Best Options

1 hour ago, Eddie45 said:

So if I had 5 tourist visa's in my passport with multiple entries it wouldn't cause a problem when I applied for the retirement visa when I reach 50.

Elite visa is a good option if you can afford 600,000 baht (5 yrs)

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Elite visa is a good option if you can afford 600,000 baht (5 yrs)

IMO only if the budget doesn't matter at all. Otherwise, why? OP doesn't want to live here all these 5 years and the tourist visa should fit at the moment. If something changes, it'll be hard to miss

• Like 1

Filipina GF and I live in the Philippines but have ties to Thailand. For the 7 years Pre Covid we spent 5 months each year in Pattaya, where we had accom. 2 X 2 month tourist visa and one visa free entry. In those 7 years we never had one TR refused or one issue with Thai immigration

12 hours ago, Jerno said:

You will be thanked by Immigration upon your arrival each year for supporting the Kingdom's Tourism.  Make sure you spend at least a million Baht though each visit and tell Immigration you're a Big Spender, just like TAT wants to attract. 

Just flash 1 million Baht cash at the passport arrivals desk, in Bangkok and at any border entry points, you'll be fine. Maybe even get a nice fruit basket.

Edited by scorecard

15 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

So if I had 5 tourist visa's in my passport with multiple entries it wouldn't cause a problem when I applied for the retirement visa when I reach 50.

No issue.

Something to consider... maybe have an account in Thailand with the required deposit in place well before you apply for the retirement visa.

Maybe even 12 months prior to application.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No issue.

Something to consider... maybe have an account in Thailand with the required deposit in place well before you apply for the retirement visa.

Maybe even 12 months prior to application.

Don't understand.

Can't see any point in having funds in account early as for non O the 800k only needs to be in account on day of application.

Also needs to show the funds came from abroad and that would be simple with a transfer just prior to non O application. 

• Like 2

If I used all 3 entries on the Multi Entry Tourist visa and got the 3 30 day extensions that would mean I could potentially stay for 270 days. Would this cause a problem. At this stage i am only planning on staying for 180 days per year but its good to have the option to stay longer if I decided to change my plans.

12 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

If I used all 3 entries on the Multi Entry Tourist visa and got the 3 30 day extensions that would mean I could potentially stay for 270 days. Would this cause a problem. At this stage i am only planning on staying for 180 days per year but its good to have the option to stay longer if I decided to change my plans.

You can get a new 60 day entry just before the visa expires and then extend it for 30 days without a problem.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

But if i was spending 270 days of the year in Thailand on a tourist visa would this be an issue. 

There not be a problem since the is no written rule limiting the total stay on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand.

Can't see any point in having funds in account early as for non O the 800k only needs to be in account on day of application.

Also needs to show the funds came from abroad and that would be simple with a transfer just prior to non O application. 

In the case of 800K I agree, but what if he chooses the income method of 65K

they will want to see history of that?

45 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

In the case of 800K I agree, but what if he chooses the income method of 65K

they will want to see history of that?

Yes. 

To use income method he would need to show 12 month of transfers, so yes he could start that one year prior to applying for the non O.

Depends if his country provides embassy letter..

The 12 months transfers required if they do not. 

Edited by DrJack54

6 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

But if i was spending 270 days of the year in Thailand on a tourist visa would this be an issue. 

There would definitely be no problem if entering Thailand through most land crossings. At some airports, it has been known for officials to refuse to honour a tourist visa if, in their opinion, you are spending too much time in Thailand as a tourist. Thus, there is no law preventing this, but some immigration officials at some airports have decided to add their own private laws.

The 800,000  in the bank account for the retirement visa. I have read on the forum that its needs to be in your bank account for 2 months before you apply and another post said it just needs to be in there the day before you apply. Which is correct?

5 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

The 800,000  in the bank account for the retirement visa. I have read on the forum that its needs to be in your bank account for 2 months before you apply and another post said it just needs to be in there the day before you apply. Which is correct?

The day before you apply is for a non-o visa application done at immigration.

For a extension of stay application it is 2 months.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. What did we used to do before the internet. If you decide to deposit 65,000 a month in your bank account instead of the 800,000. Does the 65,000 need to come from a pension or is it okay just to come from your bank account in your home country.

2 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Does the 65,000 need to come from a pension or is it okay just to come from your bank account in your home country.

Some offices want proof of the source of your income. It can be a pension statement or a saving account in your home country.

If I show them the proof by producing a statement from my savings account in home country, are there any rules on how much should be in the savings account or do they just want to see the continuous 65,000 a month payments being made to my Thai Bank Account.

4 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

If I show them the proof by producing a statement from my savings account in home country, are there any rules on how much should be in the savings account or do they just want to see the continuous 65,000 a month payments being made to my Thai Bank Account.

Just the 65k baht transfers from the account.

• Like 1