveway instead of inching out slowly like most Thais do. I suspected this as soon as I read that the driver was an Aussie. is why I don't trust farang in vehicle over here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If you are stopped at a light, and anyone runs into you, they are at fault, period. Unless the judge was completely corrupt or plainly an idiot, the person moving is wrong, and has to pay for damages. If this happened, an inquiry should have been opened, and a higher authority involved to decide. I know this is Thailand, and way behind in a  lot of things, but letting a judge get away with this is ludicrous. Same thing if someone hits you in the back. They are always at fault, unless you jammed on the brakes intentionally, and let them run into you, which has to be proven, and is pretty much impossible. A driver that runs into anyone ahead of them is following too closely, and any good lawyer can end that debate, along with the previous one. As far as anyone spending time in jail for this offense, to be charged with a crime, intoxication or under the influence of drugs is the only way. This man made a deadly mistake, and his conscious, if he has one, will bother him for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

just watched the vid. looks like he did the typical Aussie driver manoeuvre and gunned it out of the driveway instead of inching out slowly like most Thais do. I suspected this as soon as I read that the driver was an Aussie. is why I don't trust farang in vehicle over here.

It's also how all drivers in Australia are required to exit a T junction with limited lateral view. Slowly and carefully.

The headline seems accurate reporting a foreigner killed 

2 teenagers.

It certainly appears the Aussie foreigner acted with gross negligence causing the sad death of these young girls.  The Aussie foreigner in my opinion should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.  A sentence in the range of 5 years plus, seems appropriate for his horrific negligent actions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coxy said:

Very sad news again and from what I can see the SUV driver is in the wrong

yet again three young girls on one bike !!!!!!!!  Parents have to take some responsibility

RIP young ones  

Without being able to envisage who should have been where and when, I can't comment on who was at fault for the accident. All I can say is that it should be illegal for three people too be riding the same motorbike. However, in this country who knows. All I do know is that the Aussie will be found to be responsible. Legally, here a car never comes of best in this sort of situation.

RIP to the poor young'ns killed, having three daughters of my own, I can't imagine what their poor parents are going through. 

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

the arrogance of foreigners in Thailand - they are <deleted> drivers yet think it is the others - how bad can you get?

Been driving over 2 1/2 million miles, way over the 700K the average drivers do, and in almost all US states, Mexico, and here, and sorry to say, this country definitely has the worse drivers I've ever seen. Most people I've known in 66 years are pretty safe, defensive drivers, mainly because the tests in the US are a lot harder than here, the education level is far higher, and if you break the laws, you are penalized with money,the thing that hurts the most, or in the case of drunk drivers, can lose your license for up to a year.. Foreigner accidents here are a tiny percentage of what happens annually.

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Been driving over 2 1/2 million miles, way over the 700K the average drivers do, and in almost all US states, Mexico, and here, and sorry to say, this country definitely has the worse drivers I've ever seen. Most people I've known in 66 years are pretty safe, defensive drivers, mainly because the tests in the US are a lot harder than here, the education level is far higher, and if you break the laws, you are penalized with money,the thing that hurts the most, or in the case of drunk drivers, can lose your license for up to a year.. Foreigner accidents here are a tiny percentage of what happens annually.

Almost everything you assume about road safety is wrong.

As said it is the arrogance (and ignorance) of foreign drivers that contributes so much to the dangers on our roads.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Almost everything you assume about road safety is wrong.

As said it is the arrogance (and ignorance) of foreign drivers that contributes so much to the dangers on our roads.

