Two countries with monarchies, two countries that understand the grief: Rooster on a sad ending to the week

webfact

9 hours ago, StevieAus said:

After your derogatory reference last week to those who live outside Bangkok as “ Country Bumpkins” I am sure you may be please to know that a couple of those people I have spoken to are also mourning the loss of the late Queen Elizabeth, including this one as well, for in case you didn’t know, she was our Queen as well.

I don’t think’Rooster meant that in a derogatory way . I have often been called that for living in Wales , even though I was 6 miles from Swansea City.! It’s never hurt me.. And yes, of course you are mourning the loss of the Queen who loved Australia as all of us do who have had the privilege of visiting your beautiful country, and of course all the expats around the world ( myself) will be feeling her loss greatly. 

• Like 1

I told my missus all i got was " I know " . Where we lived as a family directly behind our house , at the end of the long garden was the start of the QE 2  reservoir i believe stopped in war time, it became our playground, when it opened around 1964 the whole school went and she gave that wave and smile to us, around 60 yrs ago.   when it was full you could hear waves on a windy day, around 5 1/2 miles in circumference . 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:24 PM, Fortean1 said:

Her Majesty did good for her people and the world.  RiP

Not so sure about that but did a lot of good for where my Gran lived, Ballater. 

Even in the UK, many Scots and N.Irish would disagree. However, not the time(yet) to talk about that. 

My brother had 9 camera crews in his shop in Ballater olast week and has many stories of the Queen. All pretty secretive though, they protect the Royals there. I have seen some photos of him and the Royals, which I can't share. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:57 PM, brianthainess said:

I told my missus all i got was " I know " . Where we lived as a family directly behind our house , at the end of the long garden was the start of the QE 2  reservoir i believe stopped in war time, it became our playground, when it opened around 1964 the whole school went and she gave that wave and smile to us, around 60 yrs ago.   when it was full you could hear waves on a windy day, around 5 1/2 miles in circumference . 

When I played rugby against Prince Edward, I called him mum a few names lol

On 9/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, Freed1948 said:

I must be 'the odd one out'

You mean the only one who isn't a sycophant. I worked in England for 15 years in the 70's+, and we weren't respected at all. Just "Colonials"! But we were a source of cannon fodder and raw materials until those two-faced aristocrats ditched us, (and NZ), for their new European common market friends. And now we'll be crawling to a new buffoon!

• Haha 1

If Thailand was uniquely placed to appreciate and respect the monarchical system, not to mention the close ties as pictured in the article, why was representation at the funeral so low level - namely the Ambassador in London?

By way of comparison, with less intimate links, Japan was represented by its Emperor.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jayboy said:

If Thailand was uniquely placed to appreciate and respect the monarchical system, not to mention the close ties as pictured in the article, why was representation at the funeral so low level - namely the Ambassador in London?

By way of comparison, with less intimate links, Japan was represented by its Emperor.

I suspect he’s talking of the people, not the one in the chair. 

Another lovely read Rooster, thank you.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I think we all know the answer to that question, but are unable to discuss it here!

• Like 1