When the Humidity Persists at 100% for Days, And not Much SUN, then, How does your wife dry your clothes, bedsheets, and socks/jockstraps/etc?

GammaGlobulin

Dear Friends,

Here where I am, during the raining season, I do not have the luxury of a clothes dryer by Whirlpool.

I have a trick I use to dry my clothes, even in the most humid rainy weather.

But, I won't mention it in this topic, at the beginning.

Therefore, what do you do, or, more importantly, what does your wife do to dry your clothes in a hurry, before they become mildewed and smelling like the shorts in the locker you recall from high-school gym class, the ones you forgot from the previous semester.

One thing I do not like about Thailand is that there is a relative dearth of clothes-drying machines.

Presumably, the reason for the lack of clothes dryers is to save energy.

But, during many months of the year, just when you most wish to wash and dry your clothes, yet there is no sun in the sky.

Or, as is my case, I prefer to wash and dry my clothes between the hours of 10 PM and 4 AM.

So then, what is the best way you have found to dry your clothes after washing?

Best regards,

Gamma

Please Note:  Washing clothes is so easy for me.  I would wash my socks more often if it was only the washing that I needed to worry about.  However, it is the drying of clothes that is most troublesome.  I am SURE you are just like me in this respect.

I would wash my socks far more often if I just had some easy way to dry them after washing.

Maybe I should buy a TOP of the Line clothes washer and clothes dryer.

Note2:  For anyone coming from overseas to Thailand for retirement, please pay attention to this important topic, lest you become frustrated and irritated by the lack of clothes dryers in this land.

This topic is NOT a joke, actually.

9 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

How many here on the Forum are willing to pay BIG bucks for a substandard clothes dryer, linked in your comment? 

Sure, I agree with you, 100 percent, that if I could buy a top-of-the-line clothes dryer, then I would. 

But then, where would I put it in my house which has no dedicated laundry room? 

Not all of us have maids to do our washing, drying, and ironing. 

11 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Note2:  For anyone coming from overseas to Thailand for retirement, please pay attention to this important topic, lest you become frustrated and irritated by the lack of clothes dryers in this land.

Actually I haven't seen a more important topic this year...I will definitely pay attention to this absolutely senseless post.

Please note that, in all honesty, during my over-45 years in parts of Asia, I have rarely come across a clothes dryer, not to mention a clothes dryer with enough wattage to do the job right. 

Most clothes dryers, in Asia, just lack the power. 

So very sad, really. 

And, I know that what I say is TRUE, too! 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

7 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Absolute rubbish. I have been here just as long, and have had home clothes dryers in Thailand for over 30 of those years. Over the last 15-20 odd years the quality has been excellent for the price ranges (between 10k-40k). 

Plus your posts are strange to say the least. Just do this--

-use the sun and an iron

-go to a laundry with industrial strength washers/dryers (many around).

-or buy a washer/dryer locally, hook it up and they'll go for years.

Over and out.

image.jpeg.b9b6b42a9045111fe742f3b979d0b503.jpeg

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

Maybe you have not been living in the same Asia as have I.

Who knows.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Absolute rubbish. I have been here just as long, and have had home clothes dryers in Thailand for over 30 of those years. Over the last 15-20 odd years the quality has been excellent for the price ranges (between 10k-40k). 

Plus your posts are strange to say the least. Just do this--

-use the sun and an iron

-go to a laundry with industrial strength washers/dryers (many around).

-or buy a washer/dryer locally, hook it up and they'll go for years.

Over and out.

Please read this article, in order to become better informed about dryers, as we are used to, in the USA...thank you...

"One household staple sums up why Americans and Brits will never see the world the same way"

https://qz.com/1034914/it-doesnt-matter-where-brits-keep-their-dryers-the-point-is-they-dont-work/

Before you were born, I grew up putting things in the household dryer by the age of two.

We Americans love power, and the more the better, which is something you probably have heard about.

Power, especially world dominance, in clothes dryers, is just something that Americans know a lot about.

Anytime I see a tiny UK clothes dryer, I laugh my head off....sorry.

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

image.jpeg.b9b6b42a9045111fe742f3b979d0b503.jpeg

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

Maybe you have not been living in the same Asia as have I.

Who knows.....

What Asians do and you see versus what is available to them and you are 2 different things. Ive had dryers here since the early 80's and no problems. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dan O said:

What Asians do and you see versus what is available to them and you are 2 different things. Ive had dryers here since the early 80's and no problems. 

Happy for you that you find it so convenient to keep your socks dry, wherever you go in Asia. 

But, more interestingly, what would you estimate the household ownership of clothes dryers in Thailand to be, perchance? 

And, for that matter, how many Bentley automobiles do you see rolling down the roads, on any given Sunday, in the countrysides of Thailand? 

Also, this is not just some run-of-the-mill stupid Topic of no value. 

