Haven't been in Thailand since 2019, is it worth a visit atm? (un'vax'xed un'test'ed etc.)

flyDelight

3 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

The Thai embassy might know about Thailand's requirements, such as if testing is still required.  But I doubt they would know why someone was asked to show a vaccine certificate at the Heathrow airport, and not in BKK, unless it was a Thai requirement to fly to Thailand (but not to enter).

Look at UK and Thais.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Personal choice or maybe the boss tells them

Went to 7/11 20 times never wore a mask nobody cared

Thais are used to following rules even if not logical

Yes 7/11 don't care - nearly all shopping centers don't care (I say nearly because some claimed Seacon was), and restaurants certainly don't, you dont go to Central world - no mask-  and then mask from the restaurant entry to the table - the whole <10metres - based on some small sign still stuck to window, the idea that rightly private institutions are creating their own terms of service is just not true - but admittedly there will be an abundance of out-dated posters about (often mentioning 20k fine from ministry of health)  and thais following their ritual. No one will say anything to you weather its a high end restaurant or your condo.  On the other reinforcements Thais won't throw away the plastic wrapping on a TV so I suspect this is why you still see broken temperatures sensors everywhere, there a multitude of culture things at play here thats dragging this fear into 2023.

Ah buffet gloves, jesus christ, yes unfortunately this still a thing sadly

I don't like wearing a mask either but instead of complaining and trying to make it political I decided to have fun with a mask the few places a mask is required. I ordered several novelty masks such as a Thai flag mask and a Thai monster mask,

• Like 1

Based on the comments from the posters, looks like they still sometimes check vax/test results at Suvarnabhumi. Sometimes they do, but most often not.

Has anyone taken a train from Padang Besar to Bangkok recently? I wonder if they check the vax/test results at that station or on the train ????

2 hours ago, mnomad said:

Yes 7/11 don't care - nearly all shopping centers don't care (I say nearly because some claimed Seacon was), and restaurants certainly don't, you dont go to Central world - no mask-  and then mask from the restaurant entry to the table - the whole <10metres - based on some small sign still stuck to window, the idea that rightly private institutions are creating their own terms of service is just not true - but admittedly there will be an abundance of out-dated posters about (often mentioning 20k fine from ministry of health)  and thais following their ritual. No one will say anything to you weather its a high end restaurant or your condo.  On the other reinforcements Thais won't throw away the plastic wrapping on a TV so I suspect this is why you still see broken temperatures sensors everywhere, there a multitude of culture things at play here thats dragging this fear into 2023.

Ah buffet gloves, jesus christ, yes unfortunately this still a thing sadly

Kk central

Wear mask 10m take off

Silly really

36 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

Based on the comments from the posters, looks like they still sometimes check vax/test results at Suvarnabhumi. Sometimes they do, but most often not.

Has anyone taken a train from Padang Besar to Bangkok recently? I wonder if they check the vax/test results at that station or on the train ????

I doubt it. Screenshot vaccine is easy to do. They hardly do a thorough check. Mine was real but anyone could type up a fake one. They wouldnt know. Ksr might sell em 55

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

In thailand now

Where r u? Obviously not here

Very much here 

You should go out more often 

When I say mask compliance is 90%, it refers to what I observe  not what. I wish...I despise masks 

Yes..you can walk into a mall and such without one but rest assured the Thais are seething/cursing you on the  inside.

Out of respect ,I always have one round my neck

Only last night, a woman driver stops next to me in a red light, alone in the car, wearing a mask.

These are not isolated events.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Very much here 

When I say mask compliance is 90%, it refers to what I observe  not what. I wish...I despise masks 

Yes..you can walk into a mall and such without one but rest assured the Thais are seething/cursing you on the  inside.

Only last night, a woman driver stops next to me in a red light, alone in the car, wearing a mask.

If it makes Thai people feel better, I can also have a mask around my neck. That would be no problem ????

As long as I don't have to cover my mouth or nose with it.

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Very much here 

What city is this? I just did 6 provinces? Get out more? How many you do last few weeks? 10?

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Only last night, a woman driver stops next to me in a red light, alone in the car, wearing a mask

A driver stopped at a red light? I would hope so. Whats that got to do with Thai laws on covid? What laws say drivers in cars alone have to wear masks? The woman is obviously not too smart.

My Thai buddy in NK wasnt wearing a mask or a seatbelt when driving.

Woman are just bigger rule followers.

Nearly ever Thai woman wears a mask. Most Thai guys are fairly loose with it.

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Thais are seething/cursing you on the  inside.

No they arent. Your imagination. Some Thais hate farangs cause the farangs have 50x more money. Nothing to do with masks.

