Small Bike for Tall Guy?

NoDisplayName

I'm looking for a suitable small motorcycle for me and the new missus.  This will be solely for use around a mid-sized town in Issan with good roads and light traffic.  No Bangkok traffic, no highway use, no long trips, although I'll probably occasionally ride solo to Korat.

I've looked at some of the popular scooters, but I don't seem to fit.  1.90m, 34L inseam, size 47 shoes.  They all feel like circus clown tricycles.  Any recommendations for a sub-400cc bike for a taller guy?  Prefer a cruiser style, not a crotch-rocket.

I'm looking for something like a Honda Phantom 200, Kawa W250, Keeway K-Light 200, Zongshen Ryuka RK125, Lifan 250.  Any comments about these concerning quality or sizing?

Currently, leaning towards a Centaur CT-170i.....

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If you don't know much about bikes I would go for a CRF250L or a Honda CB250.

Former bike was a Concours which also felt too small.  Added peg lowers, bar risers and taller tires.

CB250 looks interesting, new model is twister?  I'll get out of the apartment and do some in-person research once i get over the covids.

Edited by NoDisplayName

Judging out of the article, it seems like you already know what you are asking about.

Quality will always be best with the choice of Honda bike in Thailand. regarding possible repairs as well.

Now, to the problem, 1,90 and 47 in shoe size. Man, that will make almost everything look tiny and small.

14 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Former bike was a Concours which also felt too small.  Added peg lowers, bar risers and taller tires.

CB250 looks interesting, new model is twister?  I'll get out of the apartment and do some in-person research once i get over the covids.

With most new bikes you usually have to do some adjustments and changes to suspension positions if you are a taller person. 

The CRF & KLX are tall bikes the CB not so much but some height increasing can be made. 

• Thanks 1

I have short legs and that's one of the reasons I loved my Concours so I can understand how it must have felt a bit small for you.  Such a great powerband though.  I do miss it but wouldn't have been a good fit for Thailand.

The Kawasaki Versys line of touring bikes tend to be pretty tall.

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

I have short legs and that's one of the reasons I loved my Concours so I can understand how it must have felt a bit small for you.  Such a great powerband though.  I do miss it but wouldn't have been a good fit for Thailand.

The Kawasaki Versys line of touring bikes tend to be pretty tall.

Yeah I forgot about the smaller engine Versys they reasonably high and have adjustable suspension maybe. 

• Like 1

IF you are looking for an actual Motorcycle... 

BMW GS310 - the size is easily sufficient to feel extremely comfortable and its a relatively light motorcycle.... easy for highway riding etc...  

Price is about THB 230,000....   so a lot of this depends on your budget. 

I know its not in your question, but IF you are OK with a Scooter style bike. 

Honda ADV 350 - again, the size is easily sufficient, its practical and it has the grunt for highways - a far better machine than many ‘conventional’ motorcycles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've looked at some of the popular scooters, but I don't seem to fit. 

Probably many bikes will look too small for you. Is that your concern?

I am about your size and one of my bikes is a 150cc Suzuki Raider. Is it too small? In a way, yes. But I can easily use it without any problems. I think we all get used to what we (have to) use. Sure, there could be other bikes which fit better, but if you don't plan long trips then I wouldn't worry about that too much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Probably many bikes will look too small for you. Is that your concern?

I am about your size and one of my bikes is a 150cc Suzuki Raider. Is it too small? In a way, yes. But I can easily use it without any problems. I think we all get used to what we (have to) use. Sure, there could be other bikes which fit better, but if you don't plan long trips then I wouldn't worry about that too much.

It's not as much the looking too small, but the cramped feeling that my knees are up around my earlobes. 

a-circus-performer-rides-a-tiny-clown-bi

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Looks like a pit bike....  Not sure theres room for a 190cm guy and his wife on that.... 

Might have the same wheelbase as the H250s @ 136/142cm, why I used the dimension photo.  Just another option most don't think of.

Range sucks, but great for around town, and looks nice-ish

image.png.89e96f17026b926a08c6cae0cb8dc07d.png

10 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Since a few years Honda only sells the low version of the CRF in thailand

Thanks never noticed that it would be still easy enough to put back to the older version height. 

I don't think KLX has changed.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Might have the same wheelbase as the H250s @ 136/142cm, why I used the dimension photo.  Just another option most don't think of.

Range sucks, but great for around town, and looks nice-ish

image.png.89e96f17026b926a08c6cae0cb8dc07d.png

No screen for doing over 200kph. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a second hand CB500X? Cheap for under 100k, easy service in Korat.

If cruiser then maybe a second hand Vulcan 650? I think they can be adjusted quite a bit. Or a Honda Rebel (300 or 500). Personally I never found cruiser style bikes too comfortable.

I know those are not sub 400cc but if buying second hand then those might still fit the budget vs buying a smaller one new. Maybe tell us your budget instead of a cc limit. I'd stick to Honda or Kawa for quality and peace of mind.

CRF300 Rally would be a good fit for an Issan town.

Or if you really want a cruiser, a Rebel 300.

I've just put dual sport tyres and a radiator guard on my MT09 in preparation for taking it to our farm near Korat. Probably overkill for Issan, but it's sitting around in BKK not getting much use and I think the motard style riding position will be quite well suited to the roads around there.

• Like 1