I have lived in parts of Asia where it rains, almost nonstop, for six months out of the year. 

I'm just trying to share a few suggestions concerning how to dry your bedsheets after washing while it's raining cats and dogs outside, and the humidity is 100 percent, and even your leather shoes are turning green with the mold. 

Some of you have enjoyed this kind of environment. 

What some locals do, not saying Thailand locals, is to wait for a sunny day. And, often they must wait 45 days to see just 5 hours of dim sunlight filtering through cloud cover. 

So what can you do, in such circumstances, to keep your powder dry? 

I had wanted to share my experiences based on many years of rainy weather. 

This is an important topic, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Happy for you that you find it so convenient to keep your socks dry, wherever you go in Asia. 

But, more interestingly, what would you estimate the household ownership of clothes dryers in Thailand to be, perchance? 

And, for that matter, how many Bentley automobiles do you see rolling down the roads, on any given Sunday, in the countrysides of Thailand? 

Your comments are disconnected from your topic and certainly are not connected from my response.

Dryers are available so to imply they aren't or difficult to obtain or be able to use isnt accurate.

Your topic was about you not what every Asian does. 

What do Bentleys have to do with anything? 

Now, let's be clear, as well.

We did not come to Thailand for things like...

Multiple Sub-Zero refrigerators in our kitchens:

image.jpeg.752e09640fc91f392995f62f52015168.jpeg

A decent clothes dryer:

image.jpeg.4ee0b8fc83441dc36a2112537243998b.jpeg

A So-so Dishwasher:

image.thumb.jpeg.0328ef79bd982ab46a3ab758de87c701.jpeg

A Front Load Clothes Washing Machine by Koolmore:

image.jpeg.1071d00e670026b65555995a0dd967e9.jpeg

If I had wanted to live in a culture in which these machines were so highly valued, then I would not have come to Thailand.

Here in Thailand, most people do not have dishwasher machines.

And, here in Thailand, we do not have clothes dryer machines.

And, most people here do not have clothes washer machines, in their homes, as well.

Or, if they do, they do not have machines like the Koolmore.

I did not come here so that I could have an American kitchen and laundry room.

Personally, I rarely wash dishes, and seldom change my clothes.

But when I do wash my clothes, which is very seldom, I do not use a clothes dryer to dry the clothes.

Just to get back on track:

How do you/your wife dry your clothes when it is raining, and has been raining, for many days?

I have seen some people start their truck engines, and then lay bed sheets across the hood of their trucks.  I guess this works.

Therefore, when hubby returns from work, after driving his pickup for 20 kilometers, then the hood should be hot enough to dry a few bedsheets.  Otherwise, then why would I see this type of thing happening?

When the sun refuses to shine for a few days, then people must adapt.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

Due to helping out on the farm I change 3 times a day, we have children and young grand children a large family 

We have a large outdoor covered area where there is usually a through breeze to assist drying even on dull or wet days, fans are often circulating the air as it is also our outdoor 'living' area, to take advantage of said breeze 

Another action is to rinse clothes if they are damp with sweat when removed and hang them in the fresh air until the next wash often same or next day 

Truck is parked nearby but I would say the drying effect is minimal ????

• Like 1

Basically, this Topic is all about Dew Point and Air Flow.

The question is whether or not hanging your laundry out to dry might be slower or faster than hanging your laundry inside to dry.

This is a fair question, assuming that one has no access to a clothes dryer imported from the USA or Korea with high wattage, maybe up to 5000 watts, or more.

Anyway, here is what I do when the Sun is not available and the outdoor humidity is about 100%, which is as it has been for several days:

I hang my clothes, the more the better, maybe about 30 kg of clothes, bedsheets, etc., in one room.

Then, I reduce the humidity in the room to about 50 percent (50% humidity).

Next, I add airflow using two or three fans.

Sometimes, while doing this, the temperature in the room is reduced to about 17 degrees C.

And then, the room becomes very uncomfortable, and even typing becomes difficult.

For sure, if you follow this suggestion, you can dry (freeze dry) any amount of clothing, depending upon your AC.

For example, most 18,000 BTU ACs can remove two liters (more or less) of water per hour from the air that passes through the indoor unit's coils.  However, this does not mean that you can remove that much water from your jockstrap and bedding hanging on the chair of your room, or on a hook. within an hour.

In most cases, you will still need to run your AC at full tilt, with the setting at 16 degrees C, in order to dry 30 kg of clothes, for several hours. And, you need to run your fans at max, as well.

Obviously, this is not a recipe for DIY clothes drying in your hotel room.

I have not taken any measurements, nor collected any data in any significant scientific way.

I am only stating that this is one option for drying a huge amount of clothes when the rain falls for weeks and weeks, and the sun don't shine.

it works.

Just reduce your ambient humidity to 50%, and turn on your fans.