Actually, I don't assume nor make opinions on anything, but state from statistics, facts and personal experience. Yes, many people are arrogant, but that doesn't make them bad drivers. Bad drivers come from lack of experience, drivers tests that are too easy, mild punishment for broken laws, lack of enforcement of said laws, corruption which leads to that lack of enforcement, distraction while driving, You make blanket statements about bad foreign drivers, thinking you know how many there are, and that drivers here are somehow better. Stats here say most of the accidents, especially fatal, are local drivers. Foreigners make the news because we are a minority, and stand out. What I stated was from watching the news in the US over 62 years, and riving there for 45 years. I've known many people who have driven for all of their lives and haven't had one accident. I myself have had a few, all but one of which were the other drivers fault, hitting me in the back or side. That one was me driving on snow when I was 17. I stay away from everyone , especially here, but still I get cut off daily, with scooter drivers making really bad decisions competing with a car, which is why a lot die here. There are millions of accidents yearly in every country, but this country is always at the top for fatal deaths, and for the reasons I stated before.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Any bike/rider, no mater what the riders skills, license, helmet etc, would probably be dead or seriously injured.

It is stated that for every 1km increase in speed, there is a 4-5% increase in risk of death and reducing from speed limit of 40 - 30km of 2/3rd of fatal crashes were avoided.

Ofcourse the driver was wrong its not debated but this thing is inevitable as long as road rules arent enforced.

https://acrs.org.au/newsroom/how-many-lives-could-be-saved-by-speed-limit-reductions/

SPEED KILLS

45 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually, I don't assume nor make opinions on anything, but state from statistics, facts and personal experience. Yes, many people are arrogant, but that doesn't make them bad drivers. Bad drivers come from lack of experience, drivers tests that are too easy, mild punishment for broken laws, lack of enforcement of said laws, corruption which leads to that lack of enforcement, distraction while driving, You make blanket statements about bad foreign drivers, thinking you know how many there are, and that drivers here are somehow better. Stats here say most of the accidents, especially fatal, are local drivers. Foreigners make the news because we are a minority, and stand out. What I stated was from watching the news in the US over 62 years, and riving there for 45 years. I've known many people who have driven for all of their lives and haven't had one accident. I myself have had a few, all but one of which were the other drivers fault, hitting me in the back or side. That one was me driving on snow when I was 17. I stay away from everyone , especially here, but still I get cut off daily, with scooter drivers making really bad decisions competing with a car, which is why a lot die here. There are millions of accidents yearly in every country, but this country is always at the top for fatal deaths, and for the reasons I stated before.

You are a classic example of the foreign driver who thinks they know everything but in reality understand nothing - my guess is that your "opinions" as you laughingly refer to them are so badly formed because you have few reading or comprehension skills. your comments on road safety are just cliches and on my postings are baseless.

Edited by Thunglom

10 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

my guess is that your "opinions" as you laughingly refer to them are so badly formed because you have few reading or comprehension skills. your comments on road safety are just cliches and on my postings are baseless.

And your guess would be an uneducated one, because like I said, I don't make opinions, because they aren't valid. No one knows everything, but some are educated on various subjects to the point where they are more knowledgeable than the average person.  As far as my reading and comprehension skills, you haven't a clue, being a daily reader after leaving high school. Going back to your first reply, what did I say about road safety that was wrong? I drove over 45 thousand miles a year, sometimes a lot more, and saw, and still see,  what's happening on the roads, along with daily news coverage that shows accidents, stats and facts about road safety and what's necessary to maintain it. Where's the base of your claim, besides prejudice?

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems like the Aussie driver was at fault for turning on the road when a bike was coming .

Really doesn't matter how fast the bike was going , he should have seen them coming and not turned out 

Is there a link to the video?

Were the girls wearing crash helmets?

3 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

When maneuvering in this situation you need to check 4 times, right-left, then right again before you start moving, then left again before you cross the other lane, and still have your foot on the break ready for emergency stop as they just appear out of nowhere.

It applies outside Thailand too, I'm just as wary on European roads as there are motorcycles at much higher speeds than here and an impact like that is deadly in most cases.

RIP.

You are right, of course. And, as I wrote in an earlier post to the one you quoted, the SUV driver was clearly to blame for the accident as he failed to do as you described.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

There's a link to the video at the bottom of page 3 .... the incident can be seen after about 20 seconds 

The girls had the right of way as they were going straight on the main road.

It's obvious that the foreigner was wrong, turning right without seeing incoming cars is wrong. I hope that Thai immigration ban this guy from coming to Thailand.