Air Conditioner with R32 coolant - what can go wrong?

My new ACs are Daikin Zetas. They use R32 coolant.

https://www.daikin.co.th/en/product/zetas-inverter-ftkz-vv2s/

Daikin writes: R32 is an environmentally friendly coolant used by Daikin for the first time in Thailand.

It seems Daikin sells these units only in Thailand and they have only Thai manuals.

The guy who installs it works since 20 years with ACs, but I am not so sure that he is up to date with his knowledge and diligent with his work.

So it wouldn't surprise me if he will ignore this detail and just (try to) use just the same coolant which he always used.

My question is: Are there measures in place like a different valve size on the AC which makes it "impossible" to use the wrong coolant? Or would it be easy for an unexperienced or lazy technician to put the wrong coolant in an AC?

And if it is possible to use the wrong coolant, would it be easy to replace that wrong coolant later? Or is it like using gasoline and diesel in a car? If you use the wrong one, then you have a big problem?

Thanks

If you are worried about that, then buy the Coolant yourself and then you know it's R32 for sure.

We did when we bought our Daikin Inverters approx 5-6 years ago and the installer (Baan Nork) didn't know about R32 yet

It's only a small one but enough for a couple refills (and will last a long time if the installer did a good job, because AFAIK it's a closed circuit and shouldn't need a refill (but I am maybe wrong about that)

Edit: When I get home  I will post a picture of it and will also ask the wife how much it was.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

If you are worried about that, then buy the Coolant yourself and then you know it's R32 for sure.

Thanks. That is a theoretical possibility but it's not my intention to do that.

I live in a high floor and the compressors are obviously outside and one wrong step means certain death. I am too old for that s#%$%.

I like the idea of delegating things and someone else should do it. But as we all know, sometimes Thai, and not only Thai, technicians are not as good as we hope. And it's a good idea to check what they are doing. 

• Haha 1

Ive serviced my own a few times. I have 2 R32 units and one older R22 unit - all sharp. The regulator and charge valve fittings are the same (certainly on sharp units). The gauge is marked out showing the pressures for each type of gas as the charge pressure is very different for each. Very unlikely you will ever need to top up the gas -as what comes in the compressor from new will likely be enough - unless you have particularly long refrigerant lines running between the compressor and the indoor unit.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. That is a theoretical possibility but it's not my intention to do that.

I live in a high floor and the compressors are obviously outside and one wrong step means certain death. I am too old for that s#%$%

No that is not what I meant to do it yourself, we don't do that as well!

Have the aircon cleaning guys come out and do it, but just tell them "Here is the R32 Gas Bottle if you need to refill it"

So you save on they charging you for the gas (they may or not use (been there done that)

and

You will be certain that it is the right gas for your Aircons

This is the Bottle we bought (about 45cm high). Wifey said it cost (back then) around 1-2k THB (Edit: Sorry that the bottle is a bit dirty ????)

bottle.thumb.JPG.79ebc1df1ba187f1185e126dc1ad7568.JPG

Edited by MJCM
Added some extra info
  • Thanks 2

New AC has the refrigerant pre charging at the factory in outside unit

If line length under standard no need for install worker to use refrigerant

daikin model FTKZ-VV2S has chargeless value at 10 meter

r32 refrigerant is in thailand for some years ac tech understand system use different refrigerant

if this makes a big worry check refrigerant tank used by install workers if they require some line top up

• Thanks 1

The air con unit is brand new? If so it will have come will a full charge… you should never need to have it topped up.

We have three new FTKM18WV units. Very good units and of course R32.

If units come with Thai manual.. do a Google search… you should find something. But TBH just select the mode (cool) temperature and fan speed 1-5 or auto.

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The air con unit is brand new? If so it will have come will a full charge… you should never need to have it topped up.

We have three new FTKM18WV units. Very good units and of course R32.

If units come with Thai manual.. do a Google search… you should find something. But TBH just select the mode (cool) temperature and fan speed 1-5 or auto.

Thanks. 

Until recently I thought ACs come empty and then someone must connect the pipes and put "gas" in them. It seems I was wrong...

About the Thai manuals: It seems this model (series of) is only sold in Thailand and until now I only saw Thai manuals on paper and for download. I will ask Daikin if they have an English version.

If there is no English version, then I will look for the English manual of a similar AC from Daikin and read that one. And then I am pretty sure I will work out the differences.

The basic functionality should be obvious. But I like to read manuals because sometimes there are additional functions which are not obvious.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. 

Until recently I thought ACs come empty and then someone must connect the pipes and put "gas" in them. It seems I was wrong...

About the Thai manuals: It seems this model (series of) is only sold in Thailand and until now I only saw Thai manuals on paper and for download. I will ask Daikin if they have an English version.

If there is no English version, then I will look for the English manual of a similar AC from Daikin and read that one. And then I am pretty sure I will work out the differences.

The basic functionality should be obvious. But I like to read manuals because sometimes there are additional functions which are not obvious.

Just put Daikinxxxxxxxxx (ie: model nbr) into google and it will come up with many sites for manuals, error codes, brochures, sales docs etc. I just did it yesterday for something I wanted to check.

• Like 1