Cabinet Approves Minimum Wage Hike to Take Effect on Oct 1

snoop1130

1663060083_586149-tnamcot.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 13 (TNA) – The cabinet approved an increase in minimum wages from Oct 1 onwards.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said the approval was for nine rates of new minimum wages for different provinces in the country. The highest minimum wage will be 354 baht per day in the Eastern Economic Corridor provinces of Chon Buri and Rayong and in Phuket province followed by 353 baht in Bangkok and five surrounding provincees.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1016845

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-09-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

32 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

This sort of thing is always a good indicator of inflation in progress.  And is it ever a good solution to the real problem?

Government doing what it does best - protecting the ruling status quo. 

Like to point out that if they raise the minimum wage too much, Thailand will become an absolute pigsty of rubbish - if not already. The higher the rate, the lower the money in recycling. We sell ALL our paper, card, bottles, tins, glass, etc every 2-3 months. Pays the electric for the month, so is ok. It's usually quite a lot of recyclables. If anyone thinks that many - or most - Thais will not simply dump 12 months of recyclables in the streets and gutters and klongs if they cannot recycle it and get money for it  then they are deluded !

• Thanks 1

This just shows you, how off the scale this government is. 

With the listed salaries you cannot make ends meet as the poverty line was drawn at +/- 12,000 Baht/month (or 400 Baht/day). Even at that rate you fight quite a challenge which explains, that those lowest on the ladder keep their children at home as they cannot afford the overpriced school uniforms which have - in some cases - the characters of a circus full of clowns. 

Mowing my lawn takes half a day and I pay, with pleasure, 500 Baht as requested so by the gentleman doing the job. Changing tiles on my terrace clocked 1,000 Baht for a six hours job and I am very happy with it. 

Such salary levels (and I have no clue, who earns that little to be frank) explain a lot. Even at double the rate people are financially not motivated to do any work and that explains the shortage on un- and low skilled labour. As increasing the lowest levels to a below-the-poverty-level triggers off discussions with better paid staff as they want to see an adjustment as well. 

Just wondering what those illegal workers from Burma, Laos and Cambodia get these days ...... certainly not anywhere close to the government's latest blessings on the subject ???? 

A tricky situation.

Obviously the minimum wage is still very low, but raising it too much leads to inflation as costs are inevitably passed on to the consumer, so people like poor pensioners or workers already earning slightly above the new minimum wage end up paying more for necessities even though they are not benefitting from the increase in salary.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said the approval was for nine rates of new minimum wages for different provinces in the country. The highest minimum wage will be 354 baht per day in the Eastern Economic Corridor provinces of Chon Buri and Rayong and in Phuket province followed by 353 baht in Bangkok and five surrounding provincees.

I can't understand why they declare a day rate?

how long is a day, 8, 10,12,14 hours?

Surely fairness would be an hourly rate..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Like to point out that if they raise the minimum wage too much, Thailand will become an absolute pigsty of rubbish - if not already. The higher the rate, the lower the money in recycling. We sell ALL our paper, card, bottles, tins, glass, etc every 2-3 months. Pays the electric for the month, so is ok. It's usually quite a lot of recyclables. If anyone thinks that many - or most - Thais will not simply dump 12 months of recyclables in the streets and gutters and klongs if they cannot recycle it and get money for it  then they are deluded !

You must have a small electric bill or a huge amount of recycle waste . My lady has a restaurant and she barely gets 200 baht a month from her recycle goods . On top of that , where I live in Issan , all 3 of the recycle yards have closed and the workers all went to Bangkok to work . We now depend on a mobile recycle guy who turns up when it suits him . You are right about rubbish in the streets and I often see people collecting it to sale but where do they take it because there are no yards near me . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I can't understand why they declare a day rate?

how long is a day, 8, 10,12,14 hours?

Surely fairness would be an hourly rate..

All this has been discussed throughout rational circles for quite some time but to no avail regarding the ruling plutocracy. 

I believe a countrywide general strike is surely in order - for a month or two.

Perhaps, that'll get their attention.

• Like 1