Thais "losing face" to foreigners - bus sign gets a lot of online attention!

webfact

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

I understood everything on that sign except KM8 and I don't speak much Thai. These signs have been there as long as I remember.

The question is why are rich, wealthy foreigners taking a non airconditioned baht busses in Bangkok?

The Thai forums such as Panthip are full of this stuff.... 

Many people seem to think its just foreigners on forums such as this who make critical observations of ‘some’ things Thai... then people go online to accuse said ‘poster’ of being a Thai-basher etc while being completely unaware of how much the Thai’s are ‘bashing’ the issue and often ‘bashing’ the mentality of ‘some’ of their countrymen, just as we do in the west... 

(far more similarities between us than differences !).... 

This ‘jumbled letters things' is one of those ‘cute but a little embarrassing’ ones... 

Similar to ‘<deleted> Curry’ in a restaurant menu.. cute... but it underlines a lack of attention to detail.

When observed at higher levels we see this same lack of detail impacting people negatively, sometimes dangerously, as can be observed in the ‘electrics’ in Thailand etc.... 

I recall a Thai IT preparing a computer for me, he’d installed Windows....  When I received the computer the Windows was installed in Thai....  (this was working for an international company).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

I understood everything on that sign except KM8 and I don't speak much Thai. These signs have been there as long as I remember.

The question is why are rich, wealthy foreigners taking a non airconditioned baht busses in Bangkok?

we do, gone up to 8 baht though these days!

Edited by proton

18 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What baffles me is that there are many "farangs" living here. Any one of which would be happy to give the correct phrasing or spelling.

why would you do that unless they're offering a couple grand USD for your translation services? only monkeys and English teachers work for peanuts.

• Haha 2

I understand when it's a small business, they don't really have a competent authority to formulate the text.

But this <deleted> sign at Pattaya intersections. They couldn't have formulated it in a more confusing way.

Am I supposed to turn while it's red? Do I wait for the green to turn?

Any other way they wrote this it would be more clear:

"Only turn on green"

"Don't turn when it's red"

"Wait for the green light to turn"

9849.JPG

• Like 1

Status is everywhere.  Losing face is about losing status.  Caste system is also in Thailand.

"Because of Thailand’s hidden "caste system" — which is linked to popular Buddhist notions that the poor deserve their lower status because of accumulated demerits from previous lives — Bangkokians typically have a profoundly paternalistic view of the masses."

So losing face to a farang would be very unlucky.

• Like 2