Thais "losing face" to foreigners - bus sign gets a lot of online attention!

webfact

It's fine.

I can't read  Thai. I live in Thailand. I'm appreciative for any effort. I bet this was painted on by someone who barely made it thru some <deleted> public school but still can write that. Thanks.

Typical tourists shouldn't be on red busses anyway. Most will avoid all buses not running to from aairport. Foreigner should know which bus they're getting on beforehand. Simples.

Every year they get softer.

Tempest in a teacup

Edited by BonMot

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Ever heard of "community spirit"?

I am always wary of those who self-righteously criticize English teachers. I bet you would secretly love to do it but don't have a degree. 

community spirit means jack to my landlord when the rent is due. 

as for English teaching, nope not in the slightest bit interested in it. however, some of my friends are or were English teachers so I have no issues with the profession per se. a couple of them run their own school a little bit south of here. 

but getting paid the ludicrously low salaries that are on offer here? now that's just nuts. 

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

At least they're trying, not like some. 

Geeze, there's always someone complaining about anything these days. 

They are trying and yes locals may well understand them... however visitors to the city both Thai and foreign may struggle when they're trying to get around, not being familiar with place names.

17 hours ago, Spock said:

All very well for you to defend the inept English translation but let's not forget that this is a sign at a major bus station and there is no excuse for authorities getting this so very wrong. 

No it isn't.  It is written on the side of a rickety old red and white bus that has probably never seen a tourist in its 50 years of service.  And honestly I had no problem understanding it, I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

Slight off topic ; A story I will always remember when in NZ, told to me by a 'swing band' musician, 

on passing a park with a bandstand, decorated with big musical notes around the

top, "those notes used to read the national anthem, then the council came along' took them off for re-paint, and put them back up in no particular order. " :cheesy:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robin said:

How many of the critics he could make  better job of bus route signs in Thai for their home cities.

At least Thailand is trying to be helpful

However, the difference is, E.G. an English person is more likely to Google it then check, send translation to management, check, maybe find a Local Thai and double check. 

We have all been to those restaurants that the food smells so good but the menu will bring you a smile by offering Frenhc Freis, <deleted> fried rice, side salda or the Weakly spechal,  lamp roast - Loverrrly!!

Most every mobile phone, computer has access to a spelling checker which will underline the confusing english words and in most cases will offer suggestions.  In my many years living here, I have to say that more and more thais are speaking english. Hopefully it will be less confusing as time goes on.

As a previous poster said, my Thai is worst than most thai's english so I don't complain. I just get out google translate and the world is right again ????

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I never criticise or laugh at Thai spelling in English.

Whatever is written is a million times better than anything that I could write in Thai.

The same with pronunciation. And anyway it’s not difficult- see this :

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.