OK to buy a Chevrolet Pickup?

CrossBones

On 9/12/2022 at 12:32 AM, soi3eddie said:

IMO crazy to buy anything other than Toyota or Isuzu truck in Thailand. You need back-up and service. 

rubbish ,i have a fantastic mechanic that deals with all veihcles ,great with my chevy ,no problem getting parts from ford took just one day, anyway i stopped using chevy and toyota deales for repairs charge a fortune and believe me not up to a good standard.

16 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Electronic control unit for the air conditioning. Not available new at any price.

well i got it done here in Pattaya no problem ,garage on Sukhumvit only about 2 months ago . i am sure many of you dont know anything or where to look on a computer ,or ford on sukhumvit, yry Udom auto shop online as well .

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

well i got it done here in Pattaya no problem ,garage on Sukhumvit only about 2 months ago . i am sure many of you dont know anything or where to look on a computer ,or ford on sukhumvit, yry Udom auto shop online as well .

Truck, car and SUV servicing or repairs for Chevrolet when going on-line many places come up to check out in Sukhothai must be the same for other places throughout Thailand.

24 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

if your in Pattaya no problem whatsoever

Yeah those that live out in some one horse hick town simply do not know whats available in the big smoke.... instead whinging parts are no longer available because the only garage/beer bar does not have it on the shelf.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

rubbish ,i have a fantastic mechanic that deals with all veihcles ,great with my chevy ,no problem getting parts from ford took just one day, anyway i stopped using chevy and toyota deales for repairs charge a fortune and believe me not up to a good standard.

I'm sure that you do have a "fantastic mechanic" and I don't doubt that there are places to get good service on your Chevy. My point was based on being able to find an equally capable mechanic elsewhere or upcountry if travelling or you move to live elsewhere. That is the reason why I would only consider Toyota or Isuzu as they are ubiquitous all over Thailand (and even neigbouring countries) so virtually all garages will know how to service, obtain parts and repair properly.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:10 AM, couchpotato said:

Nothing wrong with a Chevy truck, BUT as you mentioned they have no sales or dedicated service departments for about a year now. I believe Ford (who took over their Pattaya showroom/service dept) will still service Chevy vehicles, but you are not getting Chevy trained mechanics, and will Ford cover them forever.

So in my humble opinion just find a good 2nd hand Toyota, Isuzu or Ford and you won't have any service headaches in the future.

Chevrolet made arrangements with all the Isuzu dealerships to service all Chevrolet vehicles. Isuzu is best qualified for this because years ago before General Motors built their own plants in Thailand, they had Isuzu build Chevrolets. Before the G.M. plants opened, there was no visual difference between Isuzu and Chev trucks except for the badges. 

44 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I'm sure that you do have a "fantastic mechanic" and I don't doubt that there are places to get good service on your Chevy. My point was based on being able to find an equally capable mechanic elsewhere or upcountry if travelling or you move to live elsewhere. That is the reason why I would only consider Toyota or Isuzu as they are ubiquitous all over Thailand (and even neigbouring countries) so virtually all garages will know how to service, obtain parts and repair properly.

Isuzu now does all the work on Chev. and the dealerships are well trained in servicing them. 

3 hours ago, featography said:

Isuzu now does all the work on Chev. and the dealerships are well trained in servicing them. 

Ford in Pattaya does the Chev work, the inherited it when they re-branded the main dealership.

GM and Izuzu parted ways back in 2016 so not sure how much training an Izuzu tech would have on any chev newer than that.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, CrossBones said:

if its a used truck out of service warrantee, what is the issue? Chevrolet have been selling trucks here for many years, surely its not hard to find a mechanic. - sorry im not saying you are wrong just want to know why the dealer service is so important on a 4 year old truck'

A Chevy in thailand  is like a  Stale doughnut nobody wants it. Small parts will become an issue .I owned a collision center in the United  States When Saab pulled out it became a problem just like Saturn from gm when they clised.  If it was a deal the truck would already be gone 

Have had a Chevy over 8 years at Central Province. 

Done near on 140,000 klicks.

Don't drive much more than 110k/h (no need to.)

Apart from the passenger front window auto buttons not working, all good.

Doesn't stop wifey trying to open the window. Asked her "What happens if window opens but doesn't close?"

Blank stare.

No. She has never driven.????????

Bought a 2019 Blazer here when we arrived, what you looking at 2.5 liter duramax? Yes Chevy left Thailand but parts are not and issue, MG took over the dealership in Rayong and they've done good work. Also once its out of warranty find a decent mechanic and rock on... FYI had zero trouble from my Chevy here. Suspect you will be happy with a used Chevy here. They pretty solid vehicles.. Oh yea this from someone who drove Toyota's for 40 yrs in USA...