This is the only way I know to dry clothes quickly, during the raining season.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Due to helping out on the farm I change 3 times a day, we have children and young grand children a large family 

We have a large outdoor covered area where there is usually a through breeze to assist drying even on dull or wet days, fans are often circulating the air as it is also our outdoor 'living' area, to take advantage of said breeze 

Another action is to rinse clothes if they are damp with sweat when removed and hang them in the fresh air until the next wash often same or next day 

Truck is parked nearby but I would say the drying effect is minimal ????

Concerning drying bed sheets on the hood of your truck... during the raining season... 

I have seen this done, first time, this week, in Thailand. 

Quite a good and innovative solution. Use the residual heat from the truck engine for a good purpose. Good for CO2 reduction, compared to using a clothes dryer which just adds CO2 to the atmosphere. 

Your grandchildren will appreciate it. 

How many grandchildren do you have? 

image.jpeg.23aa2079ef4b610d562acd0d2405e83d.jpeg

Clothes Dryers use up a huge amount of energy which could be saved by just hanging one's clothes out to dry....

Maybe it is best that most homes around the world do not have such conveniences.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Little Drops of Rain...

IF the Sun refused to shine....

After careful consideration and discussion of how to save energy, and CO2, by NOT using clothes dryers.....during the raining season...

Then, I think we deserve a suitable musical interlude.

And for all those who have clothes dryers, or use them religiously, ....  Maybe, for the good of your grandchildren...then...

...You might just BIN them?  Trash them?

Good idea?

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Now, let's be clear, as well.

We did not come to Thailand for things like...

Multiple Sub-Zero refrigerators in our kitchens:

image.jpeg.752e09640fc91f392995f62f52015168.jpeg

A decent clothes dryer:

image.jpeg.4ee0b8fc83441dc36a2112537243998b.jpeg

A So-so Dishwasher:

image.thumb.jpeg.0328ef79bd982ab46a3ab758de87c701.jpeg

A Front Load Clothes Washing Machine by Koolmore:

image.jpeg.1071d00e670026b65555995a0dd967e9.jpeg

If I had wanted to live in a culture in which these machines were so highly valued, then I would not have come to Thailand.

Here in Thailand, most people do not have dishwasher machines.

And, here in Thailand, we do not have clothes dryer machines.

And, most people here do not have clothes washer machines, in their homes, as well.

Or, if they do, they do not have machines like the Koolmore.

I did not come here so that I could have an American kitchen and laundry room.

Personally, I rarely wash dishes, and seldom change my clothes.

But when I do wash my clothes, which is very seldom, I do not use a clothes dryer to dry the clothes.

If this is your view why did you start the thread and ask and then claim you can't find a dryer that works? 

I think you start threads as a way to have something to talk about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just to get back on track:

How do you/your wife dry your clothes when it is raining, and has been raining, for many days?

I have seen some people start their truck engines, and then lay bed sheets across the hood of their trucks.  I guess this works.

Therefore, when hubby returns from work, after driving his pickup for 20 kilometers, then the hood should be hot enough to dry a few bedsheets.  Otherwise, then why would I see this type of thing happening?

When the sun refuses to shine for a few days, then people must adapt.

I Hang the clothes inside over the night if raining for days. Dryer air inside and aircondition usually make the clothes dry by the morning.

Felt

• Like 1

I live alone in a condo in Bangers, 14th floor with two aircon units. chuck the clothes on a drying rack on the balcony, whack on both AC units and hey presto washing is dry in next to no time. 

that's if I ever get around to taking it out of the machine. p'raps there's something to be said for having a ball and chain around the place after all ????

23 minutes ago, Dan O said:

If this is your view why did you start the thread and ask and then claim you can't find a dryer that works? 

I think you start threads as a way to have something to talk about. 

Please read the question posed in the topic's title. 

As far as I know, this question is on most everyone's mind at this particular time. 

We are, it seems, experiencing a most favorable very wet raining season, this year. 

I am tired of seeing farmers so stressed with worry about not receiving enough rain. 

It's a small price for me to pay, due to so much rain, that I should use my AC to dry my laundry. 

In addition, using an AC to dry laundry, as I do, is far more energy efficient than using a Korean clothes dryer. 

Why? 

Just because I could easily dry 200 kilograms of clothes in 5 hours using just one AC and two fans. 

And total energy expenditure for the entire process would amount to no more than about 4 kilowatt-hours. 

I could explain it to you, but then.... 

36 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Laundry down the road, they just wash and dry, wife irons. Not expensive. 

Wives are assets, not expenses. 

If one works out well, then why not two? 

But, really, how many wives does a man need to iron his shirt? 

One should, IMHO, have one wife for every shirt that needs pressing. 

Just as we don't wear the same shirt every day of the week, so should we have seven wives. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin