Renting property in Pattaya/Jomtien area, help needed

delboy

We are both in our 70's and have been living in our own 1 bedroom bungalow, 40Km from Chiang Mai for 30 years.  We are forced to move from this house, and are considering a move to long stay rental accommodation in the Pattaya/Jomtien area.  We would prefer a 1 bedroom bungalow, but would consider a 1 bedroom appartment.  No need to be near the sea, but would appreciate at least a 7-11 nearby.  Any recommendations of areas to consider and a guide to rental prices would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Im not sure what is available in 1 bed bungalow bit there are some nice condos on Jomtien beach you can get good value and it has many 7-11 and family marts locally and is picking up in terms of restaurant openings it's a good value location and has the sea with a nice extended beach. can get busy at weekends with travelers from other provinces just generally quieter part of town You can get to Central Pattaya on a baht bus for 10baht in about 30 mins.

It may help if you suggest your budget as some parts of Pattaya are more expensive than others. Prices are going up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  We've been to Pattaya several times since 1981, and have a good understanding of locations, and we have our own transport, so anywhere within 10km of the sea would be considered.  However, knowing a place from holidays is totally different from living there.  With inflation to think of, our basic starting ceiling would be around 20,000 per month (without add-ons for water & electricity).  We are past the age for regular nightlife, but a stroll to a local bar or restaurant would be a bonus.  We also don't rule out a 2 bedroom property, but we don't want a 2 storey house, we've had enough of climbing stairs.

In addition to Jomtien. Pratamnak, and Cosy Beach, you might also take a look at Wong Amat.  There are  number of choices for condos there, with some on or very near to the beach.  Your budget would get you a 1 bedroom at a number of the condo projects there, some older, some newer.  If you go to the Hipflat website, click on 'Condo Directory', then click on 'Pattaya', then select 'North Pattaya', you will get lots of condo project listings for the Wong Amat area.  You can also use the website to search other areas of Pattaya you might be interested in.

Wong Amat is a nice area, quiet, but a good location, in my opinion.  Using back streets, it's an easy drive to get to Beach Road and Central Festival Mall or Dolphin Circle and Terminal 21, Central Marina, and Lotus's up the street.  Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and Pattaya International Hospital are both not far away.  Some nice seafood restaurants in the Naklua area.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

OP, literally 1,000s of accommodation options around Pattaya, and well within your 20k budget. You may want to consider the dark side, as its where most expats live. Lots of moo-baans, security, swimming pool, 7/11 closeby, western/thai dinning etc. And still only 5 ks from beach.

Your budget is way too high.

I live in a really decent condo, only 50-60 meters from the beach.

The Gallery.

Walking distance to many 711's and Family Marts.

Price, just 8000 baht.

Don't know how much it will increase when the lease ends, but you would still be under 10,000 baht, I would guess.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, delboy said:

Thanks for all your replies, lots of good info there.  We are looking in Pattaya area because we both enjoy our holidays there, and the biggest reason is that the wife wants to go there.

Everything is personal choice, but I agree with yours; and suggest at your age that Jomtien Beach on baht bus route is a better choice than Pattaya proper.  We spend 6mo in Chiang mai & 6 mo in Jomtien (start Jomtien in March to leave bad CM air).  I'm not pushing anything but 68 sq meter studios well furnished in the heart of Jomtien can be had for less than 20K.  Try googling Jomtien Complex Condotel - it fits our needs perfectly.  There are several real estate offices on ground floor.  If you pm me I can provide mobile# of one I have dealt with.

• Like 1

Sorry for repeatedly posting but just want to add that there were some past threads on "Jomtien Complex Condotel" (JCC) but the links I saved don't open now.  Since everybody has different tastes & requirements it would have been a good review for you to get different opinions.  I did however manage to save what one person posted, Quote:

"I've also spent considerable time in Jomtien Complex Condotel, and I should mention a few things:

With regard to the above comment about the pool temperature, this pool (which is located on the 4th floor, not in the ground) is virtually always cool - and it's exceptionally long: 35 meters.  It's a great pool for swimming laps, and it's very well maintained.

Directly attached to the lobby of this building are three restaurants, a convenience store, a private mailbox business, a real estate office, and a laundry service.  The 4th floor common area (which also has the pool) has a self-service laundry, a drinking water machine (for refilling water containers), free wi-fi, and an exercise room with workable equipment, a snooker table, and table tennis.  This building also has a 3 or 4 story parking garage, and restaurants and shops in Jomtien Complex are directly accessible via the lobby.  It's also about a 200 meter walk to the beach, and it has 2 tennis courts.  The location is excellent.

Unfortunately, since VT7 was built, the sea view which many of the condos in this building originally enjoyed are now blocked.  And the majority of the rooms are large (66 sq. meter) studios, which are (also unfortunately) long and narrow, which means that they can feel a bit like a cave due to the lack of natural light, especially at the end of the room farthest from the balcony.

I very much like all the amenities this building offers, but unless you happen to have a high floor condo in building B (which still has an ocean view, to the side of VT7), I don't think I would want to live in it long-term.

I hope this is helpful."

End quote

Bang Saray is worth a look, not exactly Jomtien but with the new Sukhumvit highway nearly finished it's not that far away either, not long ago looking for a friend at a stunning beautifully furnished 2 bedroom bungalow just off sukhumvit for B15000 a month, it had a 711 and some other shops right outside the entrance to the village.