Sweden election: Gang shootings cast shadow over vote

Scott

Police officers Martin Gunér and Pernilla Arvidson
Gang violence and gun crime have increased in Sweden in recent years

A sharp rise in gun violence and gang crime has become a leading issue in what Sweden's media have described as one of the ugliest election campaigns in history.

"Right at this spot here we had a shooting about this time last year," says Martin Gunér, a police officer in the suburb of Gottsunda, just a 15-minute drive from the medieval spires of the university city of Uppsala.

Gottsunda is notorious for drugs and gun battles, and classified by police as one of the 10 most vulnerable areas in Sweden.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62823893

BBC.jpg

Also of interest:

Sweden election: Result could take days as vote too close to call

Sweden's election was too close to call on Sunday night, Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson said.

Exit polls at first predicted victory for the incumbent left-wing coalition, but results later suggested the right-wing bloc could narrowly win.

Crime and integration of communities were major issues in the campaign, and the far-right Sweden Democrats look set to become the second-largest party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62872545

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62872545

22 hours ago, Scott said:

Gottsunda is notorious for drugs and gun battles, and classified by police as one of the 10 most vulnerable areas in Sweden.

I did a google search on that place and it seems as if it's a high rise "slum" area for the undesirables of society.

What did the planners think would happen if they corralled lots of poor people in that sort of area? Out of sight, out of mind perhaps.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure that the EU will in due course declare that Sweden can no longer be considered a democracy...

Come budget time, funds will no doubt be diverted to countries with a more “appropriate” government.

• Like 2

As I remember the right-wing block  couldn't put together a governing coalition last election. Just as likely to have the same outcome this time. The four right wing parties got half a percentage point more of the popular vote than the left block. Not exactly a landslide.  The left Social Democrats are still the party with the most popular vote and seats both of which increased this election.  Far right Sweden Democrats do not lead in any demographic.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pegman said:

As I remember the right-wing block  couldn't put together a governing coalition last election. Just as likely to have the same outcome this time. The four right wing parties got half a percentage point more of the popular vote than the left block. Not exactly a landslide.  The left Social Democrats are still the party with the most popular vote and seats both of which increased this election.  Far right Sweden Democrats do not lead in any demographic.  

Maybe you could have a "people's vote" to try to reverse the Democratic will of the Swedish people?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, candide said:

It's quite interesting to see that Brexiteers, who are supposed to be proud of the British democratic system, have no problem when other countries, such as Hungary, trample underfoot the basic democratic principles that UK brought to the world, such as the independence of the judiciary and the media.

Brexiteers have no interest in democracy.  Why else do you think they delivered the UK into the hands of the ERG?  Why did they allow Putin to meddle in 'their democratic process'?  Why do they cheer as the citizens' natural assets and rights are stripped from them?  I know you know this already Candide, but how can they worry about the democratic principles of europe whilst their own emancipation is being stripped from them?

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 2:25 AM, candide said:

It's quite interesting to see that Brexiteers, who are supposed to be proud of the British democratic system, have no problem when other countries, such as Hungary, trample underfoot the basic democratic principles that UK brought to the world, such as the independence of the judiciary and the media.

This thread is about Sweden voting in a right wing government to replace the failed policies of the Left.

Why are you babbling on about Brexit and Hungary?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:57 AM, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure that the EU will in due course declare that Sweden can no longer be considered a democracy...

On 9/17/2022 at 4:05 PM, JonnyF said:

Come budget time, funds will no doubt be diverted to countries with a more “appropriate” government.

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This thread is about Sweden voting in a right wing government to replace the failed policies of the Left.

Why are you babbling on about Brexit and Hungary?

You don't see?

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I see how you are trying to divert the thread into a whinge about losing the Brexit referendum over 6 years ago, yes.

The two quotes were included in the post by Stevenl, to which I replied. They have in common that:

- they obviously refer to the case of Hungary. It's you who introduced Hungary in the debate,

- they also insinuate that Hungary was punished because of its policy towards immigration, and not because of its restrictions to the independence of the judiciary and the media. This is a claim only made by Brexiteers (when the posters are British, of course).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, candide said:

The two quotes were included in the post by Stevenl, to which I replied. They have in common that:

- they obviously refer to the case of Hungary. It's you who introduced Hungary in the debate,

- they also insinuate that Hungary was punished because of its policy towards immigration, and not because of its restrictions to the independence of the judiciary and the media. This is a claim only made by Brexiteers (when the posters are British, of course).

This thread is about Sweden 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I see how you are trying to divert the thread into a whinge about losing the Brexit referendum over 6 years ago, yes.

How does it go - if I can paraphrase the chant from George Orwell's "Animal Farm":

" EU good, Hungary bad,

EU good, Sweden bad,

EU good, Brexit bad"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

How does it go - if I can paraphrase the chant from George Orwell's "Animal Farm":

" EU good, Hungary bad,

EU good, Sweden bad,

EU good, Brexit bad"

Kind of disrespectful comparison for Sweden, it seems! 

Edited by candide