A Thai woman in hotel tried to skim me for 50 baht on a car pickup. I called her bluff. She had no mask on. I kept my 50 baht.

Most of the anti farang stuff is $ related.

My main waitress in NK no mask the whole day serving customers! Nobody cared.

Some other women mask on 95% of the time. Some folks are chilled, some are not.

Try visiting 6 provinces next month. Get out more.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

If it makes Thai people feel better, I can also have a mask around my neck. That would be no problem ????

As long as I don't have to cover my mouth or nose with it.

Put it in your pocket. Most Thais in restaurants had no masks on staff or customer in Phuket or Isaan or Chiang Mai.

Put in on for hotel lobby and lift.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I would give it a miss for now.

90% mask compliance in the streets ...little foot traffic outside.

Btw...are some hotels still asking for the vaxx?

Other forum members might want to chime in on this one.

90% in the street? It depends where you are. Samui is about 3%, parts of BKK are down to 50/50 now. And where I am, there is a ton of foot traffic but there has been for a year or so. 

7 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Social media educated people who have to spew out their "opinions" on health and science should not intermingle with respectful people in other countries IMO.  

Exactly. I read that post and wondered where the poster's deep medical expertise came from and determined it was either the pub or Facebook. 

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Habit, values. Japanese have been wearing masks for decades with flus.

Some Thais are very chilled. Some Thais are big rule followers.

Smoking is illogical yet people smoke. The mask wearing could be around for years.

Still mandatory in Government offices to wear a mask and I just returned from a trip to Chaeng Wattana Immigration here in BKK.  Not only must you wear a mask but your still being asked to fill out a Covid questionnaire as well.  Your view on doing as you wish only gets you so far in this country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still mandatory in Government offices to wear a mask and I just returned from a trip to Chaeng Wattana Immigration here in BKK.  Not only must you wear a mask but your still being asked to fill out a Covid questionnaire as well.  Your view on doing as you wish only gets you so far in this country.

Whats that got to do with tourists?

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Whats that got to do with tourists?

Tourists who wish to extend their visa's for another 30 days need to head to Laksi or CW...... Guess you will just leave the country and do a border bounce and return or fly out and then return instead of paying 1900 Baht to get it extended.

16 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

90% in the street? It depends where you are. Samui is about 3%, parts of BKK are down to 50/50 now. And where I am, there is a ton of foot traffic but there has been for a year or so. 

Depends on setting. Nong Khai restaurant staff no masks whole day.

Train station 80%.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Tourists who wish to extend their visa's for another 30 days need to head to Laksi or CW.....  Guess you will just leave the country and do a border bounce and return or fly out and then return instead of paying 1900 Baht to get it extended.

So they have to put a mask on once for a short time in 30 days. Big deal? No.

Most tourists stay 7 to 16 days.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Tourists who wish to extend their visa's for another 30 days need to head to Laksi or CW....  Guess you will just leave the country and do a border bounce and return or fly out and then return instead of paying 1900 Baht to get it extended.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1154987/thailand-length-of-stay-of-foreign-hotel-guests/

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

And you buy into that?  How long have you been here since you arrived?  Most folks are staying for up to 30 days, and more will be staying longer as we get into high season since they come to escape the winters elsewhere.  Sure some come for 2 weeks because that's what they get off from work but many do stay longer.  Quality tourists which Thailand has been seeking.

4 hours ago, thaiasia said:

What I've seen no one has answered is at the very few places that ask for vax proof are they looking for any certain date of your last vax?  Mine was November 2021. I don't know anyone in my home country who got a Covid vax in 2022.  If these places or airlines accept your last vax date in 2021 why in the world would they even ask? Seems pretty strange to me. 

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And you buy into that?  How long have you been here since you arrived?  Most folks are staying for up to 30 days, and more will be staying longer as we get into high season since they come to escape the winters elsewhere.  Sure some come for 2 weeks because that's what they get off from work but many do stay longer.  Quality tourists which Thailand has been seeking.

So you ignore stats and make up your own?

Most people holiday 1 to 4 weeks max.

Indians and Malays 1 week

Euros 14 to 16 days

Did you see 20,000 people line up for visa extension in a single day? No 

Most folks stay less than 20 days as per stats

You can have your own opinion

You cant have your own facts

15 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

What I've seen no one has answered is at the very few places that ask for vax proof are they looking for any certain date of your last vax?  Mine was November 2021. I don't know anyone in my home country who got a Covid vax in 2022.  If these places or airlines accept your last vax date in 2021 why in the world would they even ask? Seems pretty strange to me. 

Nobody asked for vaccine proof from me outside an airport. 

Nobody is asking anymore.