Alcohol on Thai trains............

SunsetT

Just like everywhere and everything else in Thailand... ‘there are no rules until there are rules’... 

I’m sure many who want to do so carry their own booze onto the train...  thats pretty much a given IMO. They’re possibly not even that discrete about it... but because there is a law, it perhaps forces those who may misbehave to be respectful of others.

Thats about it. 

If you want to take your beer, wine or whisky on the train then simply do so.

Be *discrete, be respectful of others. Enjoy your journey. 

*that may mean masking your cans (idea above), or simply putting wine in a flask or other bottle, or Whisky in a flask etc...    is not hard and if caught its not exactly crime of the century. 

------

At some point in the near future I’m going to end up doing a ‘Father & Son trip’ on the train from BKK to Chiang Mai (Wives will fly up and meet us there - we’ll all fly back after the weekend)...    Myself, a mate and our sons will take an adjoining 1st Class Cabin... and enjoy the ride - Kids will take snacks etc, we take cards and play some games...  I’m sure we’ll take some booze with us... It never crossed my mind not to, regardless of the daft regulations. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just like everywhere and everything else in Thailand... ‘there are no rules until there are rules’... 

I’m sure many who want to do so carry their own booze onto the train...  thats pretty much a given IMO. They’re possibly not even that discrete about it... but because there is a law, it perhaps forces those who may misbehave to be respectful of others.

Thats about it. 

If you want to take your beer, wine or whisky on the train then simply do so.

Be *discrete, be respectful of others. Enjoy your journey. 

*that may mean masking your cans (idea above), or simply putting wine in a flask or other bottle, or Whisky in a flask etc...    is not hard and if caught its not exactly crime of the century. 

------

At some point in the near future I’m going to end up doing a ‘Father & Son trip’ on the train from BKK to Chiang Mai (Wives will fly up and meet us there - we’ll all fly back after the weekend)...    Myself, a mate and our sons will take an adjoining 1st Class Cabin... and enjoy the ride - Kids will take snacks etc, we take cards and play some games...  I’m sure we’ll take some booze with us... It never crossed my mind not to, regardless of the daft regulations. 

You can also poke your head out the window and have a cigarette , have a spliff as well .

Hide your alcohol in a Lucozade bottle and hold that in one hand and poke your head out the train window holding the cigarette in the other hand 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You can also poke your head out the window and have a cigarette , have a spliff as well .

Hide your alcohol in a Lucozade bottle and hold that in one hand and poke your head out the train window holding the cigarette in the other hand 

...And be decapitated or electrocuted by a hanging cable...555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But that would be stupid and crossing a line.....  

There is a common sense approach which you are missing. 

Smoking is not permitted on public transport world wide. Drinking alcohol is permitted on trains in the vast majority of countries because it's not an issue. 

There is no logical reason for the ban on alcohol on Trains in Thailand. 

There is a perfectly local reason for banning smoking on any form of public transport, including trains. 

Thus: Please argue the debate with at least a sensible strawman fallacy.... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But that would be stupid and crossing a line.....  

There is a common sense approach which you are missing. 

Smoking is not permitted on public transport world wide. Drinking alcohol is permitted on trains in the vast majority of countries because it's not an issue. 

There is no logical reason for the ban on alcohol on Trains in Thailand. 

There is a perfectly local reason for banning smoking on any form of public transport, including trains. 

Thus: Please argue the debate with at least a sensible strawman fallacy.... 

There are rules and laws that people should abide to .

People shouldn't really pick and choose which laws/rules they want to abide with .

Drink driving , don't like that law so wont adhere to it .

Drinking on trains, nope don't like that law either . 

Other people stealing my beer , I agree with that law and they should be arrested .

You cannot pick and choose which laws you want to abide with 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

People shouldn't really pick and choose which laws/rules they want to abide with .

Other people stealing my beer , I agree with that law and they should be arrested .

But I don't drive a train, I just look out the window..........????

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You'd fit in well living in China.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

These are the musings of a mind absent of intelligent discretion.  

Dumbed down strawman logic - there is no similarity between drinking as a passenger on a train and drink driving - your example is not a clever one. 

Again...  there is no logical reason for that law to be in place. 

The same as the 2-5pm ban on buying booze - many people break that law - its not same as drink driving is it?...  please think before you answer with another dumbed down strawman fallacy. 

Your examples highlight a fundamental absence of reality. 

We all pick and choose which laws we follow.....  

Ever went to the beach without your facemask a year ago ? (example rhetorical question). 

Ever drive at 130kmh to keep up with the flow of traffic ?

Ever have a beer at 3pm in the afternoon ?

Your ‘black and white’ approach to this discussion is from an irrationally rigid view-point that fails to recognise the realities of life.

Yes, no booze on Trains is a the law, but an irrelevant and pointless one - the law arrived over night, it can equally disappear over-night on the whim of a decision maker - it is not a law which has any genuine benefit to society on a whole, unlike other laws you have exampled such as drink driving laws. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

yes you can.  it's only wrong if you get caught.

Edited by Lemsta69
typo

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

yes you can.  it's only wrong if you get caught.

I would find it to be too embarrassing , like a young ticket inspector telling me  to pour my drink down the sink whilst sat on a train . 

Sitting there for the rest of the journey without a drink and all the other passengers know you've been a naughty boy and had your drink taken away from you .

I would find that to very embarrassing 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I used to enjoy a couple of beers followed by a meal in the restaurant car to shorten a long distance overnight trip

Now get used to popping a pill. You'll soon be so chilled out that you won't miss beer or anything else. Arrange for a wakeup call.

23 hours ago, SunsetT said:

if one discreetly consumes a couple of concealed cans

Pre-adolescent. Reminds me of smoking pilfered ciggies in basements w/ my mates at age 10. What a thrill.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'd get off the train before I'd tip it down the sink .....    but that's just me. !   

They wouldn't say tip it down the sink, you would be asked to hand it over, if unopened it can be reclaimed at destination.

Having spent a night adjacent to a bunch of enebriated back packers, looked like they had mixed drink in coke bottles, there is something to be said for the ban.

• Haha 1